Railroad Line Forums - Rolling Stock for the SR&N
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 72 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Rolling Stock for the SR&N
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Building Brass Kit Topic Next Topic: Four-wheel HOn2 chassis for very small cars
Page: of 3

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Folks! I'm enjoying building them. I'm thinking I'd like to do and older Dyer built 24 foot boxcar next. I also have plans somewhere for a B&SR 26' boxcar that looks nice...

Bruce, I've been using brass wire instead of the usual fishing line lately because I tend to pull fishing line too tight and 'buckle' my cars. Especially my flatcars which don't have much to them...

-Cody

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  12:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Cody. I've been using fishing line, but I think that I'll give brass wire a try on my current build.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  12:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice roster, Cody.

Frederic Testard

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  6:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings Folks,

A new piece is in the works for my SR&N. It's a Steven's Creek Models Monson 26' boxcar:

It still needs lots of detail bits attached and some paint. I modified the kit a little by building semi-scale draft gear and using McHenry couplers, which I have mixed feelings about.

More soon,

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  6:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And I've also been working on an enclosed flanger snowplow based on a SR&RL prototype. Just started but looking pretty good I think. It's running on an old Fleischmann N-scale 4-wheel chassis.

As usual, more updates as they occur.

-Cody

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  6:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks real good, Cody. How long is the flanger?

Jeff S.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  6:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff, it's 18 feet, 3 inches over the end beams. It's a little shorter than the prototype I based it on, which is Sandy River & Rangley Lakes No. 505. There's a drawing in the May/June 1990 NG&SLG.

-Cody

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm familiar with that one. I like the idea of using the 4-wheel frame.

Jeff S.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  6:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used the one I had with the closest wheelbase to the prototype. I could have modified one to be correct but I'm a freelancer and am just going for the 'Maine-look'...

I want to finish the Forney I started ages ago and get some Maine-style passenger equipment in the works next.

-Cody

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  6:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the forney you were building from a Model Power unit?

Jeff S.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  10:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, waaaay back. I decided to just use a Bachmann unit the kit was designed for, but I'm going to remotor it somehow. I'll have to dig up the Model power mechanism and see what else I can do with it...

-Cody

centercab
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  07:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lookin' good, Cody! Where does one find HOn30 trucks now-a-days? Grandt Line trucks are impossible to find.

-------------------------
Chuck

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  08:20:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Model RR General Store has HOn30 trucks. I think you can also get them from Chivers Finelines in England.

Jeff S.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  08:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There are also trucks being produced by 3D printing. Check Shapeways.com.

Jeff S.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  11:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a few pairs of Grandt Line and Chivers Finelines trucks stashed away for future projects. I also plan to use narrowed Kadee HOn3 trucks with Micro-Trains n-scale 36" wheelsets which works out close to 20" in HO scale. I bodged on pair together and it wasn't too much work, I just narrowed the bolster, glued the sideframes on with Krazy glue and made a new bottom plate with a styrene C-beam. They look reasonable and run pretty nice.

-Cody

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Building Brass Kit Topic Next Topic: Four-wheel HOn2 chassis for very small cars  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000