Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore RR in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore RR in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment Topic Next Topic: Best Steam Locomotive
Page: of 6

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  6:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been spending the past few weeks adding grass, ballast and sand to Cape Charles yard. Started using the Grass Master and following Bill's advice the grass is a mixture of about 4 or 5 different types that vary in color and height. I'm trying to get an early December look so there's only a hint of green with mostly browns and beige.

I also worked on the corner of the yard adding bare trees with a few of the Silfor autumn leaves. Finally, my first attempt at high grass using the bristles from a duster sits in front of the trees. I was curious how this would turn out since there are a lot of areas I plan to cover with this technique. I think the general look is acceptable and if I use a light airbrush, I'm able to keep some of the softness.

Pictures below are of the Cape Charles yard with the coverings and with the overpass temporarily in place.

Warehouse on backdrop is across a small harbor

Yard Overview

View from where engine house will sit

Corner with trees and high grass

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  7:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Dave. I love the early winter scenery.

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  8:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, is the grass just glued to the surface or are there clumps inserted into holes? They look like a good material for a wetlands area.

George

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  12:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Dave, your moving quickly! Its looking great.

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  08:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, I like the look that you are achieving. It captures the look and 'feel' of the area.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  09:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arnold, Mark, Bruce,

Thanks for your encouragement.

George,

After trying a bunch of things I settled on sticking the stalks in modeling clay (picture below). I try to get the clay layer as thin as possible so it blends into the existing scenery. I will be using this for marshland and I have a large area that I'll have to cover.

From a distance the effect works and as I refined my airbrushing I was better able to keep the softness of the bristle ends.

I'm not totally happy with my color as I think it's a bit too yellow. I'm going to try a more brown grey look on the next batch.

What I'll also do next time is use a more spread out row on the edges of the area to get away from the clumping look

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  12:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I'll rephrase my question, is the grass just glued to the surface or are there clumps inserted into holes, or did you use clay?

Nice idea, I've never seen clay used before.

George

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  8:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've continued to work on the scenery and refining techniques for trees and high grass. Finally was able to get a color of grass that I'm comfortable with by combining Buff Titanium, Davy's Grey and a little Burnt Umber. The color is more tan than the yellow I'd had before and I'm more pleased with the outcome.

I also realized that I was planting the grass to densely and my more recent grass areas look much better. Additionally, by spraying the grass more lightly with the airbrush, it preserves the frayed tips of the bristles and more closely resembles the tips of marsh grass.

I also moved the grass I pictured in my previous post. It didn't look natural and instead I filled in the area with more trees (Picture 1).

The second picture is a an overview of the area near the throat of the Cape Charles yard. To the right of the underpass is the yard and to the left is the transition to the line to Exmore.

The remaining pictures are of the new area of scenery.

Previous area filled with grass, replaced with trees.

Overview of area (excuse the poor photo)

New area of scenery

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2012 :  2:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks really good there Dave. Glad you found your recipe. Mine is more green so I use 3 or 4 different greens and go lighter on the tans and browns. It is looking 'cold' on your layout.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  02:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I dropped my jaw to the floor.. The work here on this layout is outstanding!

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

Steam Nut
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  06:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Just catching up on you, Very well done.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/28/2012 :  08:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  8:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the positive comments.

Continuing to add trees and landscaping to the area around Cheriton. Iíd like to forest about another two feet then Iím going to finish the bridge that crosses the Cape Charles yard throat, build the abandoned train station (although itís more a shed than a station at Cheriton) and then my first major build, the maintenance building at Cape Charles.

Some additional pictures below:

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  07:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe I pay more attention to trees than most (easily possible), or maybe I don't know what they look like in the Delmarva area (having never been there), but I think your patches of foreground forest would look better if there was more variation in height and trunk diameter. Height would be easiest to change, and would be most visible from a distance (as in your last photo). Diameter would be tougher: Could you dip the lower parts of some of the weeds you're using in glue, plaster or something like that to bulk them up before final painting?

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/22/2012 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's amazing how many trees it takes to make a small forest, especially when there's no canopy to hide behind. I've been adding more, and, consistent with James' suggestion, I'm trying to get away from the uniform look that came across in the last pictures.

I've added some underbrush and most recently have put in some pine trees which really help. I'm about tree'd out, so after doing some house cleaning on the layout and layout room, I'm going to try my hand at a few small buildings, add a road crossing with flashers, and finish the overpass.

Below are a few shots of the wooded area and new pines.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment Topic Next Topic: Best Steam Locomotive  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000