Railroad Line Forums - The Iowa Interstate's West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 15 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: jmiller320 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Iowa Interstate's West End
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice
Page: of 19

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  11:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe, your thread is so unique in the fact you are sharing the prototype picture with an image of your finished model as your layout progresses. It is so great following along on your scratchbuilding exploits bringing all the scenes to life. Bravo on a job supberbly done. Looking forward to more progress reports as you move along!

All the best, Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://craftsmanstructures.blogspot.com
http://bostonandmaine.blogspot.com
http://fridaynightgroup.blogspot.com

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/19/2012 :  07:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you VERY much Mike. I've really enjoyed posting to this forum. For me, it's easy to forget what I've managed to finish over the last few months, especially when it's all been concentrated in one small part of the layout, so a format like this makes it fun to go back and review.

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyrus52246

Nice job on the yard structures, Joe. Larger yard facility than here in Iowa City. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Jeff. Once the new South Amana enginehouse opens later this year, it'll dwarf the Bluffs facility, and will be in your own back yard. I was relieved to hear yesterday that the Bluffs shop is expected to stick around after that. Sounds like they may be planning for the car department to take it over, finally giving them an indoor facility for RIP work. I hope that turns out to be the case.

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your modelling got me digging up my Rock Island models and give the a spin on the test track.... The atlas GP40s would look like being home on your photos....

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  12:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe. Just checked back in. Everything is looking fantastic.

I was looking at some shortline railroads on RR Picture Archives and found some IAIS locos on the Grainbelt Railroad. They looked really cool MU'd to Grainbelt (Farmrail) locos. Didn't know they got some locos from IAIS. Keep up the great work.

Tom

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  11:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom!

Work continues on the IAIS's Bluffs diesel pad. I painted the sand tower, weathered and permanently installed the enginehouse floor, and buried the enginehouse tracks in fines I sifted from dirt sifted from the prototype scene.

Here's a prototype view:

...and here's the model thus far. After taking this shot, I removed everything I had put down, sifted it finer, reapplied, and then bonded the fines and sanded the surface. On my test patch, once I did so, I ended up with a color and texture match that I was happy with.

Model view:

A couple views of the weathered floor. I didn't take the interior detailing or weathering to any great extremes since so much of it is invisible once the roof is in place. I mostly just wanted to suggest more of both through what was visible immediately inside the doors.

Here's a prototype pic of the overall scene:

And finally, a model view from the same vantage point:

I'm on vacation this week, so I'm hoping to weather the west sand tower, bond and sand the rest of the buried tracks, and maybe start scratchbuilding the east sand tower, the "tank car on stilts" seen to the left of the GP38-2 in the last prototype pic above.

Schoolmaster
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  11:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't commented before but I want to join the others in my admiration of your matching historical photos to your layout; prototype ralroad modelling at its best and someting everyone should attempt at least once; even free-lancers. (Build a prototype scene)

okiecrip
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  11:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice photos

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  9:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolmaster

I haven't commented before but I want to join the others in my admiration of your matching historical photos to your layout; prototype ralroad modelling at its best and someting everyone should attempt at least once; even free-lancers. (Build a prototype scene)

Thanks John and Gary. John, I agree with your encouragement for others to try their hand at prototype modeling. I realize we're all different, but I've been a freelancer and proto-freelancer before moving to prototype modeling, and this is BY FAR the most fun and rewarding of the three, to me. I understand the artistic expression that others enjoy through freelancing, but there's just something about attempting to recreate a prototype scene - especially a nearby scene I'm familiar with - that I find extremely satisfying.

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  12:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe.
The line I'd give serious thought to modeling if I were to model a prototype is the original TP&W. That was an awesome railroad. Another would be the modern day short line Indiana Northeastern with there Nickel Plate Road nose stripes and large white Indiana Northeastern lettering on the sides of the long hood. It's a very nice laid back short line. Lots of covered hoppers too!!!!

Tom

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INRAIL

Joe.
The line I'd give serious thought to modeling if I were to model a prototype is the original TP&W. That was an awesome railroad. Another would be the modern day short line Indiana Northeastern with there Nickel Plate Road nose stripes and large white Indiana Northeastern lettering on the sides of the long hood. It's a very nice laid back short line. Lots of covered hoppers too!!!!

A couple of very neat choices Tom! I've liked the TP&W ever since the articles about them in Railfan & Railroad back in the late 70s. Very cool operation.

I hadn't heard of the Indiana Northeastern before, but I looked them up just now. What's not to like about a railroad with GP30s that look like these?

Plus both high-hood and rebuilt Geeps? That looks like another great choice.

GP30s have always been a favorite of mine dating back to my first cab ride in a UP 30 in Hastings, NE back in the 80s. I actually had a pair of P2K GP30s on hand to build some fantasy IAIS de-turboed GP38Ms at one time. However, I decided I had my hands full with just the prototype roster, without adding fantasy units too.

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  08:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Joe, I really like the way your capturing the look of the prototype. It is neat to have good photos and personal knowledge to create good modeling.

Cheers!, Joe

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  09:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Joe. That means a lot.

Off to the basement to start weathering the west sand tower. I never seem to accomplish as much as I plan to during vacations, but this week I'm determined to get that west sand tower finished and permanently in place, get the enginehouse track soil bonded and sanded, and get a good start at scratching the east sand tower.

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  5:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few pics of progress on IAIS's Council Bluffs engine facility from the last few weeks. I finished burying the enginehouse tracks in soil I collected and sifted from the prototype, added the fuel pad, utility poles, fuel spill collection trays and mats, and grade crossings for pedestrians and shop equipment.

Here's an overall view looking SW:

Prototype view of the fuel pad:

...and the model. The fuel spill trays were scratchbuilt from 0.010" styrene and Scale Scenics mesh, and the fuel spill mats are garden weed cloth. The fuel pipe is heavily kitbashed from a pair of American Limited Models fuel cranes. The grade crossings are Micro Engineering ties. Finally, the yellow post in the foreground, and the grey one in the upper left with the fire extinguisher, are sections of code 55 rail to match the prototype's use of rail for these purposes here.:

Proto shot of the utility poles outside the shop:

...and the model:

A prototype view inside the shop:

...and the model, with recently-added traction motors and wheelsets from IAIS GP38 601, which was being overhauled and repainted during my era as seen in the previous pic. I plan to eventually model the 601's rebuilding "in progress".

A few overall views of the facility:

Finally, a prototype view looking south:

...and the corresponding model view:

rhpd42002
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  8:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I've been followint your work for quite some time, along with Tom's and I have to say, your and Tom's work is just awesome and inspiring.
I can only dream of achieving that level of detailing.
Just looking at the pics is enough to make me and others, I'm sure, strive to do better.
Keep up the great work and please keep sharing it with the rest of us.

Mike O.

Ya Ain't Gotta Like It, Ya Just Gotta Do It!

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  10:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Mike. Really kind of you! Nothing special about my work - just taking one thing at a time. The skills I'm using now are pretty much the same ones I learned while building military aircraft models as a kid. I just use different raw material now.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000