Railroad Line Forums - The Iowa Interstate's West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 115 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: Rossyuk ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Iowa Interstate's West End
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice
Page: of 19

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  2:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the turntable Joe. Great weathering on the turntable bridge. Looks just right. The two photos of 706 look real good. The only thing missing is the highway bridge as the backdrop in the model photo.

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado

MarkF
Engineer

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  7:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit MarkF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's amazing how well you are modeling the prototype so close! Well done!

Mark

See my homepage at http://home.comcast.net/~prrndiv/

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  9:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluffs Yard turntable looks fantastic Joe! The whole area looks fantastic!

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  9:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Bill, Mark, and Tom. Very kind of you.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

It's amazing how well you are modeling the prototype so close! Well done!

Thank you Mark. That's just what's fun for me, trying to recreate what I saw during my era. But it could also be seen as proof that I'm not very creative! That would certainly explain my ongoing fear of scenery.

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd

Edited by - IAISfan on 11/07/2011 10:04:35 PM

Anders Wirten
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  01:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the turntable, great modelling.
And the prototype photos are nice, especially the one with the loco on the turntable, facing south, something about the light I guess.

Anders

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  4:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anders Wirten

I really like the turntable, great modelling.
And the prototype photos are nice, especially the one with the loco on the turntable, facing south, something about the light I guess.

Thanks Anders. I shot a sequence of pics of 706 being turned that morning, since it wasn't something I caught all that often. Always an operation that fascinated me.

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  07:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The turntable came out very nice! This is a great thread to follow!

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

Twist67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  5:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Twist67's Homepage  Send Twist67 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
great layout and the comparsion with the prototype photos is excellent.Great work on the turntable.

Chris

MLW
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/09/2011 :  10:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit MLW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW!

Great layout

The turntable turned out amazing!

Thanks for sharing this and the proto pics as well! Very well done!

Ironhand_13
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  7:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a total stab in the dark here, but those V-shapes...could they be some kind of static-electrical discharge reciever (caused by the loco spinning on the turntable)? They kind of remind me of lightning rods. Maybe things need some auxiallary grounding??

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  6:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the kind words on the turntable, and the input regarding those V-shaped objects. I posted the question about those on another forum as well, and after examining photos of other turntables, I believe those were likely brackets to hold some sort of guard that was suspended beneath the power collector, like what can be seen below.

If that's correct, then both brackets were originally located on top, on either side of the power collector. Perhaps when that guard object was removed, one bracket was simply slid down the power arch just to get it out of the way, but stopped where it now sits simply due to friction.

The conduit and junction box under the power collector appear to have been a later change to the TT. Perhaps their addition did away with the need to protect workers from contact with the original electrical arrangement there.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  10:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! Pittsfield! Let's look at this from a different angle. This could be an exhaust deflector to keep coal soot and diesel exhaust soot from the conductors to the turntable motor. That's my guess.

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  12:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Hey! Pittsfield! Let's look at this from a different angle. This could be an exhaust deflector to keep coal soot and diesel exhaust soot from the conductors to the turntable motor. That's my guess.

I'll bet you're right Bill. Good call!

Red P
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  05:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would say its to protect the electrical connections from heat and sparks.
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/

Edited by - Red P on 11/12/2011 06:00:20 AM

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/14/2011 :  08:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
User onequiknova on the Atlas Forum came through for me with the Ray Lowry photo below from Rock Island Color Pictorial vol 1. It's a 3/15/58 view of the Bluffs turntable when it was only 5 years old, showing that the two V-shaped brackets did indeed begin life supporting something on either side of the power collector. Still don't know exactly what that something is, but that's not as important to me.

Also, Omaha photographer Brad Williams recently gave me permission to post his November 2009 aerial photo of the IAIS's Bluffs yard and engine facility. I thought it offered a nice overview of what I'm trying to recreate, minus the GEs and all that November mud.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000