Railroad Line Forums - The Iowa Interstate's West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Iowa Interstate's West End
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice
Page: of 19

Jordan114
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like that pic of Bluffs Yard! How many trains are there in and out during a typical day?

Jordan

Modeling The Wisconsin Northern Railroad
"The Weyerhaeuser Route"

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  10:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan114

I really like that pic of Bluffs Yard! How many trains are there in and out during a typical day?

Jordan

Not many! Of the 19 units in that pic, 10 are in storage (seven on the track to the right of the turntable and three at the top of the yard) due to the 2008 arrival of the GEs, so the photo was kind of deceiving. Council Bluffs is the IAIS's western terminus, and they typically only have one westbound train into town each day and one eastbound out. Some days they'll have extras too, such as ethanol or DDG unit trains, or the local out of Atlantic will occasionally run west to CB to swap cars and head back.

West of here, they go to the UP 2-3 times a day with interchange runs, plus they build a nightly intermodal train for the UP and take that west to them.

By the way, the orange and white Paducah GP8 in that photo, IAIS 481, has since been rebuilt into slug 651. The slug shown outside the enginehouse, IAIS 650, is former IAIS GP8 466.

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd

Edited by - IAISfan on 11/14/2011 11:00:34 AM

Jpf94
New Hire

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  10:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an awesome layout that shows that it's possible to be faithful to a prototype. Great work, this is a layout on my must see someday list.

Joe

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/19/2011 :  07:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Joe. Very kind of you.

To those of you who are new to prototype modeling, I hope the layout is an encouragement as to how much fun it is. I get the impression that some people look at it as a burden that places too many restrictions on your modeling, and while I'm sure it's not for everyone, I'm having more fun now than I've ever had in the hobby.

I'm currently working from the aerial photo I posted on the previous page, building the hill and fuel storage tank on the left. It's been a blast watching it come together and starting to see a place I used to railfan every day take shape in HO scale.

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  05:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe, I like the idea you have having the layout placed right between two eras. This does give a little more interest than usual. I read some place that you got a little fed up by getting those UP.s Sd 40-2.s and it happens that the same thing happened to me too. But I got still 11 dash 2.s Katos ready to roll when I feel like it. Having this mix caused of end or beginning of an era will keep the modeler, the operators and visitors more interested in what is going on. In all you have made a very credible layout and the work and progress has been remarkable!

Ollie

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  09:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful layout Joe!

Mike

MikeMc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit MikeMc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe, looks great! I really enjoyed the article in MRP, and it will be nice to see how the layout progresses with your updates here. Often you read about these layouts that are planned and never see them again.

I think what is most enjoyable so far is that you are showing the prototype and then how you are modeling it. That is real useful and thought provoking.

Looking forward to more!

Mike McNamara
Delran, NJ
nekrailroad.com

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  08:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you gentlemen. Ollie, I can't remember where I wrote that about the UP SD40-2s, but yeah, when I was starting to build a UP-based layout, I got a little bored with modeling so many of the same locomotives. I still really like them though, and since several of them ran on the IAIS during my era either on detours or the nightly van trains out of Bluffs yard, I can still get my fill of them.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeMc

Joe, looks great! I really enjoyed the article in MRP, and it will be nice to see how the layout progresses with your updates here. Often you read about these layouts that are planned and never see them again.

Thanks very much Mike. I had actually been building the layout for almost 10 years when the MRP article came out, and the track work had been complete for 3-4 years. However, a lot of that time was spent gathering prototype operational data and then building my locomotive and rolling stock rosters accordingly. As a result, I'd done almost no scenery or structure work, which made it tough to come up with interesting layout pics for the article. I think they included one of Bluffs yard, but that was about it.

quote:
I think what is most enjoyable so far is that you are showing the prototype and then how you are modeling it. That is real useful and thought provoking.

Thanks. I feel the same way when others share their prototype and associated model photos here and on the Yahoo Proto-Layouts group. I just think it's fun to see how each modeler chooses to bring prototype scenes to life in model form.

