Railroad Line Forums - Harry Brunk and the HOn3 Union Central & Northern
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Loren Johnsen ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Harry Brunk and the HOn3 Union Central & Northern
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rick Huntrods HOn3 Topic Next Topic: Couplers for MDC Shay in HOn3
Page: of 3

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  1:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that Harry's railroad will still be around. I used to look forward in reading his articles in the Gazette and was one of the reasons I subscribed to the gazette.

Great photo's, hope to see more photos of Harry's layout in its new digs.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  5:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rick,
Great job in securing and then finding an appropriate preservation place for a layout that would have been a inspiration piece for many modellers across the lifetime of the articles that have appeared in NG&SLG (and the book). Always was a well documented layout, with plenty of great plans connected to it. Thanks for putting up the overall photos...really helps put the whole thing in perspective (as mentioned, the magazine articles normally cropped into just one scene or structure).

Best of luck with the move and rebuilding process, and its also great to hear that Harry will have an open ticket to keep playing and adding to the display.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  12:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One problem with the magazine photos was the lighting. The color was always "off". I think maybe from shooting film indoors under artificial light. Digital cameras seem to do a much better job correcting for the light.

Although my own layout is freelance, I always admired Harry's dedication to authenticity -- even going back and changing existing models when new information came along. Yet he was never an inflexible fanatic about it, often showing a willingness to modify or add to a scene as needed to make it better.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  5:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for finding a solution to display this great layout, Rick.
I was very interested, too, by the new point of view this series of photos, less aimed at details, gives on the layout. I love it.

LaBelle
New Hire

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  1:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank You Gentlemen,

Your support is very appreciated.

An article appeared in the local paper last Thursday. The response, according to the Cheyenne Depot Museum General Manager James Bowers, was that the response was overwhelmingly positive.

Many of your comments here have been forwarded to the Museum Board Members.

They were enthusiastic for this project in the first place and many of the comments expressed here have helped reinforce that enthusiasm.

Rick Steele

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  8:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats some good new's that the layout will be set up at the Cheyenne Depot Museum.

LaBelle
New Hire

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Layout has arrived in Cheyenne and although the mobile home that was housing it was a bit bunged up when it was placed behind the depot, the layout has survived intact, that is without major damage.

Now the fun begins of first cleaning up the Mobile Home so that nothing that fell to the floor is any further damaged, cleaning out the attic area in the depot, then the dismantling, fitting, reassembly, etc.

Rick

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  7:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful update Rick. Glad to hear that things are moving forward and the project is still going strong. Please continue to keep us advised.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

LaBelle
New Hire

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  5:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As of this weekend, Mike Pannell and a crew from the Sherman Hill Model Railroad club here in Cheyenne successfully moved Black Hawk to its new home on the second floor of the depot.

Mike said that there was some damage where some of the plaster was connected to the backdrop, but that was to be expected.

Silver Plume and the wye preceded Black Hawk earlier in the week, so work continues to be done.

Next to move will be Idaho Springs.

Mike has set up a Facebook page for the UC&N. There are a couple of moving shots posted there.

Rick Steele

theteejmiester
New Hire

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  3:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot wait for this layout to be moved, I will make the trip regardless of how many miles I have to drive to see it in person. Harry Brunk has had the biggest inspiration on me and my modeling over the years,more than anyone else ever has as a matter of fact. I remember being just 8 when I got the May 1989 modelrailroader and started drooling over the bear trapped stacked 2-8-0's and beautiful scenery. it has stuck in my head every since.Hell I still have that old tattered MR and read it to this day. guess you could say i am obsessed with his modeling could you please post me a link to the facebook page so that I may follow along with the layouts travels? because for some reason I cannot find it when I search. and thank you for the great pics, they make the layout look even more amazing than before.

Just call me TJ...

theteejmiester
New Hire

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  3:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wait never mind the link, i found it

Just call me TJ...

Vagel Keller
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  02:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vagel Keller's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just discovered this thread, and must say that it's a wonderful thing that you've done, Rick. Although I'm an eastern narrow gauger (EBT fan, modeling an EBT-clone in HOn3), I've been inspired by Harry's modeling efforts since long before he was led to create the "little Colorado" mobile home for the UC&N. So glad that the layout will have a permanent home on Terra Firma and that Harry will continue to work on the layout in its new home.

Narrow gauge modelers everywhere owe you and the folks in Cheyenne a great debt of gratitude.

Vagel Keller

Edited by - Vagel Keller on 11/17/2011 02:22:03 AM

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  11:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow what an awesome layout. It is so great that you could do this. Seeing this in the museum will make so many people happy.

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  10:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading about the move in the Sept/Oct Gazette and thought it'd be worth bumping this thread.

I remember reading about Little Colorado in MR and could tell the mobile home was old but didn't realize it was more than 50 years old! Amazing that it was still road worthy.
Does anybody know if Harry has moved to Cheyenne yet or if any other work has been done to the layout?

rckwallaby
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit rckwallaby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go this website and you'll find almost 400 photos of the move and restoration.

http://car57.zenfolio.com/p540335402/h2fc4b436#h27d64d2b

Or this site:
http://www.cheyennedepotmuseum.org/model-railroad

I don't know the exact latest info.

Cheers

Edited by - rckwallaby on 09/27/2012 11:50:27 PM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Rick Huntrods HOn3 Topic Next Topic: Couplers for MDC Shay in HOn3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000