Railroad Line Forums - The Iowa Interstate's West End
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 95 ]  [ Newest Member: glnrr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The Iowa Interstate's West End
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice
Page: of 19

bullbrauch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  6:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Joe!

Brandan
Living in Colorado,
home of the Rio Grande

Grubes
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  8:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Beautiful work and a great reproduction of the prototype!

Dave

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brandan and Dave, thank you both. Very kind of you.

Modeling Iowa Interstate's West End, May 2005
http://www.iaisrailfans.org/gallery/Sub4WestEnd

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  11:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe.

As I've told you on Atlas and Proto Layouts, Bluff's is looking fantastic. Love all the details. I enjoyed reading your response to my post on Proto. Well said!

Tom Johnson

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  07:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INRAIL

Hi Joe.

As I've told you on Atlas and Proto Layouts, Bluff's is looking fantastic. Love all the details. I enjoyed reading your response to my post on Proto. Well said!

Tom Johnson

Thanks very much Tom.

For those of you not on the Yahoo Proto-Layouts list, we've been discussing outside influences on our layouts and the importance of not allowing them to influence what YOU truly want. It's great to consider input and advice from others, but in the end, I've learned to filter it by asking myself, "What decision would I make if I was the only one to ever see my layout?".

Tom and I have both admitted to the mistake of altering our layout themes, eras, etc. subconsciously to gain the approval of others. For Tom, it was his change from the original L&IN to modeling 1960s PRR, and for me, it involved shrinking my era from "2004-2008" to just spring 2005. In the end, after I questioned why I made those changes (getting rid of a lot of cherished models in the process), I considered my options and decided I really like modeling my more focused era in spite of my misguided route getting there. I don't miss the models I sold, and I really like the idea of recreating a very specific time when I was railfanning the IAIS frequently.

Tom, on the other hand, has made a number of changes to bring his layout back to its L&IN roots. And I'm glad he is!

Edited by - IAISfan on 04/06/2012 09:45:10 AM

dnhman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe ,, Your making great progress there! The scenes are really looking neat, just the right level of detials to capture the prototype,, Well done, Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!, Joe

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe! Progress is slowing a bit right now as I prep for starting op sessions again for the first time since June. Still, I managed to add the cables to the load tester and paint and weather it and the shop table this week, so they're both installed now. Later this weekend I'll try to get some pics of them and the new wheel track I'm working on this morning. Right now, though, I need to replace a ballast in one of my lights. There's always something!

It's funny...when I completed track work, I thought I'd be operating every day. Now I've gone 10 months without even plugging the DCC system in except for testing new sound installs, with the rest of my time spent on this scene and locomotive and car work. I'd still really enjoy operating frequently, and really should get in the habit of taking breaks to do so, but it seems like there's always something on the layout that grabs my attention first.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  12:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IAISfan

quote:
Originally posted by INRAIL

Hi Joe.

Tom Johnson

Thanks very much Tom.

For those of you not on the Yahoo Proto-Layouts list, we've been discussing outside influences on our layouts and the importance of not allowing them to influence what YOU truly want. It's great to consider input and advice from others, but in the end, I've learned to filter it by asking myself, "What decision would I make if I was the only one to ever see my layout?".

Tom and I have both admitted to the mistake of altering our layout themes, eras, etc. subconsciously to gain the approval of others. For Tom, it was his change from the original L&IN to modeling 1960s PRR, and for me, it involved shrinking my era from "2004-2008" to just spring 2005. In the end, after I questioned why I made those changes (getting rid of a lot of cherished models in the process), I considered my options and decided I really like modeling my more focused era in spite of my misguided route getting there. I don't miss the models I sold, and I really like the idea of recreating a very specific time when I was railfanning the IAIS frequently.

Tom, on the other hand, has made a number of changes to bring his layout back to its L&IN roots. And I'm glad he is!

quite good advise there i feel.

indeed i got out of HO and modelling "real" things because of the amount of "oh you dont want to do that" my layouts and models got. hence my total lack of respect for the truth and doing what im doing now. but of corse with out alot of input if wouldnt be what it is at the moment. and heck being 21 and only having a handful of layouts under my belt i do need and often reguest the help of others who have been there, done it, blew it up, started again and got it stuck to their fingers.

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  5:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too many times, we worry about what "others" think and want on OUR railroads when instead we should be worrying and thinking more about what WE want on OUR railroads. Suggestions are great and sometimes very beneficial. However, It's my railroad in the end and I should only be worried about what I want on my railroad. I built it for me and not a bunch of other guys. Nothing wrong with that. Please just think about it before diving into changes and tearing things up. Just my thoughts.

Joe is very happy with his choices and so am I. For Joe, it was narrowing things down a bit which I've already done with my era. For me, it was going back to the L&IN where I should have stayed in the first place. :o)

OK, now back to Joe's beautiful railroad.

Tom Johnson

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  6:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heartily agree with Tom and Joe, great work.

Mark

W,L,&E

Edited by - BBLmber on 04/06/2012 6:46:41 PM

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/08/2012 :  9:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Andy and Mark.

This week I bring you another exciting episode of "What's New At The Enginehouse".

First up, a prototype view of the diesel pad showing the wheel track on the far left.

...and a model view of the same area showing the just-completed wheel track. The locomotive wheelsets were made with some spare Kato SD38-2 wheels, Athearn truck gears, and styrene rod for axles:

Another prototype pic of the load tester:

...and the model. Since last week I painted, decaled, and weathered it, then added the cables.

The shop table again:

...and the recently painted and weathered model:

Finally, something a little different. A couple months ago, Omaha photographer Brad Williams took several tilt shift photos of the prototype Bluffs enginehouse area, one of which is below. I thought it made an interesting comparison with the model.

I'm slowly nearing the home stretch of modeling this scene, but still have backdrop photos to do, a third grounded box car (this one essentially scratchbuilt from an old Ambroid flat kit that needs new styrene sides), a couple of small structures, and the foreground scenery.

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  2:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love watching your progress. This will be a very, very cool layout!!! Keep posting! :)

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

IAISfan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/10/2012 :  09:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Ollie. Very kind of you.

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  01:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Your capturing the prototype pretty well Joe. That load tester and equipment stand just go to show your how the railroads use ingenuity to make the things they need with the things they have on hand. They have used a fan housing cut in half for the ventilation of the load tester and the old diesel wheel sets for the equipment stand. Looks good Joe.

Bill Shanaman
Superintendent, Chief Track Cleaner,
New Haven RR in the 1948 to 1952 era
PMRA President 2014-15, OpSIG Member
NCE User Since 1999
Sugar City, Colorado

Red P
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  08:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Red P a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

looks good Joe, I like your attention to detail.
P

http://pcpanhandle.shutterfly.com/

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Detail Associates Topic Next Topic: Painting Advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000