Railroad Line Forums - Sub road bed
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Sub road bed
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 24 flatcar from Stoney Creek Designs Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR Vol. 4  

Elwood
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  09:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm building a layout that is a mix of O 3 rail and On30. Below is a pic of the 3 rail SRB, however this seems like overkill for On30. Can anyone make some recommendations here?

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  10:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elwood,

What are you asking? Are you referring to strength of the bed? What materials and thickness are you using? What is the length of roadbed you will use for ON30? Why change if it is not very long?

Tom M.

Elwood
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  10:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently using 3/4" birch with 5/8" homosote on top of that. I'm not sure what your asking about the length of the RB. The layout is 15'x48' and the On30 will run in an around the room format. I guess I am referring to strength since some of the O 3 rail locos weigh in at 20+ lbs. Maybe I am answering my own question here since flatness still counts and I've found that 3/4" birch ply tends to be flatter than the other choices available.

Edited by - Elwood on 10/09/2011 10:26:03 AM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would not be overkill. The 3/4" will make it a good solid base, and the homosote is great for deading the sound. I think it is just fine for your On30 stock.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Elwood
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  10:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about width? The O is 4-1/4" wide.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  10:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With good solid bench work you will be able to dance on it. The sub floor in most houses is 3/4". Hope you post some pictures of your progress.

Tom M.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  11:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely want narrower for your On30. 6' ties are common so a roadbed of 1" to 2" at the top would work with a slope of 45 to 60.
Even putting the track right on the plywood is OK (except for the sound) because a roadbed wasn't always found on On30 RRs and they were just ballasted where the laid.
See Troels Kirk's layout for a good example.

shayman
Section Hand

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  11:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth I use 1/2 sanded one side plywood from Homey D. It is braced every two feet or less. Then I use cork road bed. For On30 I use one piece of O Scale Cork and one piece HO Scale cork. Works perfect for ME Flextrack. I glue the cork down with yellow carpenter's glue, then sand with 60 grit paper and paint my base ground cover color over it. Let the paint dry overnight and lay track.
Just my plan...seems to be solid enough.

Mike Reuter

Elwood
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  3:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the insight and experience here. Below are some shots of my current BW.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  5:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Elwood,

Nice solid L-girder bench work there, mate.

How do you manage to keep your layout area so neat and tidy?

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Elwood
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  6:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why thanks John. I just hosted a meet at my place last weekend, so give it some time. I've found hosting 'run train' events with some of the blokes is a good in incentive to accomplish some things including the occasional clean up.

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  7:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Elwood,

Two points:

1) Your layout room makes my mouth water!

2) Do you have a layout track plan that you can post? I'm interested in the route that your On30 track will take compared with your O scale 'main' line.

Thanks, mate.

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Elwood
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  8:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anubis51

Hi Elwood,

Two points:

1) Your layout room makes my mouth water!

2) Do you have a layout track plan that you can post? I'm interested in the route that your On30 track will take compared with your O scale 'main' line.

Thanks, mate.

John

John, with regards to your points:

1) It makes my mouth water too! I am very happy and blessed to have such a space

2) I don't have a plan I can post. My plan was devised on the fly and drawn out manually on a 16"x24" sheet of paper and modified along the way. It consists of several sidings on the 48' sides in an around the room format. I can take some pics to give you a better feel for it. I'm curious to see what route my On30 will take as well. Another one of my on the fly plans. I've always thought both gauges would share in the logging operations, but am now settling on the idea of passenger or freight lines just 'passing through' logging country. Ideas are welcome.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  8:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good and strong to me. I canot imagine having any trouble with the roadbed as you described. However did you use plywood for the horizontal supports? The lumber looks top of the line.

Elwood
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  8:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is birch plywood except the wall brackets. They are Maple and some American cherry. I ran out of Maple. I should mention here that I'm a wood flooring contractor. I used whatever was left over and available. Wall brackets are all flooring laminated together, 3 pieces wide. I ran them through a thickness planer to take out the relief channels you find on the bottom of flooring. That left me with about a 5/8" finished stock to do my laminations.

Previous Topic: 24 flatcar from Stoney Creek Designs Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR Vol. 4  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000