Railroad Line Forums - Master Creations kits - McCabe Lumber Co.?I
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Master Creations kits - McCabe Lumber Co.?I
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Yehudas Heating Co. build: Topic Next Topic: Where do you buy cardstock? What is best for roofs  

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had a few Master Creations kits in the past; and they were... not the best kits in the hobby. In fact some of them down right sucked. I have noticed the BTS has taken over the kits. I have seen the LcCabe Lumber Co Planing Mill on their website and it looks pretty nice.

Question is, have things changed with Master Creations; or are they still pumping out kits with difficult to understand instructions?
John

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  12:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, "Master Creations" was purchased by B.T.S. awhile ago. I know the folks at B.T.S. still help people out with damaged or lost parts from those older kits.But they are not responsible in anyway for the poorly written instructions or designs of Master Creations kits.I also own a couple of these old kits, but have not built any yet.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 09/30/2011 12:01:45 PM

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  1:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey John, I have met the owner of B.T.S. and have built on of his smaller kits. They are good quality and good people to deal with.

Mark

W,L,&E

GNTRR
Section Hand

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  2:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have built a number of the Master Creation kits for myself and others. The finished kits are excellent, problem is getting there. As you said, the instructions are poor, but what is the pits is the time it takes to find the numbered parts on the sheets. If the new owner just improves the location part numbering system, all would be right in the world. The poor instructions you can overcome with building a number of kits. You get accustom to the insanity. Tim

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2011 :  5:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
I have built the following BTS McCabe Series Kits
Bandsaw Mill
Power House
Drying Kiln
Sawdust Shed

The only one I had any difficulty with was the Sawdust Shed. It may have been an older MC kit as I bought it off ebay last year. I purchased the other kits directly from BTS early this year. I couldn't seem to get the walls and the framework pieces to look right. Eventually I put the directions back in the box, took it apart (twice...) and worked from the pictures. Came out OK.

On the sawmill, I deviated from the instructions regarding the walls. The instructions said to assemble the framework, then apply the wall sheathing then do the windows. Instead I assembled the walls flat on the workbench, windows and all, and then put the four walls together on the foundation framework. Everything else I pretty much followed the instruction.

The Power House and Drying Kiln both went together without a hitch.

You can see some of the build here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32993&whichpage=1
and here:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34146

You can also check out my blog link in my signature.

Overall I was pretty happy with the kits. Although I'm scratch building the remainder of the mill complex, I may purchase a couple of items from the railroad shop set.

Len
http://escry.blogspot.com/

railroaded
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  09:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John. I think Scotty Mason said it best when he stated that master creations kits should come with a bottle of prozac. That said however, the newer kits (actually anything) that B.T.S. put out today are fantastic. They go together just fine and the instructions are good(about a "b"). Also, Bill and Diane Wade (i think thats there names) are about the nicest people you'll meet. Anything you buy from them is topnotch.
Ed(a satisfied customer) Parks

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  09:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a number of the kits and built most of them. Instructions are a challnge but that can alos be the fun part too. BTS instructions are fine and easy to follow. I do not know if they update the Master Creation instructions, give them a call they are nice people.

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  4:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does BTS offer new instructions for the older kits?

Previous Topic: Yehudas Heating Co. build: Topic Next Topic: Where do you buy cardstock? What is best for roofs  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000