Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore RR in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore RR in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment Topic Next Topic: Best Steam Locomotive
Page: of 6

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  6:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice backdrop. While I was taking a close look, I thought about your track - it's right on the foam. You might want to carve or melt out a bit of a drainage ditch on either side, unless they'd completely filled in by your modeling era.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  10:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Grubes! I think I may have just discovered who can paint my backdrops!

Mark

akimmons
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Send akimmons an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awesome Dave! Didn't know you were an artist. You've been holding out on us! Love those pines...

Arnold Kimmons
General Manager
Royal and Edisto Railroad

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49360

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  05:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That backdrop looks impressive. it is nice to see something else than a sunny day with a few clouds! A work of art!!! :)

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  9:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, George, Neil, LandNnut,

Thanks for the comments.

Rick,
Guess the grey and foreboding is a natural color for me. Wife says there are people with glasses half full and half empty, but I don't have a glass.

The valence is an optical illusion. What you're seeing is the wall (Marine Blue) that looks like a valance.

Also, don't think you or Mark should trust me with your backdrops. Seems that I tend to get good results by accident. I put some paint on the wall and the smudge that I see next to what I've tried to paint winds up more like what I want than what I actually tried to paint.

Ollie,
I've always liked model rr's that had a feel to them. Frary and Hayden's Thatcher's Inlet was one of my biggest influences and I felt that a "dreary" backdrop might be a good way of trying to capture a mood. Also reminds me a lot of some of the skies that I've seen at sea during my Navy days.

James,

You're right on. I've been troubled with the flatness since I laid the track and in the next few weeks I'm going to scoop out some foam on either side of the track. Could have been avoided with better planning, but I'm always learning.

Arnold,

I think you set the bar for a piney background. Hopefully, I can blend the foreground with the backdrop as well as you have.

I painted the Cape Charles backdrop this weekend and hope to post these pictures soon.

Thanks to all for following,
Dave

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2012 :  10:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attached are pictures of the Cape Charles backdrop. The water tower is about 1/2 mile from the yard throat and the styrofoam in my picture represents the road crossing the throat.

The buildings including the red shed are across the bay from the yard. The right side of the landscape is the concrete plant with piles of crushed stone and barges and is the destination of the spur that goes into the backdrop.

This completes over half of the backdrop painting and I'll probably take a little break and work on some other things before finishing the rest.

Water Tower

Across the Bay from the Cape Charles Yard

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2012 :  12:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As i am following this thread i am so happy for getting those CSX and FEC units, though I bet they are a bit more modern.... :)

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

Pacbelt
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  02:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pacbelt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely following it too! You're off to a great - and seemingly rapid - start!!!
You might consider starting a business painting backdrops!!! Beautiful!
BTW, what colors did you use for weathering your track? It looks great!

INRAIL
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  7:26:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is WOW!!! I really like your sky. Everything is looking great. :o)

Tom Johnson

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  8:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carmine/Tom.

Carmine. First I spray the rails with Boxcar Red, then follow-up with spray of Rust followed by a light final coat of Grimy Black.

This past weekend I weathered the remaining track and added joint bars to the rails facing the front of the layout. I've also been experimenting with scenery material. I picked up some things from Michaels Arts and Crafts. Stuck a few of the twigs in the foam to see how they might look. They definitely need some painting to better match the background and I'm not sure about the shape especially the trunks. Wondered what others might think as the branches look a lot like what you get from Scenic Express.

I also yanked some of the plastic wipers off the bottom of a duster and have been experimenting with using them as marsh grass (final picture)

Tree tests

Marsh Grass test

Edited by - Grubes on 01/31/2012 12:30:06 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your dust brush wipers look like the invasive "phragmites australis" reed. This didn't really start to appear in New England until the 1970s; I don't know what's native to Chesapeake Bay, or even if this reed is a problem down there...

ChipC
New Hire

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  11:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Your dust brush wipers look like the invasive "phragmites australis" reed. This didn't really start to appear in New England until the 1970s; I don't know what's native to Chesapeake Bay, or even if this reed is a problem down there...

I'm not sure of the time frame of their arrival, but phragmites are very much a problem here by the Chesapeake. Somewhere around ten years ago I can remember helping to clear them out of a fishing pond at a local state park as they had choked it.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  07:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progess, awesome sky!

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  9:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A progress update:

Took Jamesí advice and cut drainage ditches around the main line and it looks much better (thanks James). Also agree with him and Chip that the reeds look more like the invasive grass than the softer looking marsh grass.

Iíve been working a lot on the Cape Charles area, my first attempt at scenery. Iíve laid the base layer for the yard, Polyblend non-sanded Fawn grout, and have used some chalks to dirty up the engine area. Also have put some ballast down in some places. The Eastern Shore RR doesnít have a lot of money to spend and in the yard where the speeds are slow, thereís a lot of dirt and grass covered areas. Iím trying to create this with the grout as the base layer, and then Iíll use the Noch grassmaster. Trying to find the right mix of static grass both in height and color to create overgrown areas in the winter timeframe.

Iíve also started working on the vehicle overpass over the yard entrance along with the hill that receives the overpass. Iíve put some of the initial pictures below. I built the hill using Sculpta-mold over plaster impregnated cloth, then gave it a wash of Burnt Sienna followed by black. I topped it with Burnt Grass static grass (not using the Grassmaster) with a final layer of crushed leaves that I picked up from my back yard. Iím going to start making some trees as the hill and surrounding area will have a significant number. The foreground will be high grass before blending into the static grass area of the main yard.

My apologies for the poor quality pictures, I'll blame it on the iPhone.

Basic Grout

"View across harbor" from Cape Charles Engine Faciliy

Cape Charles Yard Photos and initial modeling

Cape Charles Yard Throat From Overpass

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  01:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looking good! I like the color of the Polyblend non sanded grout. Fawn is a nice dry dirt color.

Over on the Model Railroad Construction thread, New Haven RR Scenery thread, I have added photos of myself and my wife using the Grass Master. What I've found with using static grass is, blend your own. I use 6 or 7 different colors and grass heights and mix them together. One trick I have discovered is you don't mix them well. The static grass tends to clump up in the hopper but that is OK. Especially when you want random areas of different colors of grasses. When you shake or tap on the Grass master what comes out will be a nicely mixed range of color patches. Which is what you want instead of being uniform. The only time you want uniform is when your doing a lawn. Make sure you put in some light wheat color or dead grass and some brown grasses with all the greens. This gives you the nice randomness you want. You also want to mix at least 3 different heights in together. It makes it look wilder.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 02/21/2012 02:29:30 AM

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment Topic Next Topic: Best Steam Locomotive  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000