Jordan114
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  9:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt the same way about locomotives when I was picking towns for my future Wisconsin Northern RR layout. The number 1 reason I want to model Chippewa Falls (Norma) is because all the variety of locos there. You can see two GP15s, one SW1500, a pair of UP GP60s(sometimes even a patched out Southern Pacific GP60), and now with talk of unit sand trains originating here I'm guessing there are gonna be at least a trio of UP SD70 run through power as well per sand train. So like you Joe I will have a great variety of locomotives on the layout and seeing how happy you are with your decision makes me more confidant about mine.

Keep up the good work!

Jordan

Modeling The Wisconsin Northern Railroad
"The Weyerhaeuser Route"

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  11:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan114

I felt the same way about locomotives when I was picking towns for my future Wisconsin Northern RR layout. The number 1 reason I want to model Chippewa Falls (Norma) is because all the variety of locos there. You can see two GP15s, one SW1500, a pair of UP GP60s(sometimes even a patched out Southern Pacific GP60), and now with talk of unit sand trains originating here I'm guessing there are gonna be at least a trio of UP SD70 run through power as well per sand train. So like you Joe I will have a great variety of locomotives on the layout and seeing how happy you are with your decision makes me more confidant about mine.

Keep up the good work!

Jordan

That's great to hear Jordan. You're right, I've really enjoyed being able to model the UP detours IAIS hosted. Even though I'm not a huge fan of modern safety cab units (with the exception of UP SD70Ms, actually - always liked those), I like the contrast of operating class 1 power/trains next to our little roads. It sort of helps to give context to what we're doing, and how the smaller carriers are trying to scratch out a living while the class 1's have the latest of everything.

Besides the UP detours that had SD40-2s, C44ACs (UP and SP), C44ACTEs, and SD9043ACs, the UP also supplied power for their nightly westbound van train out of IAIS's Council Bluffs ramp that UP shares. Depending on the day of the week, those would sometimes have UP road units to connect with stack trains at Fremont, NE, and other days UP would send over yard power so they could just drag the pigs back to their own yard for later forwarding in a manifest. Some of the units on the van trains included UP GP38-2s, SW1500s, SD40-2s, SD70Ms, C44ACs (UP and SP), C44ACCTEs, C6044ACs, SD9043ACs, C40-8s, and C41-8Ws. I'd be surprised if you don't eventually see the UP occasionally mixing other units in with those SD70Ms on the WN sand trains as well.

Edited by - IAISfan on 11/24/2011 08:49:25 AM

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  04:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Threads like these are very informative as the operation and details makes a the difference from being a model of a railroad and a model railroad.

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  6:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been busy installing Tsunamis in a number of units recently, so haven't had much to share here, but I took a break last week to update IAIS GP9 303's paint to reflect her 2004 touch-ups.

First off, a prototype photo from before the touch-ups:

Here's a pic of how I originally modeled the 303 when I was planning to set my layout in the late 1990s:

Next, a prototype pic of her 2004 updates. Two generations of fading numbers were patched on the cab sides and replaced with new IAIS striping and numbers. Also, the pilots, steps, sills, and bell were repainted.

Engineer's side of IAIS 303 with her 2004 paint and detail updates, plus some updated weathering. The Bluffs shop crews apparently didn't mask the trucks and fuel tank when they sprayed the sill, leaving a bit of overspray on the brake cylinders and fuel tank corners, so I tried to replicate that look.

Closeup of modified roof details. The antenna conduit was cut shorter, the whip-style antenna was replaced with a new Sinclair, and a toilet vent was added to the side of the short hood. I believe the prototype's weld seam on the cab roof appeared after the short hood was replaced, early in her IAIS career. And yes, the prototype's horn and grab iron are mounted backward.

Conductor's side updates. For some reason, the cab wouldn't stay seated after these changes, so I'll need to give it some encouragement.

Red P
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  7:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks great Joe.
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  10:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what I like to see, an older unit with some character.
L&N nut
Jon

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  11:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. I'm happy to report that I've now fixed that gap under the cab on the conductor's side. Much better.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000