Railroad Line Forums - The Iowa Interstate's West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: glnrr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Iowa Interstate's West End
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice
Page: of 19

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  09:29:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have definitely nailed that one! Interesting how you are updating the equipment when the prototype does. Normally modelers will model a specific point in time, but you are taking it to the next level and modeling 'current day', making updates as they do!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

Grubes
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  09:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

It's a pleasure to view your work. I really like the recreation of the MOW yard (4th picture down on 1st page). I can imagine the satisfaction of so faithfully reproducing a scene that you've seen on the prototype. Keep the picture coming.

Dave

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark. My layout's actually set in the spring of 2005 - I don't have the time or money to try to keep up with an ever-changing 'current day' layout. Not sure how the Eric Broomans of the world do it! What happened in my case was, when I originally built the first iteration of the 303, my era was 1998, so I modeled it as it existed then. The prototype was touched up in 2004, which didn't matter to me until later, when I moved my timeframe forward to 2005. At that point I knew I needed to update it to reflect the 2004 changes, but it's just taken me all this time to get to it.

Unfortunately, the prototype 303 is gone now, along with all the other early Geeps, Geep rebuilds, and MLWs. Makes me that much more thankful for model railroading and the way it allows us to freeze time.

Dave, thanks very much for your encouragement. You're right - I've really gotten a kick out of choosing a local prototype and just working to recreate it. I hope others will consider this approach if you haven't already. It's certainly not the only way to go, but it's one way that's given me a lot of satisfaction.

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd

Edited by - IAISfan on 02/26/2012 9:30:45 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the loco Joe!

Mike

Anders Wirten
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  05:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work on the loco.

Anders

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  05:08:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was nice work on the Geep! These engines where its past is unmistakeable are one of the jewels on a layout and adds a little more color and interst to a roster. Looking forward for next update! :)

Ollie

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  08:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job of painting, weathering and detailing.

As you think, so will you be.

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  11:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the encouragement. Another aspect of this update is that it'll help to set the layout's era in the minds of those who are familiar with the IAIS. The 303, being the last high-hood on the roster, got a lot of attention back then, and the interim scheme it wore between the two I modeled (from about June 2002 to January 2004) was memorable for its ugliness:

So, a lot of people remember the timeframe of its last updates that occurred in January 2004, and it was only on the roster for another 17 months after that time.

The presence of SD38-2s on the layout still in LLPX blue is another item to help set the timeframe.

These units, as well as the freshly repainted 700-class GP38-2s, started showing up in August 2004, but the two SDs I modeled, LLPX 2802 and 2805, were only in blue for about 8 and 10 months after their arrival, respectively, both getting IAIS paint shortly after my era.

For my models of those repainted GP38-2s, I'm finishing them with a couple coats of Future floor finish to represent the shine the prototype's wore for their first year or so on the property (and still do, to a lesser extent). Here's an example photo of 709 by Erik Rasmussen, taken after 8 months in service:

Notice how much darker and shinier the black is than on the 628 that trails it. Here's a pic of my models of the 709 and sister 703 after their Future application:

Edited by - IAISfan on 12/16/2011 11:54:20 AM

Geep Fan
New Hire

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  10:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Geep Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good info Joe. I never did get to see #303. You did a great job with the model.

Corey

My RR Blog: http://www.rrincb.com

My Carving Website:
http://iowacarver.tripod.com/

Jordan114
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  8:21:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice models Joe!

Just a question about the layout. What is your spacing between towns? On my future Wisconsin Northern RR layout Im guessing trains will be 10-12 feet long and Im trying to pick a good town spacing measurement. Since I will be modeling Wisconsin Countryside I want rural running between towns but not wasting valuable layout space.

Thanks,
Jordan

Modeling The Wisconsin Northern Railroad
"The Weyerhaeuser Route"

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  8:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Corey and Jordan.

Jordan, my IAIS trains are typically in the 12' range, though my UP coal train detour runs closer to 16'. Distance from Bluffs yard east to Hancock Jct. is about 36', and from Hancock Jct. east to Atlantic is about 28'. From Bluffs yard across town to the UP yard in Council Bluffs is around 20'.

I think you're being smart to consider this now. To me, those wide open spaces are really important in conveying railroads such as our prototypes, even if it means giving up some switching.

One area I WOULD recommend cutting back on would be shelf depth. Unfortunately, I didn't learn this lesson until I was so far along that going back didn't really make sense. For this type of flatland layout, and given our ability to use photo backdrops, I think a 12" depth is plenty, and in most cases, 8" is probably enough. Narrowing the depth means more aisle space and less cost when it comes time to start scenery, and you can always let it "bump out" for a deeper scene in towns where you have more yard trackage, spurs, structures, etc.

Edited by - IAISfan on 12/21/2011 8:49:34 PM

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  10:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe. I love your work on the Geeps. Your railroad will have an interesting combination of locomotives and colour schemes. It would be a joy to visit your layout when you get around to hosting an open house, or, even better...an ops session in the future! Alas, I live too far away..but I can follow along vicariously through your pictures and thorough research.

Edited by - Mike Hamer on 12/21/2011 10:26:32 PM

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  10:50:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Mike. I hope you'll shoot me an email if you'll ever be in the neighborhood. I've had a few open houses, and 12 operating sessions so far. The most recent one, though, was in June. Several of us locally hosted a ProRail weekend in May and OS Omaha in June, and I spent so much time getting the layout ready for those that I got a little burned out afterward. I'm about ready to get back into it though, and hope to have a session next month.

I used to think that operating sessions would only be fun if I was taking part as an engineer or conductor (I use two-man crews), but I've since learned that the most enjoyable part, for me, is getting to stand back and watch things come alive while my guests are running the show. That's when it really feels like I'm railfanning the West End back in 2005 again.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  07:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking locos Joe, very nice modeling!

Mike

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  08:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Tyson.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.57 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000