Railroad Line Forums - Eastern Shore RR in HO
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Eastern Shore RR in HO
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment Topic Next Topic: Best Steam Locomotive
Page: of 6

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  10:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see an update from you Dave! Knowing what you did in N scale, I can't wait to see what you do in HO scale.

Mark

alpha_1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  11:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just finishing off the planning part of my layout. I've ordered some materials and I'm now waiting impatiently to begin construction. I noticed your trackplan......very similar to my own. I like it, hope it works out well for you.

Cheers!

Gord Schneider
President and Chief Engineer,
Kootenay Lakes Steam & Navigation Company

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  3:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The proto 87 switches are great. But the only time they really matter is when taking photos. I operated all day on LV Ralph's layout and didn't notice that he had joint bars because I didn't expect to see them. He said nobody notices them.
L&N nut
Jon

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  7:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did/does the Eastern Shore connect with the RR In Delaware? I have a beach house in Ocean View and pass the rail served grain elevators at Bridgeville, have seen coal train south of Dover on 113, a track crosses Highway 20 and 26 in Dagsboro, etc.

Long ago when the bridge over the C&D Canal was out I recall them saying they would have to serve southern Delaware via ferry out of Virginia. Just curious as the rail operations would make a nice shelf layout in P:48.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV and Ocean View DE

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  10:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A trip down the Delmarva takes one to the past. Back 25 years ago, I drove down with a fellow railfan and we visited the towers still in operation. Today they are all closed but the trains still run.

The Eastern Shore is easy to fan as most rails run roadside. Thanks Dave for this new thread -- looking forward to your progress.

ChipC
New Hire

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  4:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Uffelman

Did/does the Eastern Shore connect with the RR In Delaware? I have a beach house in Ocean View and pass the rail served grain elevators at Bridgeville, have seen coal train south of Dover on 113, a track crosses Highway 20 and 26 in Dagsboro, etc.

Long ago when the bridge over the C&D Canal was out I recall them saying they would have to serve southern Delaware via ferry out of Virginia. Just curious as the rail operations would make a nice shelf layout in P:48.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV and Ocean View DE

There's another line up near you called the MD & DE that comes south to Snow Hill, MD but doesn't come much past there. Bay Coast RR (formerly ESHR being modeled here) terminates in Pocomoke, where it is then picked up by Norfolk Southern which carries it north to Salisbury and beyond, I believe NS carries all of the "viable" lines on the Delmarva peninsula.

I'm looking forward to following this, I was really eagerly watching your N scale posts. I'm a resident of Pocomoke City and have tried to learn a bit of the local rail lore. We have a Cassatt tower and 20's era station still hanging around, the station is available for rent from the City. We have an interesting rotating rail bridge over the river too...

Edited by - ChipC on 12/09/2011 4:14:28 PM

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  9:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appreciate all the feedback.

Regarding some of the comments:

The backdrop is a bit ominous with the potential of a severe Nor'easter. Have lived though a few both while in Norfolk and in Jersey. I'm preparing for the weather on the layout by using extra glue.

From Brownbr: "On your trackplan-is the liftout the Bay-Bridge tunnel? Ha!" That would be some model, but it will be the bridge over the Pocomoke River at the north end of the RR.

LandNnut: Every ounce of common sense tells me that the superdetailing is not worth it, yet every bit of obsessive compulsiveness has me thinking about it all the time. Similar to Rick (Harsco) I will wait on the detailing until after I have the track, wiring and scenery in as a consolation.

Bill, Chip was spot on with his answer about the end of the Eastern Shore (now Bay Coast RR). However, the origin of the Eastern Shore RR was the old Philadelphia and Norfolk that ran all the way up the DelMarVa peninsula but I'm not sure if the trackage in Delaware is from the original right of way.

Dlwrailfan1 and Chip; I've attached a picture of the tower at Pocomoke that I took in the 1980's and you can just see the swing bridge in the background. As I mentioned earlier, my lift out will be the Pocomoke River and I'm going to try to model both the tower and the swing bridge.

alpha_1, have you posted your track plan on the forum? I'd like to see it.

As far a progress report:

Although I havenít finished all wiring and Iíve made a modification to the yard at Cape Charles, Iím happy to say that the main line track is complete and all switches on the main are wired, so technically, Iíll claim that Iíve driven the Golden Spike.

Regarding Cape Charles, I went out and splurged on a curved turnout and the added space will allow me to come close enough to the general Cape Charles trackplan that it will now be an operating point of interest instead of a visible fiddle yard.

The more I futzed (a Harsco term) around, the more I was able to get a better representation of the actual Eastern Shore terminus and headquarters footprint. Iíll have engine facilities, a spur that will disappear into the backdrop that represents trackage to the major cement plant at the Cape, and a four-track yard that is used to hold freight cars for loading and unloading onto the car ferry. I am resigned to not building the ferry slip but I can simulate ferry operations.

Below, I have an overview picture that I compiled from a group of pictures I took from the overpass (that Iíll be able to model) at the throat of the yard, a diagram of the actual trackplan at Cape Charles, and a few shots of my rough trackage.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  09:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sprayed my backdrops with a paper acid-free sealer, in part to protect them from accidental moisture from scenery. It would also probably help the backdrops weather Nor'easters...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

ChipC
New Hire

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  12:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grubes

From Brownbr: "On your trackplan-is the liftout the Bay-Bridge tunnel? Ha!" That would be some model, but it will be the bridge over the Pocomoke River at the north end of the RR.

