Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 222 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  11:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think the posts need to be short as well.

On the fixture I had strong feelings that using CNC to cut it was overkill, and I know it took longer in the end than if I had done it another way. I did consider simply cutting slots through the UHMW with my Byrnes table saw but knew that would get fidgety trying to get the proper widths and maintain locations and alignment. At that point I gave in to the siren call from my mill.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  1:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thayer,

I sent you an email about your jig.

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2014 :  10:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is UHW material?

Tom M.

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2014 :  11:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene is a tough, slippery plastic that is reasonably inexpensive and machines easily. It resists abrasion, wear, impact, and most importantly, most adhesives including CA. (sorry, I am an airplane guy and can't get my mind around "ACC") In other words, it is a great product for making tools like this.

Edited by - thayer on 11/15/2014 11:20:22 AM

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  3:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little more progress.

I got busy with my Byrnes saw again and cut up all the stock needed to frame the sides and ends of the box cars. FWIW, I use egg boxes all the time to keep parts organized as I build. Note that the upper and lower segments for the ends are well separated. They look the same but are not the same length, at least in my version of the drawings. The same goes for the diagonal braces for the ends and sides. The end diagonals are slightly shorter. The separation helps prevent mixing, as long as I don't dump the parts on the floor.

And of course I had to mill a new jig. Here is a closeup of parts dry fit in it.

Note that the corner post is 3/32 square and has relief rabbeted in the inner corner to allow for the siding. I didn't like the idea of making perfect butt joints for the sheathing on the sides as they will be rather visible. I also didn't like the way Richard made up that end post from a piece of 1/16 x 3/32 on the sides and a piece of 1/32 x 1/16 on the ends. I didn't want a chance of the seam showing on the ends. Yes, the end sheeting will butt against the corner posts, unless I get really stupid and miter the ends of the planking. (I won't.) If I make cars with external sheathing I will have to do a butt joint there and will use square stock.

I made another modification because I didn't want to show a seam where it probably doesn't belong on the eaves. My interpretation is that the drawings shows two pieces of 1/32 glued together, one notched and the other as a blank piece. with the seam showing underneath as in these first two images. The second shows the same view from above, with the roof structure lifted.

The above configuration also leaves a "Shelf" above the inner sheathing on the ends.

As an alternative, I pulled the end notched framing pieces back 1/32, allowing them to rest on top of the end planking, and will use a piece of solid 1/16 on the end to avoid the exterior seam.

This gives me a solid cap to the framing for the ends, making that structure a bit less delicate as I handle it. You can also see my notch in the corner post for the side sheathing.

Finally, on what appears to be Richard's last drawing of the OF boxcar as well as the section view of the corner on Ad 1.2&1.3, he appears to show a vertical piece of 1/16 sq stock in the corners to support the sheathing. I am a bit surprised that this doesn't show in the exploded view, or any of the photos in the thread that I have seen. Can anyone confirm that is what is going on?

Thayer

Edited by - thayer on 12/09/2014 03:17:27 AM

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  4:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Thayer,

I worked with Richard on this project and in the process we became good friends. I am still working on the dies for the car in On30 and On3.

There is a support piece needed in the corners for the siding. I have done a lot of research for the car and found all of the books on the subject show a support piece in the corner.

Jerry
Diamond Springs and Fiddletown Ry.

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  7:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry, that is exactly the confirmation I was looking for. I expect you had a lot of fun working with him.

Thayer

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  8:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thayer

Thanks Jerry, that is exactly the confirmation I was looking for. I expect you had a lot of fun working with him.

Thayer

Yes we had a lot of fun We each knew stuff the other did not know. Richard was busy learning 3D drawing and I was helping him with design options on the box car and together we were doing a 1:32 Porter design and having Shapeways make some parts before he got too sick to continue.

I tried to insert a picture on the last email but it must have been too large.

Jerry

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  11:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like some great work got done and I expect it helped distract him from the health issues.

On another front, is it possible to search within a thread for something specific? I have decided that I would like to mark at least a couple of my box cars as being borrowed from the Sweet Haven RR and can't find Richard's post about where he got them.

Thayer

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  11:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thayer

On another front, is it possible to search within a thread for something specific? I have decided that I would like to mark at least a couple of my box cars as being borrowed from the Sweet Haven RR and can't find Richard's post about where he got them.

Thayer

Thayer,

I am fairly sure that Richard never actually got any of his cars painted and lettered. All of the drawings I remember both plan drawings and 3D drawings were lettered for his private road. He wrote about getting them printed but I have no idea if the actually got it done.

It would be nice if you found someone to print a few sets for you on a Alps printer to have some cars on your layout. You could take the lettering off of his plans.

Jerry

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/18/2014 :  12:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found the post I was looking for, on page 23 of this thread. Hopefully my email to Stan will be fruitful. The 1887 date for the SWRR is right in line with my plans, so it would be nice to have it work out.

Thayer

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  01:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, good news for anyone else looking for Sweet Haven RR decals to honor Richard's memory and generous work on these cars.

Stan Cedarleaf still has the artwork for Richard's decals as shown here and is happy to provide copies if you want them.

1 set is $28.50. 2 sets $34.50. 3 sets $39.50. The second and third sets need to be printed at the same time and mailed to the same address.

Contact info is on Stan's web site.
http://gold.mylargescale.com/StanCedarleaf/WebPageDecals/CustomDecalsx.html

One last thing. See the numbering error in the lower right corner? Stan has a good file that actually does say 317 instead of 302 under the larger 317's.

Thayer

Edited by - thayer on 12/09/2014 03:19:42 AM

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  02:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, did you or anyone else converf the drawings to hon3? Was going to take a loom at it while in my lunch break at work but cant get to the files on my wprk pc.

Im keen to see this in hon3 but if no one has put in the effort im prepaired to take a look if there is a bit of interest

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  09:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Bernd, did you or anyone else converf the drawings to hon3? Was going to take a loom at it while in my lunch break at work but cant get to the files on my wprk pc.

Im keen to see this in hon3 but if no one has put in the effort im prepaired to take a look if there is a bit of interest

Adrian,

No I haven't. To be honest I completely forgot I posted in this thread.

Have three projects going at the moment so really don't have the time to add another. Sorry about that.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Edited by - Bernd on 11/20/2014 09:08:21 AM

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  7:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats alright im in a similar position. But its one im adding to the list. If i get drawings done ill send you a copy and share them here.
Also working on a 18' steel box car in hon3 at the moment but ill talk more about that in the hon3 forum.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000