Railroad Line Forums - Where do you buy cardstock? What is best for roofs
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 12 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: thebuilder ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Where do you buy cardstock? What is best for roofs
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Just been ripped off... Model Tech Studios S0054 Topic Next Topic: SWSM Wood Cutters Shack final pics
Page: of 2

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  5:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to start an old white box FSM Engine House. I opened the box and saw something missing: the roof cardstock cards. I've never had to buy carstock for a kit before. Where can you buy cardstock? I looked in Walthers Catalog and no-go. What is the best cardstock for roofs? Wood clapboard would be nice (I think); but too expensive

John

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cardstock is sold by weight .. #60 .. #100 .. whatever. The weight you purchase depends on what you are doing. The guys that do papercraft will use what works for the bit they are working on. Sometimes they will laminate two, three or more pieces of cardstock for heavy duty card.

Where to get cardstock? WalMart usually has at least to weights. Office Depot .. large assortment.

elliott-maine
Section Hand

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  6:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Places like Michael's and A.C. Moore have varying weights as well.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I needed to, I have used good old cereal boxes for card stock, which is a bit thick in HO scale for roofs. I do make it a habit these days to save the card stock which comes in the new shirts at Christmas... the supply of card stock usually outlasts the shirts.

Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  6:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,
My choice is a product from Michaels called Chip Board Raw Material. It is 40 point (40pt) 8.5 x 11" sheets and measures .040" thick. The brand name is Big Art. I use it on all my models.

but while you are there, pick up some other size materials, I find their brown colored paper that looks like brown bag paper is handy for many applications, one being tarpaper. In fact, it is called Brown Bag.

Experiment, there are lots of paper there, buy a few, they aren't that expensive.

Tony Burgess

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  7:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even 100# card stock will be too light for your roof. Cereal boxes, etc is a porous cardboard and will absorb moisture more readily.
Do what Rich suggested and get the thick mat board cut offs from the picture framers. That's the weight you want.
And you do not want clapboards for a roof-just not done in the real world.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

reklein
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  7:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could substitute sheet styrene too. Use R/C 56 for plastic to card,or plastic to wood adhesive.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  9:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have to agree with Dave about the card stock I noted above. What I did not note earlier is that one needs to seal it. I often just paint it with a craft paint. I also only use this material if I know that it will be hidden by some other covering, like tar paper or shingles.

Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  10:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For sheet styrene, check out the "For Sale" "Garage Sale" etc signs at Walmart. They usually have two different thicknesses and they're relatively inexpensive.

Len
http://escry.blogspot.com/

kot2b
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2011 :  11:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
I use Hal Reynolds - Atlantic Scale Modelers -Easy Roof Board. Take a look at my build of FSM Yehudah's Build Number 2 and you will see how I use it. It is a little thick, but I love the stuff as you can put a nice finished fascia edge on it and the lines are a great help when you go to add your foofing material.
Hope this helps.
Dave

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  12:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use framer's mat board exclusively. Unlike cereal box material and the like it is acid free and won't attract moisture to the same degree.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  06:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The cardboard backs from good quality (not the cheesy house brand) yellow legal pads are good solid stuff. I use it for all kinds of structure building. Sealing it with plain shellac or the white pigmented shellac seems to solve most moisture problems. The somewhat thick edges can be nicely hidden with wood trim.

Don

Edited by - AVRR-PA on 09/29/2011 10:47:05 AM

t.ariel
New Hire

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  07:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Troels. Mat board is the best choice. You can buy it new from any art supplier but it if you have a framer in your area you can ask him (her) to give you or sell you some of the leftover cut out centers from mats cut for pictures. I have a framer friend who gives me all that I need.

Tip

Rusty Stumps
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rusty Stumps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depends on the scale. Crescent Board for HO is good but Strathmore #500 heavy board is better for O scale.

Walt

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  11:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Stumps

Depends on the scale. Crescent Board for HO is good but Strathmore #500 heavy board is better for O scale.

Hi Walt, what kind of Crescent Board do you use? There is hot press and cold press, and three different sizes of each I know of, but I am guessing 14 ply, or No. 20.

Tony B.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

smason2
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  12:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use .30 chipboard from Uline. www.uline.com

Scott

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Just been ripped off... Model Tech Studios S0054 Topic Next Topic: SWSM Wood Cutters Shack final pics  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000