Bill, Chip was spot on with his answer about the end of the Eastern Shore (now Bay Coast RR). However, the origin of the Eastern Shore RR was the old Philadelphia and Norfolk that ran all the way up the DelMarVa peninsula but I'm not sure if the trackage in Delaware is from the original right of way.

Dlwrailfan1 and Chip; I've attached a picture of the tower at Pocomoke that I took in the 1980's and you can just see the swing bridge in the background. As I mentioned earlier, my lift out will be the Pocomoke River and I'm going to try to model both the tower and the swing bridge.

I read somewhere that the New York, Philadelphia, and Norfolk RR was devised by Alexander Cassatt as the PRR didn't believe it would work out. He later leased it to them... It's deeper than that but that's on the surface.

That's a good picture of the tower. While it is still standing in one piece, it doesn't look nearly as good anymore.

There's a nice spur off to the left of where your photo was taken from that services a construction company, though I don't think its active anymore. When I build my layout someday, I plan to model that spur and continue it to the composite military armor factory just beyond its end.

Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see it.

Edited by - ChipC on 12/12/2011 3:52:08 PM

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  3:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a bunch of photo's of the tower at Pocomoke from just a few years ago. It stands at the swing bridge over the Pocomoke River. From the photo you posted Dave it varies just slightly. Would my Pocomoke photos help you with anything you are doing?

Joe <><

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  9:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

I have a bunch of photo's of the tower at Pocomoke from just a few years ago. It stands at the swing bridge over the Pocomoke River. From the photo you posted Dave it varies just slightly. Would my Pocomoke photos help you with anything you are doing?

Joe <><

Joe,

I'll take you up on the offer. I plan to put the tower on .the left side of Willis Wharf right before the lift out (Trackplan is on my first post).

Thanks

ChipC
New Hire

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  11:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grubes

quote:
Originally posted by jatravia

Joe <><

Joe,

I'll take you up on the offer. I plan to put the tower on .the left side of Willis Wharf right before the lift out (Trackplan is on my first post).

Thanks

If I get a chance I'll snap a few as well.. If it was a bit warmer it would be a good excuse to throw the boat over and get some good ones of the bridge, as well as the other side of the tower.

If you'll be building the tower, could you take a few pictures of the build process? I wouldn't mind replicating it myself, but I've never even attempted a scratch build.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  11:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pocomoke - at one time this was a bustling city but you wouldn't really know it to look at it now. They are trying to bring the city back to life but it is slow going. My wife and I really liked a Bed-N-Breakfast there but the owners sold the place ... I doubt I will be down that way again.

Joe <><

The "fog" is really a fogged camera lense. It was a hot morning and the car was well air conditioned. This is the only photo of the south side of the tower that I have though.

Bridge detail.

This photo is looking north from the station.

This photo is looking east on the Pocomoke River

Looking west on the Pocomoke River

Looking south, towards the river, from the station.

Looking south, towards the river, from the station.

Grubes
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  9:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chip,

Thanks for reinvigorating my interest in Pocomoke. I now intend to build the tower, bridge and station and this will really help me with operations as I'll have both ends of the line. Probably be a few weeks (months?) before I start the project as I have a ToDo list of things required to get the track down and wired.

Joe,

Great pictures, thank you. I'd taken some of Pocomoke a long time ago, but not nearly the number that you have and each of yours differs in angle and location from my photos.

I've attached a photo of the area I've reserved for Pocomoke which is just behind the Willis Wharf area. The view would be looking from the Pocomoke Station south toward the tower and the bridge. This is the view identical to Joe's photo. You can just barely make out a foam block on the right side of the track toward the back which represents the tower and the bridge will be on the liftout just behind the tower.

As an update, I've really done quite a bit since the last posting with all track down and all switch machines installed. I have about 6 more switch machine decoders to wire, a few feeder wires and then I can claim that all track and basic wiring complete.

I'm very satisfied with the end track plan from an operational view and feel that it captures the ESHR flavor. Next post I'll show the final trackplan and describe my operational scheme.

Have even purchased some rolling stock and have done a little switching of grain hoppers at the Exmore granary.

I expect to finish the wiring by the end of the week and then add backdrop along three walls before starting on scenery.

Saving up some funds for next major purchase of a walk around throttle; right now I'm operating from a Digitrax Zephyr. Also have a wish list of other rolling stock that will gradually make their way onto the layout.

Thanks to all for your comments and a happy holiday season.

Edited by - Grubes on 12/18/2011 9:55:58 PM

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  11:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Headed to Ocean View from Chicago Christmas night after visiting our "due on 12/16" granddaughter who will be born before Christmas or no presents for her! May take a ride down to the south end of the peninsula to see the sights while we are there. I like the grain elevators at Bridgeville DE -- a good use for O scale grain cars on a shelf switching layout.

Back in the early 1960s I built old O scale kits for a octogenarian who had been a PRR engineer who ran to Rehoboth in the 1920s and 1930S. As a retiree he got to use the clubhouse on the boardwalk.

Have a great holiday season!

Bill Uffelman
Las Vefas NV and Ocean View DE

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Korean Railway (KORAIL) Equipment Topic Next Topic: Best Steam Locomotive  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000