Railroad Line Forums - The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 230 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road Topic Next Topic: My 1878 Utah Territory projects
Page: of 95

Hawghead
Section Hand

Posted - 12/25/2018 :  10:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan

Ahh, Caspia trees. Just never heard of them referred to as Jack Works trees before. Anyway, thanks for the link, now get busy building something else we can drool over.

Scott

There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug and play.

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2018 :  07:28:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, he is a great inspiration for me too. I just loved the articles on the older MR.
Sorry Scott, off course its Caspia trees.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  03:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
been busy building a OO9 exhibition layout. Fell in love with Peggy which is a new Bachmann OO9 Baldwin that came out some time ago. Fantastic model. Here is a link:
https://www.hattons.co.uk/82984/Bachmann_Branchline_391_027_Baldwin_Class_10_12_D_4_6_0T_Peggy_in_Ashover_Railway_crimson/StockDetail.aspx

Amazing detail for such a small model.

here is my small sidetrack in icy blue which hopefully will soon be in green.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2019 :  10:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

I agree, Peggy is a beauty.

As a frequent reader of Railway Modeller, I most enjoy the OO9 layouts, always imaginative and full of atmosphere. I’m looking forward to your updates.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 04/07/2019 10:25:04 AM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  09:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

009? That's another new one on this Yank. (I'm always learning something from you Internationals!) What gauge track does it operate on? "G" scale track? Nice models at your Hattons link.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  11:20:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
009 is British OO scale (1/72) on 9mm track, which is the track gauge for N scale. This is close to US 2' scale. More importantly, since HOn30 shares the same track gauge, we can use a lot of 009 stuff for HOn30, and vice versa. (I have a couple really nice 009 side dump cars that I got from England. They don't look that much out of scale, even behind a small 0-4-2.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/09/2019 :  3:17:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave!

Very interesting!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2019 :  09:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2019 :  2:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys
long time no see! Sorry for being absent from the forum. I pop in once or twice checking the progress of things but its been awhile (months to tell the truth) since I posted an update. Thanks for the bump Bob!

I thought to do a little progress report. The last half year has seen little progress on the layout as I have been busy building two Pullman cars for a customer. They took much longer to finish than first anticipated but now they are finished.

I'm now continuing working on my Mogul 2-6-0 model which now has DCC installed and a nearly finished paintjob. Next in line is to add the decals to the driving wheels.

The paintwork is based on the Eureka 4-4-0.

Happy modeling!
Håkan

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2019 :  10:09:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is looking so good Håkan! I'm trying to decide to follow the Glenbrook or the Eureka as my paint prototype. The Biggest difference is the smokebox graphite is a light gray on the Glenbrook. The Eureka had a lot more brass on it too. What did you use for the Russia Iron? Are those your own decals?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 11/11/2019 10:10:48 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2019 :  4:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob!
its loosely based on the Eureka. The loco looks more like a Brooks than a Baldwin but I went for the Baldwin scheme anyway. Mostly as I could not find any good photos of a Brooks in my literature that shows the lining in a good way.
The russia iron is my mix of Testors metalizer gun metal mixed with metalizer stainless steel. I think the gun metal in itself is too dark and the stainless steel lightens it up a little.
The decals I made myself. My ancient ALPS doesn't do coherent work anymore so its a lot of testing and fiddling to make it work.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  03:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Finally the painting and decaling is done and I have carefully assembled the loco to see that everything fits. Next is test the loco so everything works. Disassembling the loco and painting has a nasty habit to make the loco to not run as good as it did before painting. But I hope it will this time. After that it is only thing left is to add some fuel to the tender and install an engineer and fireman.

I found some great looking figures in UK which is printed on demand. They make them both in OO and HO scale so I have ordered this engineer:
https://hardyshobbies.co.uk/shop/footplate/footplate-crew-sat-leaning-on-cab-side-sheet/

Håkan

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  07:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a beautiful loco, Håkan! Here's hoping for a successful trial run.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  07:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Håkan:

What a beautiful engine. The paint and lettering is fantastic. I love it's lines, too. I must refresh my memory and reread your previous posts to learn what model you've used to create this engine. I just may have to build me one "one of these days".

Thanks for the update!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2019 :  09:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan,

Certainly a handsome locomotive! I love the paint job and choice of colors.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/24/2019 11:05:07 AM

Page: of 95 Previous Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road Topic Next Topic: My 1878 Utah Territory projects  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000