Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 139 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  4:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Richard,

I would also like to thank you for the plans. They are some of the best I have seen. I will be watching this topic closely.

Now if I can just find the Grandt Line detail parts I bought last year!!!!!

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your cars are really beautiful, Richard. I love the bottom view at the end of page 2.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  3:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments Mr. Testard...

Note to all:

My original intention for this build was to provide the kind of detail not possible from a magazine article and I want to hold true to that thought. Most articles show a nice plan, perhaps a couple of in progress shots and a shot or two of the final product. It reminds me of the cartoonist, Kliban who published "The Cat Book" which started an entire genre of joke books. On one page, he had a drawing titled "how to draw a cat". In the first panel, he drew three circles stacked on top of each other, big one on the bottom, medium in the middle and the smallest one on the top. Then he said, just flip it around and voila! you have a cat. We don't want to do that here.

As I'm working on the side pieces, I'm whipping out templates from the drawings to assist in the cutting etc. I realize that you guys don't have access to this kind of information.

Sooo... Last night I decided to rectify the situation. I'm issuing addendum sheets to supplement the first set of drawings...

They will look something like this...

And this...

The above drawings are just jpegs, not scalable. I've already sent PDFs of these up-dates to all that requested the original drawings. I'm not sure I have everybody, I kinda started collecting addresses a little late. If you requested and received plans but didn't get the up-date, just drop me a line at: rlgardner@cox.net and I'll make sure you get on the list. For those who would like to get into the program, it's never too late. Drop me a line...

I will be issuing addendum sheets as they are needed.

Now, back to building boxcars...

Richard

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Richard! You da man!!!!!
I'll be looking forward to these, I just put in a big
stripwood order....Thanks in advance!

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  3:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got the message, thanks Richard !!

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  11:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys...

Still working on the sides and ends of the cars and having trouble visualizing how some of the pieces went together. I figured if I was having problems, y'all might also. So I bit the bullet and created a 3D drawing of the boxcar framework. There's a lot of information here if you study it closely. As it was, I discovered an error in an earlier drawing, see the note. I will tackle the outside frame boxcar tomorrow. Addendum-3 will go out to the present subscribers as soon as I finish this.

Below is a jpeg of the pdf.

Gotta go, there's these boxcars I have to build.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  01:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys...

Turns out there are not that many differences between the two cars. Just the deck and sheathing. I really only understood this after I did the 3D drawing.

jpeg of addendum-4 below...

Gotta go, Cousin Fred and his friends will be here bright and early in the morning, wondering why I haven't made more progress on the boxcars...

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  05:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
at the rate you are churning out drawings anyone would think you could make kits for a living :)

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  09:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard those are some more great drawings.
I sent you an E-mail for the addendems.

Mark

W,L,&E

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  09:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning gents and gals...

Andykins... I'm sure you've heard, The best way to make a small fortune in the kit business, is to start out with a large forture! Been there, done that.

Geezer... Don't know how you didn't make it to the "big list" as many times as we have talked, but that has been rectified. Lemme tell ya... Cousin Fred was NOT HAPPY!

Wesley, Mark and Mr. Faist have been added as well.

OK... time to play good news / bad news... first the good. As anticipated, the 3D drawings helped me to understand how everything fit together. Now the bad... I discovered an error in the end framing that might affect all drawings issued so far. Now matter how pretty a drawing is, it's kinda useless if it's not right. After I sort everything out, I'll re-issue to the group list. Then I'll try and figure out how to deal with the earlier posts so a newcomer doesn't get confused...

Apologies for the hiccup. Better to catch that sort of thing now, before I wind up building a part twice... what's that old saw about cutting and measuring?

Perhaps I can talk Cousin Fred into going to the boxcar construction site and telling them I won't be in 'till later today!

Richard

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  10:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand it....I cut it off 3 times, and it's still too short!!!"
Fred says thanks Richard!!! ;-)

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  12:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are ever in 'Nawlins Richard can be lured over to Cafe Dumonde for coffee and tasty treats.

Bill Uffelman
Back in Las Vegas for a couple of weeks

Old Fogy
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  1:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, you are truly a Master Craftsman. Thank you for sharing your work with us. You are generous, indeed.

I sent an email requesting your plans. Your kindness is truly appreciated.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  2:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bil, good to see you show up on the list!

The Honorable Mr. Uffelman gets to (has to?) travel a lot and has probably visited more than a few of us over the years. He and his lovely wife treated yours truly to a plate of beignets and a café au lait one fine morning. If you ever get to N'awlins, Cafe Du Monde in the 'Quarter is a must stop. This is the place Fred and his cronies stop for take out before heading over to my place to supervise.

Richard...

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  2:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the plans Richard. Much appreciated.

I look forward to seeing more progress pics from you.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000