Railroad Line Forums - The Gallery: Jan. 2012 "Rolling Stock Revisited"
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 53 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 The Gallery: Jan. 2012 "Rolling Stock Revisited"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: In the RAW Topic Next Topic: Photoshop 10 CS5 vs. Elements 10.... Anyone?
Page: of 12

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:15:27 AM  Show Profile
It has been about four and a half years sine we have devoted a Photo Gallery to "rolling stock". I thought we could kick off 2012 by revisiting these cars that ride the rails of our layouts and dioramas.

Whether is is a weathered kit, a car built from scratch, or an interesting 'oddity', post the pictures here. A quick mention of the origins of the piece are always welcome. If you have a prototype picture that you've taken, it is also welcome.

I once again caution everyone to keep copyright issues in mind. If you didn't take the picture, it isn't yours to post. Links to photos on the web are allowed, however.

In consideration for those on dial-up, please keep your photos to 80KB or smaller.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:32:04 AM  Show Profile
For you mining enthusiasts, here is a neat car to build. It is from the Sterling Hill Mine in Franklin. The top of the car is really flat, the stuff you see there are other items of interest in the museum. In case you are interested, the wheel diameter is 12" and the rails are 2' apart.

Sorry about the big yellow pencil in this picture.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message

Red P
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message

P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eightnotch/

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage
i asume ready to run iteams are ok to post?
heres a couple HO cars i did for a friend, not quote prototipical, but heck, not my models and i dont like counting rivets :D

and one of my own from my ho days

Martin Fischer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  10:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Fischer's Homepage
A small narrow gauge spreader I scratchbuilt from a drawing a very early (January 1976) Gazette:

Pulleys and other hardware were built from scratch mostly in brass. The blades can be folded up.

Regards
Martin

Edited by - Martin Fischer on 01/01/2012 10:24:28 AM

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  11:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage
Here are some of my cars:

Weathered Branchline car in HO.

This one is a scratchbuild in brass, inspired by the shorty combine that John Allen made:

The chassis is from various bits in the parts drawer....

One of my weathered cars, a Pennsy 40':

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile
I like the wood load on the flatcar, that's something that's not modeled often enough. But to be a nit-picker: What would keep that load from shifting over either end of the car, particularly given a hard stop? Seems to me there should be some sort of bracing at the ends of the lumber stack. I've been thinking about lumber loads on flatcars, which is why I noticed this.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  1:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage

Tractors on a flatcar on the south siding in North Dover. This piece of rolling stock came to me from my good friend, Trevor Marshall.

This tankcar belonged to my late friend, Howard Scodras, so it is very dear to me. It is sitting on the north siding in North Dover on my B&M layout.

Another car from Howard's collection now residing on my layout. I love the look of coal loaded hoppers.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  2:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
A kitbashed CN MOW car, based upon a prototype:

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  2:18:33 PM  Show Profile
Bob, your collection of cool stuff,like this car, never ceases to amaze me!

Greg Shinnie

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  2:41:55 PM  Show Profile
I haven't done much with rolling stock, but here is a pic of a Stoney Creek flatcar kit I built.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Throughout this Monthís thread, Iíll be posting pictures of rolling stock Iíve made for my military train. To start with, this was the first piece I made a year or so back of a helicopter. It is an Italeri 1:72 scale kit of an OH-13 Sioux helicopter. Mounted onto a Model power flatcar with Intermountain wheels and Kadee couplers.
The second picture is of an old Tyco Trailer truck that I painted OD Green and used a Micro Scale decal of the Army Trans Corp. Mounted onto an old Tyco Flatcar with Intermountain wheels and Kadee couplers. I also mounted a Johnny Lightning military vehicle from their Battle of the Bulge series.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  4:04:50 PM  Show Profile
I've built a few cars since June 2007.
This Sn3 flanger is a kit by Rio Grande Models. I had always been intimidated by the notice, but decided to make it for an RR-Line challenge, and I completed it in august 2007 (it was the time when I completed my challenge projects in time...)

SteveH
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  5:47:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

I like the wood load on the flatcar, that's something that's not modeled often enough. But to be a nit-picker: What would keep that load from shifting over either end of the car, particularly given a hard stop? Seems to me there should be some sort of bracing at the ends of the lumber stack. I've been thinking about lumber loads on flatcars, which is why I noticed this.

dave

Dave;
You mean like this?

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cn661820&o=cn

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  6:13:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SteveH

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

dave

Dave;
You mean like this?

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=cn661820&o=cn

Uh, yeah...

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 12 Previous Topic: In the RAW Topic Next Topic: Photoshop 10 CS5 vs. Elements 10.... Anyone?  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000