Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 244 ]  [ Total: 245 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/18/2011 :  2:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard....never thought of the Flea markets....
but being lazy bum that I am, I will just travel down
18 bay parkway to the iron man....funny, I thought
they were larger than 5/8 nominal.....very good!!!
(Now I know where to send Virgil & Grumpy for breakfast!)

Edited by - Geezer on 09/21/2011 07:43:33 AM

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/18/2011 :  2:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Thanks Richard....never thought of the Fle markets....
but being lazy bum that I am, I will just travel down
18 bay parkway to the iron man....funny, I thought
they were larger than 5/8 nominal.....very good!!!
(Now I know where to send Virgil & Grumpy for breakfast!)

You're so very welcome Bill. Down here in the south we have a dearth of machine shops. We do have the Avondale Ship Yard but I'm not allowed access :-( There are a number of off-shore related businesses but that's usually really big stuff. I'm sure we must have an "iron man" or something like it. I never have enough weights! I'll have to keep a lookout.

Virgil and Grumpy would like Poppy's. They don't serve diet food there ;-) They're famous for hamburgers steamed under a hubcap and their jalapeņo-chili-cheese-fries are to die for, or is it from? They, of course, serve a mean breakfast. They used to be open 24/7 but I'm not sure about that after Katrina.

Richard...

Richard

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  01:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi y'all...

One last post before I hit the sack. For the newcomers as well as the old pros that would just like to see what makes me tick, I took a photo of some of the tools I work with. I'll be doing this from time to time. We've already done the weight thing. Tonight's subject is cutting tools and tape.

The photo below shows from left to right in the left front a draftsman's mechanical pencil for marking things, (ignore the weight) a fat "shovel" x-acto, standard #11 blade, skinny "shovel" and my favorite Olfa with the new "artist's blade" sharper point than the normal snap-off blade, sorta like a #11. I use the Olfa a lot 'cause they're slightly thinner than the x-acto blades. These all have an important role in the construction of the boxcars.

Up top, left to right, is drafting tape (releases easier than normal masking tape) Scotch double-stick tape (I use this a lot for fixing templates) drafting dots (left over from the day, convenient for a quick piece of tape, hard to find any more, probably won't replace them when they're gone) and standard magic tape, mostly used to gang-tape sticks for sanding.

Almost forgot, in the background are the tooth picks and carpenter's glue I use...

See y'all in the morning...

Richard...

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  06:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always nice to see what other modelers use !!

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  07:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the updated drawings richard! great progress on yours. i think i might do mine in plastic when i get around to it :)

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  12:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andykins

thanks for the updated drawings richard! great progress on yours. i think i might do mine in plastic when i get around to it :)

Hi Andykins... you're so very welcome.

Excellent idea. I really love working with styrene. I just wish the differences between styrene and wood were as simple as black and white. There are somethings well suited to styrene and others better done in wood. This time around, I took a long hard look at the plusses and minuses of each, let me tell you the list got long. I finally decided to do most of my modeling in wood. The decision was based on my list. Another's list may tilt the scales another way. Truth is, we'll be using a small bit of plastic in the build. If I was asked (don't) to build either of these cars in styrene, I'd do it in a heart beat! I look forward to seeing your results.

Richard...

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  1:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my last posting about tape and knives, you might have noticed the floor template for the o.f. boxcar. I've done some more work on it as pictured in the photo below...

Cutting all those notches to fit around the outside frame was tedious at best but not really difficult thanks to the template. The finished floor is sitting on the frame in this next photo. I'll wait 'till the last minute to glue it down, just in case I have to adjust something...

I also got a start on the side panels. I used the templates for both cars as they are really the same. There is, however, a very different strategy employed here. On the boxcar, we applied panels on top of the frame. On the o.f. box, we'll need to apply the panels on the top also, but face down so when we lift everything off of the template and flip everything over, we have a cat (just a test to see if you read all my posts). The care in cutting and assembling is complicated by the fact that the frame joints will be clearly visible as opposed to the boxcar's which wound up on the inside. So when you cut a stick and have a slight taper, make sure the best fit winds up on the bottom, so when we flip it over, we have a nicer cat.

You might also notice that I've switch over to a piece of tempered hardboard (masonite). I was advised to use this as a cutting surface years ago, before cutting mats came out. Cutting mats are nice for a lot of things but are much too spongy to chop sticks with the shovel blade (in the very left in the photo). The hardboard is probably tougher on the blades and eventually need replacing but as I recall, the boards last quite some time. The other important thing shown the photo is you're looking at my last 1/16" sq. stick. I haven't started on the end panels yet either. Sooo... I'll have to find something else to do 'till my Kappler order arrives. I'm sure that won't be hard to do...

