Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Mostro
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  11:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OhioMike

Unfortunately, Your not getting these from 4share unless you pay for them...Any other options.

This is incorrect. I chose that site because it allows free downloads. I do agree it would be preferable to not require registration.

Derick

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry

Railtwister
Section Hand

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  11:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mostro

This is incorrect. I chose that site because it allows free downloads. I do agree it would be preferable to not require registration.

Hi Derrick,

I was only able to download the thumbnails, to download the full PDF's, they wanted me to subscribe for $9.95/month. Pretty steep for "free".

But thanks anyway for trying to make them available, even if the site did turn out to be a rip-off.

Bill in FtL

Edited by - Railtwister on 03/05/2013 11:47:37 AM

Mostro
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  12:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just registered freely and downloaded one of the files, it's a question of selecting "free," rather than "premium" download. But it's cumbersome!

Here are some easier to access links, no registration required:

http://wikisend.com/download/961920/Addendum-1.2.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/252516/Addendum-1.3.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/485966/Addendum-2.1.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/390642/Addendum-3.1.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/894780/Addendum-4.1.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/302090/Addendum-5.0.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/473058/Addendum-6.0.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/584978/Addendum-7.0.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/120980/SHRR_BoxcarRevised.pdf
http://wikisend.com/download/544570/SHRR_O.F.BoxcarRevised.pdf

Derick

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry

Edited by - Mostro on 03/05/2013 12:21:09 PM

Terry823
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  12:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That worked really well for me.

Terry S
Reynoldsville, PA

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  01:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently came across this thread and am fascinated. Richard's work is meticulous and beautifully executed.

Unfortunately the above links now only seem to return garbage for me.

Is a complete set of the plans still available? I would love to see them and happen to have a few extra sets of trucks that are looking for homes.

Thayer

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  06:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thayer - Richard passed away a while back.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thayer

I recently came across this thread and am fascinated. Richard's work is meticulous and beautifully executed.

Unfortunately the above links now only seem to return garbage for me.

Is a complete set of the plans still available? I would love to see them and happen to have a few extra sets of trucks that are looking for homes.

Thayer

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward the plans to you.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  09:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do have the full set of plans, maybe I can put them somewhere on my blog as a tribute to Richard..

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  12:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward the plans to you.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the offer. I think I am all set now, depending on how many files there are. Terry has forwarded 11 documents to me, as listed below. If there are others, I would like to see them.

It was definitely sad to come across news of his passing as I read through this thread. His cars are quite attractive and I feel that keeping the design available to others is a fitting tribute to his memory.

Thayer

Gardner_boxcar.doc
SHRR_BoxcarRevised.pdf
SHRR_O.F.BoxcarRevised.pdf
Addendum-1.2.pdf
Addendum-1.3.pdf
Addendum-2.1.pdf
Addendum-3.1.pdf
Addendum-4.1.pdf
Addendum-5.0.pdf
Addendum-6.0.pdf
Addendum-7.0.pdf

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/05/2014 :  7:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard was a great mentor to me with building the 18" cars. I have build 4 of the box cars. He will certainly be missed.

Tom M.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  8:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had a few requests to forward the plans but I'm having problems with my email account.
I'm sorry for the delay.

Martin, have you had a chance to post them on your blog?

fwms
Section Hand

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  10:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a new member my first post is not to introduce myself but to ask if those wonderful box car plans Richard kindly provided are still available?

So as one member said, "with hat in hand" I would be most appreciative if someone could send me a copy of these plans.

Thanking you in advance, Fred

Fred

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old - they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams" Gabriel Garcia Marques

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  11:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gonna work on that this weekend Rick, post the link asap..

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2014 :  12:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Martin.

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2014 :  03:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, apparently the bug has bit me.

I looked over Richard's drawings on Thursday, along with another pass through the thread, and decided that his outside frame boxcar was the one for me. The basic wood work didnít look too challenging so I headed off to the saw mill where I cut all the pieces for the underbody and gave them a quick AI bath. And by cut, I mean I mounted up a fresh blade in my Byrnes table saw and milled the stripwood from a couple pieces of clear 1x4 poplar that I had kicking around the shop. That saw is indispensable.

After admiring those first pieces laying next to each other this afternoon, I decided to use my lack of scribed siding as an excuse to plank the cars up a board at a time. Hitting the mill again tonight, I ripped up 120 pieces of 1/32 x 1/8 x 16. Add in a few shorter pieces that didn't make the count and that is 1-1/2 miles of O scale 2x6 lumber!

Youíve probably figured by now that I am not planning to build just one or two cars. While pondering the photos and drawings, I also realized I could skip the box and using the underbody and deck as a generic flat car to carry some of that lumber. Or modify the box a bit and turn it into a work car or caboose. And come to think of it, having one or two of the standard boxcars with the door open to show off the internal sheeting would be cool as well.

So letís see Ö, thatís 2 outside and 2 standard boxcars, 2 flats, a caboose and work car or two, yikes, slow down!

The first nightís yield was underbody bits for 10 cars. I am just getting back in to model railroading and other than a couple of BVM kits, I donít have much On30 rolling stock yet, so thatís how this little adventure seems like a good idea. There are also some spare BVM trucks in the shop and my LHS stocks Kadee couplers, so now I just need to source some of the detail bits. I expect to model a freelance NG short line, so only care that the stock looks good to me. It is supposed to be fun, right?

I note that the drawings shows a 12-inch track radius. Can anyone confirm this as a limitation? I have sketched up a 24x36 mini layout with much tighter track so my son (11yo) and I can get some scenery practice and have more operational options than just a circle. I am hoping that they will run on that, but if they don't we will have rolling stock for the larger layout to come soon thereafter. Or we could just scale up the mini a bit to get to that radius. I guess I need to mock up a couple cars to test.

There will be photos once I have something more interesting to show than piles of lumber.

Wherever you are Richard, thanks for the encouragement.

Thayer

Edited by - thayer on 11/08/2014 04:01:00 AM

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000