Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  5:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where might I find 1/32 x (1/8 scribed) and 1/32 x (1/16 scribed) sheets?

Tom M.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  6:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

Where might I find 1/32 x (1/8 scribed) and 1/32 x (1/16 scribed) sheets?

Hi Tom...

Good question...

I get my scribed products from Kappler. They have 1/32" x 3 1/2" x 12" basswood sheets with the 1/16" & 1/8" scribe used in the build. I tried my best to get Erik to scribe wider sheets, but he said he was not set up for that. He can, however, provide plain sheets as thin as .012". I get a lot of 1/64" stock from him that I use for structure siding. I slice it randomly for individual boards.

I see that Mt. Albert only handles 1/16" thick scribed products, and I'm pretty sure NorthEastern is in the same boat. On the other hand, NE has a lot of angels and "h" shapes that others do not carry. In my listing of suppliers above, I forgot about Midwest Products <http://www.midwestproducts.com/> I think they supply my LHS. A quick look at their site did not turn up any scribed stock at all. I know my LHS has more stock than Midwest, so now I'm not sure where they are getting their supplies.

Sooo... I's back to Kappler. Their service is friendly and delivery times are reasonable depending how exotic your order is (I tend to challenge Erik on occasion).

There must be more mills out there. If anyone knows of another, please chime in...

Gotta go, Fred's getting antsy...

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  7:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW...

Y'all might or might not have noticed that I use some plain 1/32" stock for some items in the build. Particularly the roof "rafters" as well as some exterior trim coming down the line. So, if you're making out an order, include at least one package of the plain stuff.

Also, when you order strip wood, I seem to be using the 1/16" square stuff more than the other sizes. So, double-up there... It's used in most of the framework in the boxcar and o.f. box as well as the long pieces for the roof framing.

Richard...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  7:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard,

Can you give a quantity list such as this amount will build 3 or 4 boxcars?

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  8:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kappler appears to have all the sizes required for the build. I could be wrong and someone may correct me

Tom M.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  8:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Northeastern is similar on the scribed siding.
I use the 1/16" thick which they have in 6" wide sheets but their 1/32 is only 3 1/2" wide.
You might make allowances for the thicker material if you want.
For strip stock and sheets, I just located a place with great prices, www.nationalbalsa.com.
I plan on buying sheets and ripping my own stripwood.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

Richard,

Can you give a quantity list such as this amount will build 3 or 4 boxcars?

Good question Tom...

If this were a "this is how I did it" kind of thread as opposed to "this is how we're dong it" thread, I suppose I'd have a better handle on how much stock I used. As I mentioned earlier, I think I will use a lot more 1/16" sq. stock than I originally thought. I also did not order any 1/16" x 1/8" stock. It's used on the top frame of the sides. A sharp eye will notice that I just doubled up on the 1/16" stuff. It's going to be covered up for the most part anyway, but know this, I will be getting some in. It's listed on the side-frame template. But I made that list after I made my initial order. The strip-wood for the frames, side wall framing and roof templates include most all of what you will need for this build. If you get one package each of the strip wood (OK, two of the 1/16" sq.) and one package each of the scribed and plain siding, you should be in good shape for the build. I'm hoping there will be few surprises down the line. I do a lot more planning than most but once in awhile I just forge ahead, lest I get nothing done. I have other sins as well, I've been known to turn a library book in late. :-) Even then, I'm trying to get that expunged from my record.

After you finish this build, you'll have an idea what you wanna do next and how much stock it will take to do it. I have a number of cars up my sleeve, so stay tuned...

Richard...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  8:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to order from one supplier to keep the expensive shipping charges to Canada at a minimum.
I can order extra lumber by keeping the SH cost down.

I`ll work up an order tomorrow.

Tom M.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  8:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Northeastern is similar on the scribed siding.
I use the 1/16" thick which they have in 6" wide sheets but their 1/32 is only 3 1/2" wide.
You might make allowances for the thicker material if you want.
For strip stock and sheets, I just located a place with great prices, www.nationalbalsa.com.
I plan on buying sheets and ripping my own stripwood.

Hi Dave, thanks for the head-up on National Balsa. I've heard of them before, just forgot about them. I went to their site and promptly ordered three sheets of the 1/32" x 6" x 24" at under $3 per sheet. What a bargoon! then they hit me with a $13 shipping charge (on an $8 order) And then it's like "oh, you want tires with that"? They hit me with a $25.00 minimum order before shipping. They are truly a wholesale outfit, with great prices, but I don't really need that much!

I sent a message to Erik at Kappler, he might still be at work. I'll see what he can do about the wider sheets without scribing. I'll just use it for the roofs and scribe it myself.

Later...

Richard...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  8:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try " Phil's Hobby Shop ". May not have all you want but shipping was reasonable.

Tom M.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  10:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi y'all...

I took some time and perused the drawings one more time and realized that I am using some 1/64" stock for the exterior trim under the roof. I have all this sheet stock in this thickness so didn't give it a thought. The only wide pieces are at the roof ends. They are well under 1/4" high. Sooo. If you are making an order, be sure to include a pack of this strip wood. {#KP1236-P12 _ 1/64" x 1/4" or .016" x .250" x 12" 8 @ $3.75 per package.) You can use this to slice any pieces you need.

I will PM the members who have drawings so they will get this info asap.

Keeping you on your toes...

Richard...

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  07:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard....You got the hiccups??? ;-)
I am sorta kinda waiting to see what Tom M comes
up with as to a "quantity" for an order. I already
am waiting on a $100 order from NE supplies....
Question for Richard:P "Is there or will there be
provisions for adding weight to these cars?" Reason I ask,
I have some box cars and flats that are not weighted, and
do not track very well around curves......

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  07:33:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha, Bill. That's why I said in my different build threads that I used sheet lead inside the cars, glued to the floor before putting the roof on.
You can also glue pieces of sheet lead into the spaces between the frame.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  08:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

You can also glue pieces of sheet lead into the spaces between the frame.

And that works pretty good and isn't visible when the are on track !!

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2011 :  09:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone see any major problem with using 1/16 sheeting and scribed sheeting rather than 1/32. Would 1/16 be easier to work with? I don't think the extra thickness will affect the overall look of the boxcar.

Thoughts?

Tom M.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000