Richard...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  2:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the cat ...

Taken with my trail camera ....

Tom M.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  2:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

I found the cat ...

Taken with my trail camera ....

Tom, you get a gold star!!! :-)

Richard...

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  07:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a cat as well, but no picture....I guess I only get a green star.
All kidding aside, that is a funny way to see if anyone is paying attention.
I have all my lumber and have printed out several copies of the plans. The
only choice I have is to dive right in and glue things up using waxed paper,
or wait til I get back to the layout and build some Jigs out of styrene.
What to do.....Thanks for the info on the "iron" and the follow up on
tools & stuff.....

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  08:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

I have a cat as well, but no picture....I guess I only get a green star.
All kidding aside, that is a funny way to see if anyone is paying attention.
I have all my lumber and have printed out several copies of the plans. The
only choice I have is to dive right in and glue things up using waxed paper,
or wait til I get back to the layout and build some Jigs out of styrene.
What to do.....Thanks for the info on the "iron" and the follow up on
tools & stuff.....

Hi Bill, thanks for the kind words...

The cat reference was from page 3 when I introduced the first addenda. I told a story about Kliban and his "Cat Book".

I would not hesitate building the frame right on top of a drawing template using double stick tape much like I've built up the sides. When done, put some weight on it 'till it dries, turn the frame over and carefully peel off the paper and tape. If any paper sticks to the wood, just shovel or sand it off. I keep calling those X-Acto chisel knives shovels 'cause I can never remember the number they use. I got this technique from Bob Hayden or Dave Frary (one of those New England twins anyway).

I'm still waiting for my second order of lumber from Kappler. In the meantime, I've been playing with trucks. Varoom, varoom! I'm still getting more kinds in. I'm really excited about a MacLeod Western Russell pattern truck that Jerry Kitts of Foothill Model Works turned me onto (he sells them too, imagine that :-). I'm also studying the impact of 24" wheels as opposed to the 22" wheels I've been accustomed to. More on that later.

I did find time to paint and weather some trucks, took photos of how I do that and will publish them later today.

'Till then, your indentured servant, Richard...

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  11:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised, I'm posting some photos of how I paint trucks and wheels. The first photo shows the set-up. Some time ago, I had someone cut these wheel masking jigs from .060" styrene. He wound up cutting several for me then lost interest. They really should be cut out of 1/16" plexiglass as the cut is super smooth and has a natural taper for the wheel treads. If anyone knows, or can, or will, cut these out of plex, I would be most happy to provide the necessary files. I stick the frames on toothpicks after I affix a small square of tape over the axel bearing holes.

The next two photos show the spray booth. I have a lazy susan to rotate items so I can spray all sides. I hold the frames in my hands while spraying and just use the foam for staging. It helps to wear exam gloves to keep spray off your hands. If you don't have a booth, do please spray outdoors to avoid inhaling bad stuff. I use rattle cans as much as possible to avoid cleaning my airbrush. Especially since I might crank things up to spray one small part. After painting, take a q-tip with the appropriate thinner and clean off the axel points and the bearing plate on the frames.

This photo shows the application of some Bragdon's weathering powders. I looked through all my reference photos of pre-roller bearing trucks and discovered that they don't weather nearly as much as is popular. Today's wheels get rusty because the roller bearings don't splash all over them. Older wheels get crud off the journal boxes. The truck frames seem to stay in pretty good condition too. I looked at existing 2' gauge railways in operation for most of my inspiration. The 3' photos I have on file do not show the trucks well (in shadow). The only heavily rusted trucks were not in service. So, using this information, I painted them with Floquil's grimy black and used grimy and dust bowl brown powders. In hindsight, I might just add a little more rust here and there. We modelers are known to add more character than reality.

This last image shows Fred sitting in the new boxcar evaluating my creation...

[

TTFN

Richard...

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  11:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow Richard great idea for the wheel spraying jig, masking stuf !!

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  11:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Richard! I figured if anyone would
"horn in" on the pictures, it would be "Fred"! LOL!
A new tip on the wheelset weathering is always good!
I have a couple sets of those wheel painting jigs
somewhere....sure are handy when you know where they are!

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  7:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a couple of companies that sell those painting jigs, Minutman being one of them.
http://www.minutemanscalemodels.com/category_s/54.htm
At $9.25 not a bad price. No connection, just a customer.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000