Railroad Line Forums - The Iowa Interstate's West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: Rossyuk ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Iowa Interstate's West End
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice
Page: of 19

PEIR
Section Hand

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  8:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have some fantastic modeling skills Joe The prototype pictures and your HO rendition are extremely well done. I like how you blended the scene with back drop photos to give depth. Your tip on layout width @ 8-12'' is very practical and definitely something I will keep in mind when I get my layout started.

The no pit turntable is another interesting piece of hardware. I'm surprised that the IAIS wasn't required to fence it in for safety. Are there any plans to move it to the new shop location or is it needed where it sits?

The Brad Williams time shift pics are pretty cool. I would of bet money that it was a HO layout. Does he have a website showcasing his work?

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  9:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PEIR

You have some fantastic modeling skills Joe The prototype pictures and your HO rendition are extremely well done. I like how you blended the scene with back drop photos to give depth. Your tip on layout width @ 8-12'' is very practical and definitely something I will keep in mind when I get my layout started.

The no pit turntable is another interesting piece of hardware. I'm surprised that the IAIS wasn't required to fence it in for safety. Are there any plans to move it to the new shop location or is it needed where it sits?

The Brad Williams time shift pics are pretty cool. I would of bet money that it was a HO layout. Does he have a website showcasing his work?

Thanks Stephen. Very kind of you. I'm still working on detailing my enginehouse and adding the concrete floor, but it's coming along. I took a break the last couple days to work on some locomotives, but I'm planning to be back on the enginehouse tomorrow.

I'd imagine the turntable will stay in the Bluffs. The IAIS often runs single ES44ACs on trains here, so it still sees frequent use as they're turned to head back east. Besides, the new South Amana shop sits at a wye junction.

Brad Williams' site is http://bradwilliamsphotography.com . Looking around there, I just realized that you can see my house in the photo at http://bradwilliamsphotography.com/images/IMG_3744.jpg .

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/12/2012 :  6:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This week I finished up a scratchbuilt sand tower for the IAIS's Bluffs yard, then added a few more details to the enginehouse I shared a few weeks ago. Both are still works in progress, but they're coming along.

First up is a prototype view of Bluffs yard's west sand tower and fuel pad looking north, 5/15/2005.

The sand tower was scratchbuilt using Evergreen styrene, Special Shapes brass I-beam, a Bar Mills #2003 horizontal fuel tank, and Central Valley fencing for the wood platform beneath the tank. The fittings and nozzles on the sand pipes are surplus from Cannon EMD fuel tank detail sets, and the etched caged ladder is from Walthers.

I collected some gravely soil from the prototype and I'm in the process of sifting it. My plan is to use it to bury the enginehouse tracks up to the railheads, as seen in the above prototype pic.

Prototype view of the shop's 200g kerosene tank, 3/28/2003. Apparently, "kerosine" is a valid alternate spelling in scientific and industrial usage. Learn something new every modeling project...

Model view of the above scene. The tank is a kitbashed SS Ltd. #2411 model with Microscale alphabet decals, while the ladder is a modified Central Valley offering, with rungs broken according to the prototype.

Radio and TV antennas added, as seen in the first prototype photo above. The radio antenna is scratchbuilt, while the TV antenna is kitbashed from a Gold Medal Models #87-05 offering.

View of the enginehouse interior, with the floor and details not yet weathered or attached. Way too clean! I hope to address that in the next week or so.

Looking south at the enginehouse and sand towers, 6/10/2005.

Model view. The red "scrap only" dumpster is kind of a fixture at the Bluffs shop, as seen in the above prototype photo. It's kitbashed from a small dumpster from the Walthers #3516 dumpster set, cut shorter in length, with added details from styrene and gears from an old Athearn locomotive. The lettering is from a Microscale alphabet set.

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  08:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Colors, the scenes, the attention to details and the photos... all a prrof of some very good modeling. IAIS is a very intersting railroad to model, with its diverse engines, cool buildings in a setting that is unusual on model rairoading and it works!!

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  09:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Ollie. I live about 5 minutes from this enginehouse, so it's been a lot of fun seeing it come together in model form.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just catching up, all the details look great, i kept going over the tank photos, both prototype and model, you got it spot on! :D

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  11:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andykins

just catching up, all the details look great, i kept going over the tank photos, both prototype and model, you got it spot on! :D

Thanks Andy! I primed the sand tower today, hoping to paint it tomorrow and weather the shop floor and fuel pad over the weekend, along with starting to put down the ground cover (sifted gravel) in the engine terminal.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  2:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im sure it'll look great.

this might be a bit of a daft question, but i dont keep upto date with railroads, the blue and white loco that i see in a couple of photos of your layout, and in the proto photo on the left to the line up of IAIS locos, i asume its a lease? but is it ex rock island? or painting that way new?
odd question, but as i said, dont keep up with modern, and i have a soft spot for rock island blue

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy - Those are LLPX (ex-Reserve Mining) SD38-2s. They started out in Reserve's rusty-brown paint, but were later acquired by LLPX and repainted to the blue and white scheme. No relation to the RI, but like you, I've always thought they had a RI look to them.

The IAIS leased four of these SD38-2s for six months in August 2004, and in February 2005 that lease was extended to 10 years. Later in 2005 they started moving them down to Mid America Car in Kansas City, where they received SmartStart components and IAIS paint, becoming IAIS 150-153, but during my timeframe, they were all still in blue/white. Only LLPX 2802 and 2805 came to the west end during my era, but since these SDs are my favorite units on the IAIS, I modeled both of them. A couple years after my era, the IAIS got four more of the ex-Reserve units, becoming IAIS 154-157.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  12:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh i see, very interesting, thanks for the info :)

Zephyrus52246
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  2:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the yard structures, Joe. Larger yard facility than here in Iowa City. Keep up the great work.

Jeff

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  3:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Joe! I love the weathering on the 'kerosine' tank! In that model photo, it's hard to tell it's a model.

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

okiecrip
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  8:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lookin really good

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  9:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the encouragement.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000