Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 229 ]  [ Total: 231 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  07:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Al files I received from Richar are published on my Wordpress blog...http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/a-tribute-to-richard-gardner/

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  09:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Al files I received from Richar are published on my Wordpress blog...http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/a-tribute-to-richard-gardner/

Thank you Martin.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  09:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Rick, Richard deserves it !

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  12:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Martin.

Looking forward to build some HOn3 cars from those plans.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

fwms
Section Hand

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  10:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I would like to join in with my thank you! I started reading this thread and could not leave until I finished. I was so sorry to read of his passing and know he will be missed. He did wonderful work and was willing to pass his knowledge on to us.

I personally will think of him and this thread as I build from these plans. and again thank you Martin.

Fred

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old - they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams" Gabriel Garcia Marques

sandorsdad
New Hire

Posted - 11/09/2014 :  05:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Martin

I look forward to building the boxcars.

Paul

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  7:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple of quick progress snaps.

This first one shows the assembly fixture that I made for the underbody framework and the first part out of it.

Since I had redrawn the framework in CAD as part of my "study the drawings" protocol, it was easy to export that drawing as a DXF and then pass that through D2NC to generate the g-code that Mach3 needs to drive my table top CNC mill.

I gave the cutting path a quick look on screen and then cut pockets in a block of UHMW plastic to a depth of .175 inches. This is a little deeper than the 5/32 dimension (.156) so that I could also locate the bolster and needle beams. This fixture worked out really well and you can see the results of the first four parts here.

The slots are pretty snug on the frame pieces and I didn't fancy trying to dig the finished pieces out with an x-acto, dental pick, or screwdriver, so I bored three holes along the center and matched them with more holes in a piece of oak. The oak holds three 1-inch pieces of 1/4-inch brass rod as ejector pins.

No question this fixture counts as overkill for making one or two cars, but recall that I have plans for 10 cars right now, and may do more in the future. I think this is a very nice size for small rolling stock, and the basic frame can serve well for a variety of other types including flats, simple gondolas, work cars, cabeese, etc.

Thayer

Edited by - thayer on 12/09/2014 03:20:14 AM

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  8:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thayer, Fantastic use of cnc to aid your scratch building. I'm sure this is something me may see more of in the future in some commercial kits as jigs.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  10:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thayer
Since I had redrawn the framework in CAD as part of my "study the drawings" protocol, it was easy to export that drawing as a DXF and then pass that through D2NC to generate the g-code that Mach3 needs to drive my table top CNC mill.

Thayer

Thayer,

What kind of table top CNC mill do you have?

Bernd

WWG1WGA

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  11:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the A2Z CNC Monster Mill and have the Sherline 10k spindle installed as I do a fair amount of woodwork with it.

http://tinyurl.com/kr2ybdg

I got my Sherline lathe several years before I got the A2Z mill. I was holding off on a Sherline mill as I wanted a larger working envelope. One genuine asset of the Monster Mill for me is that I am a but clumsy at times and I frankly love that I can end a program with G0 Z6 or Z8 to give my hands 6-8 inches of working room between the part and the sharp tool. Even when stopped they can do some damage if you are not paying attention. To give you some idea of the size, the lead image on the A2Z web site shows an entire Sherline Z-axis sitting under the spindle of the Monster Mill.

A2Z owner Tim Goldstein has been very good to work with on this project and helped me a lot with deciding what I needed and, once I had it, getting it all set up properly and running smoothly. I use it all the time and have milled all sorts of material from balsa to stainless steel. Most of my work is done with hardwood, aluminum or brass. The stainless parts, incidentally, were side rods for a friend's gauge 1 live steam locomotive.

Thayer

Edited by - thayer on 12/13/2016 11:14:33 AM

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  04:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hardware...

I am starting to count up what I need to detail the cars and can't find mention of what Richard used for the queen posts. Any ideas for suitable pieces? I haven't scaled anything off the drawings, but just glancing at them they look like they might be around 3 or 4 inches tall.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  08:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thayer

I have the A2Z CNC Monster Mill and have the Sherline 10k spindle installed as I do a fair amount of woodwork with it.

Thayer

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

That is some mill. And I know about end mills biting you. Worked in a machine shop for over 30 years.

Ok, thanks again. Don't want hijack the thread with machine tool talk.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

lenelg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  09:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit lenelg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A more low-tech approach: Back in the early 80īs, when I started out in On30, I built several jigs by gluing stripwood to a firm base of particle board. Yes, for wood frames I should have built the jig from styrene, but strips of a useful size were not available. So, to prevent sticking the assembled frame to the jig I made sure there were gaps and recesses at all gluing points. Also, as a weekend sailor, I had a supply of teflon-based anti-fouling paint, which I sprayed all over the jig (this worked by preventing barnacles to stick to my boat, instead of poisoning them).
/Lennart Elg, Sweden

Lennart Elg - the Sloat Lumber Man

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  10:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thayer,
My guess is Richard used MacLeod Western queentposts. He used a lot of MW parts and he also worked with Jerry at Foothill Model Works.
You can find the QP's here http://www.foothillmodelworks.com/MLWestern.html

I use Grandt Line 3" QPs and they also work fine.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  10:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used 3" QP on mine. 6" looked to big (long).

Tom M.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000