Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 226 ]  [ Total: 230 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  4:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have heard of that before, i just wish i thought about these things when i was at school and had access to a bloming great laser cutter :D :P

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  12:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning y'all...

I finally got some work done on the car sides after I sorted out all the addenda.

Started on the regular boxcar because the cutting for the inside frame doesn't have to be as accurate as the o.f. box. Gives me a chance to warm up.

This photo shows how I cut out the sheet stock. Just print out the template, stick it on with double sided tape and cut away.

The second photo shows the process of cutting the inner frame. Use the template provided and put double sided tape to attach the strips. Sizes are called out in addendum 1.2. The vertical siding is glued on top of the frame (I like to use massive weights).

In the pretense of checking my work, I take every opportunity to look at components in assembled form...

After the glue had set-up overnight , I was able to get a good look how the framing was coming along...

This is a close-up of the assembly. This might help you see how things go together. The roof frame was built some time earlier and is made up of 1/32" plain sheet stock. The end trusses are simple and the inner trusses are mortised to accept the 1/16" strips. The side panels have the top frame attached while the end panels leave this off, the roof frame picks this up and rests on the end panel frame. The end trusses are not mortised because this will become part of the outside box end framing.

That's all for now. I have to cut and assemble the flooring and inner side panels and this part of the boxcar build is complete.

I'll finish the outside frame up to this point with progress photos showing any differences.

Gotta get back to work...

Richard

BTW, I want to have the Sweet Haven RR logo at the beginning of each post, much like Mr. Kirk's Coast Line RR logo in his posts. Would someone be so kind as to teach me how to do this?

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  12:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good!!

quote:
BTW, I want to have the Sweet Haven RR logo at the beginning of each post, much like Mr. Kirk's Coast Line RR logo in his posts. Would someone be so kind as to teach me how to do this?

Think you have to ask one of the mods to upload it to the RRL server. Ditched my picture on my own and added the URL as avatar..

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  12:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Martin, I'm hoping one of the esteemed moderators will chime in.

Perhaps he can also tell me how to add quotes like your message above...

Thanks, Richard...

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  1:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard -
If you look straight to the right of the person that you want to quote,
find the icon that shows the little curved arrow. On my PC, its always
the last one to the right. If you click that (on the persons post that
you want to quote), it will bring up the GUI that will enable you to
post with that quote. You will also be able to edit the quote, so you
only have to only quote part or all of it. I hope this helps you.....
Nice build on the box car...I see that fred is still hanging around,
keeping tabs on you......;-)

Edited by - Geezer on 09/12/2011 1:01:33 PM

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

Richard -
If you look straight to the right of the person that you want to quote,
find the icon that shows the little curved arrow. On my PC, its always
the last one to the right. If you click that (on the persons post that
you want to quote), it will bring up the GUI that will enable you to
post with that quote. You will also be able to edit the quote, so you
only have to only quote part or all of it. I hope this helps you.....
Nice build on the box car...I see that fred is still hanging around,
keeping tabs on you......;-)

Thanks Geezer, I hope this works...

Fred's got his fingers crossed...

Richard...

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  2:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Richard. Your work is extremely neat.

Thanks for the pics and detailed descriptions.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  2:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It woiked!!!!! Yipppiiieeee!
Now Fred & da boys can go have a drink at Geezer's Grog.... ;-)

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rich, post a picture of the Sweet Haven RR logo in this thread:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5759
After that John, Bruce or myself will make it your avatar.

Thanks again for sending me your plans.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  4:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well Richard I see you have your avatar, looks good !!

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  4:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sanctuary much!

Richard...

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  12:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great logo, Richard! I have always loved sailing ships, so your logo on a narrow gauge model will be the best of both worlds!

Any chance there is another set of plans available???

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  1:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MinerFortyNiner

Great logo, Richard! I have always loved sailing ships, so your logo on a narrow gauge model will be the best of both worlds!

Any chance there is another set of plans available???

Hi Miner...

Thanks for the kind words about the logo. Since the Sweet Haven Railroad serves the port town of, well, Sweet Haven, it seemed appropriate to include a sailing vessel in the logo. Any movie buffs have any idea where the name Sweet Haven came from? Leo should know...

BTW Miner, I have added your name to the mailing list, and shot a set out to you.

Richard...

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  2:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard here...

Tom Matthews along with a couple others ordered and received a set of plans. Tom intends to build along with us and has indicated that he is going to order strip wood. I mention this because there are several members north of the 49th. parallel involved in this project. So... my question to Tom is "Do you have a favorite Canadian distributer that you order from?. Other modelers might benefit from this source.

I'm really fond of using standard dimensional lumber that can be had from the LHS. Luckily, this dimensional stuff suits O scale's needs quite well. Once in awhile, I'll need some .040" stock or something like that. There are a number of internet suppliers here in the US that enjoy a good reputation. Northeastern <http://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/> comes to mind, I hear they are revamping their abysmal on-line ordering system. Mt. Albert <http://www.mtalbert.com/> has a presence in the community. Wait! They're Canadian! I'm answering my own question here! I use Kappler <http://www.kapplerusa.com/y2k/kp-main.htm> mostly because I started using them during the NG&SL Gazette / Nash / Greenberg days. And lately, I don't have the opportunity to get out, but that's OK as Erik Holt has been really easy to get ahold of. I get these crazy ideas and E-mail him at one am, Sunday night and I get a response back in ten minutes. I don't think Erik ever sleeps!

If anyone has another favorite supplier, please let us know!

I have to knock out the floors and inside panels of the boxcar and will report with photos. I've been a little sidetracked with ordering and reviewing truck options for this build. As soon as I get Dallas' truck offerings, I make a report much like the coupler comparison.

TTIFN

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/14/2011 :  2:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi y'all...

I did not mean to snub our honorable members located in other continents. If you guys have any fav's let us know!

Richard...

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000