Railroad Line Forums - The Iowa Interstate's West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 40 ]  [ Total: 43 ]  [ Newest Member: Billett-man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Iowa Interstate's West End
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice
Page: of 19

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  11:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, off to a fantasitic start there, Nice looking layout capturing the feel of the prototype. I have become very interested in this type of modeling and operations,, keep at it!

Cheers!, Joe

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  9:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, Bill, and Joe - Very kind of you! Hopefully I'll have some good updates to share soon.

Joe, if you're interested in prototype modeling and operations, you might enjoy the Proto-Layouts group on Yahoo - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Proto-Layouts . Great bunch of folks there - including a few familiar names from this forum - and they've had a huge impact on my own growth in the hobby and enjoyment of my layout.

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  10:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe, First of all - welcome to the forum...and sure glad you joined! Your layout is depicting all the elements you desire so nicely. Yes, it's a joy watching a modeller develop their layout through the pages of the forum. I'll be sure to follow your progress. Keep up with the great work!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  06:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  07:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was a great bunch of photos. You have been built in few details often omitted by modelers like fills and not longer used trackage overgrown by weed. It looked quite amaizing and the area you model is a welcome change from more mountainious modeling so common.

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  09:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
despite my narrow gauge pervations, i do have a soft spot for the iowa interstate (and iowa as well, for some reason), lovely photos looks as if you're off to great start and i will be following with a keen eye

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  4:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the encouragement and welcome. Tom wasn't joking about how nice everyone here is!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2011 :  05:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks really nice Joe. I think you have the making of a great railroad there

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  11:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe! I haven't been over here in a while. In fact, I haven't been anywhere for a while. LOL!!! I've been busy changing Logansport on my railroad. The last major change I hope! Anyway, Great to see you posting here. Love the photos of your great looking railroad and I really love your elevators!!!!!!!! You picked the perfect prototype to model. It's close to freelancing a shortline. :o)

Tom Johnson

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  07:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement Neil and Tom.

Tom, I'm looking forward to seeing your Logansport changes. Yesterday I started getting to work on the layout again for the first time since June, having finally finished all my rolling stock and locomotive additions and updates from the summer. My first area of focus will be Bluffs yard, starting out with the above-ground turntable.

It's at the end of a long approach track that starts at the far right corner of the enginehouse in the photo. Once the model's in place, I can finalize the grade of that approach track and the height of the tail track, rough in my scenery sub-base around it, and then get busy on Bluffs yard scenery.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  2:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now there's something you don't see everyday. Those above ground TT are rare. Nice to see one that is still in use.

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  2:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nhguy

Now there's something you don't see everyday. Those above ground TT are rare. Nice to see one that is still in use.

The Rock Island built Bluffs yard and the accompanying diesel facility in 1953 after outgrowing their original Council Bluffs yard. I'm told that this turntable was the last one built in the US until sometime in the 1980s when Amtrak built a new one in the Washington DC area.

Here's an Andy Brown photo of it in action:

BOK
New Hire

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe:

May I add my welcome to this forum along with Tom, Mike and others...it really is a great place.

I haven't contributed much in the way of modeling as I have been very busy on the prototype training new conductors/engineers and writing new employee timetables. I have found time though, to help Jordan, of Wisconsin Northern fame with a bit of operational information to get him started towards another neat prototype layout.

Joe I can't add much to what others have already said about your great modeling and honestly modeling what you have seen and heard. I am not quite sure that I have the same diligence for strict prototype modeling as I have experienced too many exceptions in real railroading to be that sincere in my efforts. My hope is that I can one day have a "sliver" of a nice layout like you Tom, Mike, Lance etc.. You guys are the pacesetters and it's a pleasure to see your progress.

Barry

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  07:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BOK
Joe I can't add much to what others have already said about your great modeling and honestly modeling what you have seen and heard. I am not quite sure that I have the same diligence for strict prototype modeling as I have experienced too many exceptions in real railroading to be that sincere in my efforts. My hope is that I can one day have a "sliver" of a nice layout like you Tom, Mike, Lance etc.. You guys are the pacesetters and it's a pleasure to see your progress.

Thanks very much Barry. Funny, I feel like strict prototype modeling is a better fit for me because I *lack* that diligence (or maybe discipline). I've always liked the UP, Soo, MILW, and several other roads, and sometimes think about "what if" operations of them on the ex-RI line I'm modeling. However, if I left myself any wiggle room about what could be on the layout, with all the neat stuff that's being offered today, I'm afraid my buying would be out of control.

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  08:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently completed the IAIS's Bluffs Yard turntable by modifying and detailing the much-maligned Walthers 90' turntable kit. While not state of the art, I didn't think the kit was so bad, at least for my needs. The prototype I'm modeling is at the end of a long spur, with no whisker tracks, and is used only to turn equipment. Both ends of the model bridge align just fine with that single track. During testing I noticed that the bridge would bind with the pit walls at some points, making it clear that the walls weren't perfectly round. That being the case, I could see where this kit would cause problems when used as-is. However, since I'm modeling an above-ground turntable with the pit walls removed, that wasn't an issue for me.

It's my understanding that the newer Walthers RTR 90' turntable is a huge improvement over this kit, but I didn't want to spend $300+ on it if the kit was going to meet my needs. Anywho, I made the following modifications to the Walthers kit:

• Removed the pit walls, since the prototype turntable is an above-ground type.

• Modified the power arch to the rounded type used on my prototype and added conduit and a junction box beneath the power collector at the top. Also added the V-shaped details seen in the photos. Anyone know what those are?

• Scratchbuilt a new open-air operator's cabinet.

• Modified the handrails, removing one railing and a number of stanchions from each side and adding rounded ends and a new section around the operator's cabinet.

• Weathered the deck using Bragdon powders, and then roughed it up and blended the powders using a wire brush attachment in my Dremel tool.

Below is a view of the new turntable looking southwest. Scenery in the pit and around the entire engine facility is next on the docket.

Prototype view of engine facility looking south. Turntable is visible to the left of the sand tower.

Bluffs Yard engine facility with new turntable in the background. The enginehouse roof is just set in place for a temporary test fit.

Prototype view of Bluffs turntable and surrounding area, looking north.

Model view from the same location showing the modified power arch with added conduit, junction box, and those mystery V-shaped details at the top. I just realized I forgot to add the makeshift extensions on the platform ends, as seen in the prototype photo. I'll plan to add those this morning.

Prototype view looking south, as IAIS 706 goes for a spin.

Model view of the same scene. I plan to model the I-80 bridges in the prototype photo as part of my current project to finish and scenic Bluffs Yard.

IAIS yard and road crews don't turn their own power at Bluffs yard, and since I didn't have enough for a hostler to do here to keep them busy as a separate position, the turntable won't be used during operating sessions. It isn't needed then anyway, as most road consists came west to Council Bluffs with an east-facing unit in the consist anyway. For that reason, since the turntable will only be used when I'm on my own, I decided to keep things simple and turn it manually.

Finally, here's an updated view of Bluffs yard showing the under-construction enginehouse, with the new turntable just beyond it to the left.

Edited by - IAISfan on 11/07/2011 08:57:13 AM

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000