Railroad Line Forums - Harry Brunk and the HOn3 Union Central & Northern
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 Harry Brunk and the HOn3 Union Central & Northern
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rick Huntrods HOn3 Topic Next Topic: Couplers for MDC Shay in HOn3
Page: of 3

LaBelle
New Hire

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  4:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For all of you who follow Model Railroads, Harry Brunk should be a familiar name. He has written a column and two books about Up Clear Creek on the Narrow Gauge. His HOn3 Layout has been the subject of his writing for the past 31 years. His first article on Black Hawk was in 1980. I have collaborated with him frequently in the past and have been mentioned in numerous articles.

No, this is not an Obit. Harry is just fine and I talked to him this morning on the phone.

Due to changing circumstances in his personal life, he has sold his 65'x 12' layout. He has sold the Mobile Home that it was housed it, all the Rolling stock, Locomotives, Buildings, the whole shooting match. He sold it to me.

I have, for all intents and purposes, given this layout to the Cheyenne Depot Museum. The UC&N will be disassembled from this Mobile Home and moved into the Baggage Room attic and reassembled for public viewing there.

It was a good match. The Cheyenne Depot Museum has wanted a Model Railroad Layout for years. I had the choice. I either horde this layout and place it next to LaBelle Woodworking and watch it deteriorate for the next few decades while I make feeble attempts to keep the roof watertight, or I sell it piece by piece on someplace like e-bay, or I put it in a place that will appreciate it and that will give Harry the credit for this piece of art that he deserves. I chose the latter.

The Cheyenne Depot Museum is a very nice facility, climate controlled with security on site. I hope that this will preserve the layout long after Harry and I are gone

Mike Pannell from the Car 57 project here in Cheyenne has been a Godsend to me, arranging the move. With Mike's being on the Cheyenne Depot Museum board he also arranged the time for me to present the proposal where I would transfer ownership to them. I must say that they were very, very enthusiastic.

I am now open to field any and all questions from you folks, and seeing that the National Narrow Gauge Convention is now in full swing in North Carolina, let's watch the fur (and rumors about me) fly.

Our projected opening date for the public to see the layout is next May during Cheyenne Depot Days.

Information about the Cheyenne Depot Museum can be found at the following website: [www.cheyennedepotmuseum.org]

Rick Steele

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  6:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick

I've followed layout for years through articles in magazines.

I think what you have done is a wonderful thing. So that all may enjoy this great railroad that Harry built.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

bullbrauch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  7:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooh I'm down south in Greeley, CO, I may have to find some time to shoot up and help you! Keep us informed of the details.

Brandan
Living in Colorado,
home of the Rio Grande

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  7:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear the layout is being perserved!

Mike

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  8:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news, Rick!
I was just looking over his article about the layout in the 2002 Model Railroad Planning issue. Any chance you could post some recent photos of the layout? Also, I'm hoping that you'll document the move. When is the move scheduled to begin?

Looking forward to following this!
Bill

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's sad that Harry had to give up his layout, which I'm sure has been a labor of love for many, many years, and I'm sorry he's going through what must be a difficult time. But I'm glad to know that his work is being preserved.

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  11:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rick, thank you for helping preserve this layout, and in a place where it can be appreciated and seen by many!

Sorry to hear about Harry having to pack it up and see the layout go - it has been a regular installment in the Gazette for many years, and he will no doubt miss it greatly.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  4:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MinerFortyNiner

Rick, thank you for helping preserve this layout, and in a place where it can be appreciated and seen by many!

Sorry to hear about Harry having to pack it up and see the layout go - it has been a regular installment in the Gazette for many years, and he will no doubt miss it greatly.

What he said, both parts!!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  5:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like Dave, I can not strongly enough second both statements which Vern made.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  6:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Due to changing circumstances in his personal life, he has sold his 65'x 12' layout. He has sold the Mobile Home that it was housed it, all the Rolling stock, Locomotives, Buildings, the whole shooting match. He sold it to me.

I have, for all intents and purposes, given this layout to the Cheyenne Depot Museum. The UC&N will be disassembled from this Mobile Home and moved into the Baggage Room attic and reassembled for public viewing there.

You, sir, have done a wonderful thing.

That layout is a lifetime's worth of hard work that you have prevented from being forgotten or destroyed.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

LaBelle
New Hire

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  3:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know, fella's, I didn't say that Harry was sick or never going to model again. I just said that there were changes in his personal life. He's still a healthy and active man.

He wants to move west to this neck of the woods. Putting the layout in a new, more public and larger venue will provide fodder for more articles, should Harry choose to write them.

Part of my contract with the Museum is that Harry has carte blanche to work on the layout whenever he desires, within normal business hours.

Rick Steele

LaBelle
New Hire

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  3:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One other thing, if you want to see a photo of Harry taken last week, along with the UC&N, go to Mike Pannell's zenfolio site right here:

http://car57.zenfolio.com/p540335402

It's worth the look. Maybe Harry can give pointers to all of us once he settles in out here.

Rick Steele

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  4:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the photo pointer. For once, someone looks like I actually imagined he'd look.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

spyder62
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  5:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great. When you move it are the backdrops still going to be saved or will they have to be repainted.
Thanks agian for saving it and hope to see it next may when I go to Denver for the Z scale convention.
rich

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  8:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link to the pics! Those are the best photos I've seen of his layout. For some reason, the pics that accompany his articles don't do it justice.

LaBelle
New Hire

Posted - 09/22/2011 :  10:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit LaBelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are going to try and save and reuse as much of the layout as it possible in the new space, including the backdrops.

There are a couple of backdrops that Harry doesn't like and he will probably either repaint or replace them.

I agree about the photos. I think that many of the magazines concentrate on the details and not on the overall layout and what a great piece of artwork it actually is.

Rick

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Rick Huntrods HOn3 Topic Next Topic: Couplers for MDC Shay in HOn3  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000