Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 220 ]  [ Total: 220 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  10:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some incredible wood and metal working skills on display here.
Nice work Thayer.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive.

Jeff S.

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/09/2014 :  1:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much guys. I am having a lot of fun with this and since I have no layout yet I am in no real hurry to get them done.

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/20/2014 :  04:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've made a little more progress in and amongst the Christmas prep, and while waiting for some detail parts for the boxcars.

For my first switch test I bent the rails by hand which worked well enough, but was a bit lumpy and took a while to get acceptable results. I didn't fancy doing that dance for half a dozen turnouts, let alone a couple circles of track, so set in to make a rail bender with a few skateboard bearings and a dip into my scrap box.

A little shop time later and I now have this nearly completed version at my disposal. I still want to engrave a reference scale along the slider as well as machine and press a handle onto the head of the SHCS. Also, the bearing posts still need to be trimmed to their final length so they sit flush with the back face and then get bonded into the body and slider. My first tests show it working perfectly.

For size reference, the main body is just over 3 inches in diameter. I turned it with my Sherline lathe using a headstock riser and tall tool post.

Maybe I will wrap it up for my son's stocking.

Thayer

Edited by - thayer on 12/20/2014 04:07:54 AM

Marsh_Creek
Section Hand

Posted - 12/21/2014 :  09:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marsh_Creek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thayer,

I'm quite impressed with your machining. At some point in the near future, I'll be working on a new On30 micro, and I'd love to have some smooth working tight radius turnouts. If you're interested in selling, I'd be interested in buying.

Rich

Go Build Something Awesome.

http://www.marshcreekmini.com/

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2014 :  10:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thayer that is great work.

Not meant to offend anyone but could we keep the "New 18'-0" boxcar Build" as one topic and split the turnouts, CNC mill and machining into another topic.

They are both great topics and would be easier to follow and research later if split.

Food for thought.

Tom M.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2014 :  12:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,

I also built a rail-bender. I'll start a topic in the Craftsman section if that's all right with Rick. Rick can move it if it's not in the right place.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/21/2014 :  11:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No offense taken Tom. I am sorry for getting so far off topic. The track work and rail bender are being driven by the requirements of the cars, and is often the case, my efforts are rather organic. Then again, this isn't my thread, so will segment my content more carefully going forward.

Thayer

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2014 :  10:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thayer,

I hope you keep the CNC and other metal work in the ON30 Line. The track work is ON30. I enjoy your work and would rather not have to search for it.

Tom M.

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/23/2014 :  04:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To get back on topic, I got some boxcar goodies in the mail from San Juan today and celebrated by planking another roof while finally watching The Man from Snowy River. But not until after I added molding trim to the columns for the new fireplace mantel that will be revealed Christmas morning. I think 7 years in the house without a mantel is long enough.

This one was just to take a little time out for fun, so no photos. Maybe with the next one.

Edited by - thayer on 12/23/2014 04:10:20 AM

chrisgooverthere
New Hire

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  10:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If ya'll could pardon my ignorance, I have a question about this beautifully built boxcar.

If I'm reading this right, it's modeled in 1:32, but intended to run on On30 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm new to modelling, but I do have some ready-to-run trains in my shed, in G-Gauge. If I wanted to build this boxcar in 1 gauge (standard, 1:32 G-Gauge), the only major difference would be in the size trucks that I put on it . . . right?

Again, sorry for my ignorance . . . please feel free to correct me.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  12:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisgooverthere

If I'm reading this right, it's modeled in 1:32, but intended to run on On30 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Richard built this car in 1:48 scale, On30 for his RR. It can easily be scaled up to G scale from his drawings, but they are in 1/4" = 1'.
You can still get his drawings from some of the folks on this forum but Richard passed away over a year ago.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  1:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I havenít been able to muster much shop time lately, but I have put in just a little more work on my Richard Gardner 18-ft boxcars, framing up the roof walks.

They still need nail holes and some more weathering, not to mention attachment to the roofs, but that all may wait until final assembly.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  4:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is nice Thayer

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000