Railroad Line Forums - Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: O Scale Plaster Powder House Topic Next Topic: Chambers Coaling Co.  

Oliver W. Jr.
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  1:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Oliver W. Jr.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been attempting to restore some old cars lately. The latest challenge is a partially-assembled Central Valley side-door caboose. The original builder did a good job on what has been done, but there are a few details I'd like to upgrade and/or relocate.

Most of the assembled kits I've been working on were assembled with white glue, which is a snap to dissolve-- I just soak the whole model in water until it comes apart. On this particular caboose, however, it appears that Goo or some other rubber-based cement was used on the metal-to-wood joints. Is there any sort of solvent I can use to soften or remove the old glue?

Karl Osolinski
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  3:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello,

I use Goo and Pliobond contact cements and got tired of the Pliobond getting so thick in the jar that I tried all kinds of stuff to thin it -nothing worked.

Finally,I contacted DAP and they make a solvent specifically to thin (dissolve) contact cement...DAP Weldwood Standard Solvent is the stuff to get.

Karl O.
Berkley, MI

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  3:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Walthers Goo can be dissolved by acetone, I believe. I know methyl-ethyl ketone will soften it, too. MEK and acetone are worth trying on other contact-type cements too.

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  4:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent info. It surely will come in handy
Peter

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  5:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Then there's Goo Gone. http://www.googone.com/

Frank

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  5:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer alcohol to water for softening up white glue, less warpage and faster. For the other glues mentioned I use MEK.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

SDFarmer
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These rubber cement things can be very tricky. Found a couple of them that used Xylene or Xylol as the solvent base. Had never heard of it and looked it up. This is a petroleum byproduct that is pretty close to Benzene. You can buy Xylol at Home Depot and most of the rest... Oh, and they have used this stuff as dry cleaning fluid.

BUT!!! don't try this at home!!

I did the research and nearly fell off my chair. Guess what the flash point is on this stuff? How about 86 degrees Fahrenheit!!! You can touch this solvent off with a soldering iron. I had to have some of this stuff. But, I treat it with large amounts of respect. And yes it melts the rubber cements I have tried. But, you are going to have to try a lot of these different solvents to find the one that works with your particular cement. Rubber cement makers have more proprietary formulas than software makers have file formats. Good luck...

Oh and use this solvent outdoors. I'm sure you could lose the part of your brain that does long division in a second using this chemical.

"Is there a Chemist in the house?" (one who really knows what he/she is talking about...).

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  5:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote"Is there a Chemist in the house?" (one who really knows what he/she is talking about...).[/quote]

Errr.....You Rang?

Xylene is something most model RR's have been around quite a lot - Diolsol - Floquil thinner has had as a primary component xylene for ages......btw, it's almost always xylenes for this kind of application - 3 isomers mixed together.....

Also, might want to put that flash point into perspective:

Fuel Flash point
Ethanol(70%) 16.6 C (61.88 F)
Gasoline (petrol) -43 C (-45 F)
Diesel >62 C (143 F)

Xylenes are not highly toxic as indicated by the high values of the LD50, which range from 200 to 4000 mg/kg for animals. The principal mechanism of detoxification is oxidation to methylbenzoic acid and hydroxylation to hydroxylene.[

Ok, something that you should treat just like Diosol, etc and use in a spray booth with good exhaust to the outside or use outside and probably should also wear decent gloves.....

Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to,
while all the time we long to move the stars to pity.

SDFarmer
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  7:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No kidding!! Diosol... I knew there had to be someone out there that knew what they were talking about. What is that old saw? A little knowledge is dangerous. Thanks, now, we know what to use for Diosol? Or is there more to the mix?

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  8:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use lacquer thinner daily to clean up contact cement residue as well as acetone. Dissolves in seconds. Dried fast.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  8:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SDFarmer

No kidding!! Diosol... I knew there had to be someone out there that knew what they were talking about. What is that old saw? A little knowledge is dangerous. Thanks, now, we know what to use for Diosol? Or is there more to the mix?

There are several other components; pretty easy to look up using Google. Not so easy to get all of the components or proportions,

Language is a cracked kettle on which we beat out tunes for bears to dance to,
while all the time we long to move the stars to pity.

Previous Topic: O Scale Plaster Powder House Topic Next Topic: Chambers Coaling Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000