Railroad Line Forums - O Scale Plaster Powder House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 209 ]  [ Total: 209 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 O Scale Plaster Powder House
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: roundhouse floor color Topic Next Topic: Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question
Page: of 3

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  5:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I usually stay the ON30 section of the forum but needed some help from all of the craftsmen here.

I obtained this kit as part of a collection and was wondering if anyone know who made the kit?

I am going to build this on the weekend(there are no instructions) so I will need some advice along the way.

It looks simple but I have never finished a plaster kit.

Suggestions welcomed.

Larry

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  9:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Larry,

You are going to have fun with this on. I did a thread on building a plaster station here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28345

Hopefully you will find it useful.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  10:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like an interesting challenge/new experience for you Larry.

Cant help in answering your questions, but, I will be following along.

Karl.A

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  07:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Larry,
I can help some, as I have built many Tom Yorke Plaster and wood kits, as well as early Magnsusom (spelling). Frankly I like the plaster wall medium. Its carve able, paints, stains, dry brushes well. I have just stained rocks with very thinned coats of floquil, then gone back in with A/I to finish...just like rock castings. I have primed it with my gray and A/Ied it like I do my resin work.

So I guess the next question is putting it to gether, I have tried the yellow and white glues, not a fan, so I use thick ACC with accelerant. I work on a flat surface with lots of "squaring" tools. I have been known to build around a wood floor to help keep it square, and use wood at the joints to stablize too. Frankly wouldn't worry to much about its squareness. Light sand flat on piece of emery screen then assemble. Wood and plaster...yup ACC. You will have fun with this. If you are terrified, make copies of it via rubber molds and work off the copies...I do that..you can make plaster or resin copies then you can have alot of fun. Yell out if you get stuck.

Les

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  09:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back in the thick of it Larry. Looks like a nice build. Ive got a similar one here and will follow the tips you get/learn.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a nice kit, think I should use a plasterlike glue to put it together, like the stuff they glue they stick aerated concrete together with...here in Holland the stuffs called fix'n'finish...it's plaster based

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  12:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron

Thank you for the link I read your tread again and it will be most helpful.

Les,
Thanks for the advice in the glue. I think these walls will last the build so I do not think they will get an RTV bath.

Martin there was a bag of powder in the kit so it may be the glue you are referring to I will try and see.

Karl and Dave glad to have you following along.

I tried staining the plaster with I/A washes and gave up.

I just spry painted the walls with Kyrlon Satin Pebble to seal the plaster. I chose this color as I had it on hand and I wanted a color that would be used for mortor.

I put one light wash of I/A on the wall as a test.

I like it so far but many washes and much more painting to go.

Edited by - BigLars on 11/24/2011 12:49:04 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2011 :  9:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, I painted a similar plaster wall for an engine house I started to build.
There's a picture of it and how I did it here and on the next page of this thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18093&whichpage=10
There are other very good examples by others in that same thread.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  09:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank for the link Rick.

I tried super glue for the walls but I could not get it right. So I used Titebond II and clamps.

Oh the clamp Spider is attaking....

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  09:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I little patch work to hide the wall joints was in order.

Now on to trying to paint the stones.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  11:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your seam blending looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing the colours blended in.

-Cody

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  11:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job of hiding the corners, Larry.

George

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  12:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George and Cody,

Here is the start of the stone painting.

Thoughts on how to make this better?
There is an iron door that will fill the center hole.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah! That looks great, and quick too.

-Cody

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  1:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How to make it better? Lets see......

- the grey looks right and is not to stark or dark,
- The coloured stoned are muted and look like they come from the same "type" of stones,
- It all looks well blended and natural,

Nope nothing here, the wall looks great.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2011 :  1:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice colors, not to much contrast they blend well together ..good job on the seams to!

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: roundhouse floor color Topic Next Topic: Removing Old Glue: A Restoration Question  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000