Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 230 ]  [ Total: 230 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the car looks great jerry even though you've pointed out all the things you think are wrong, to me it looks pleasing to the eye and nothing really sticks out like a sore thumb, nice job :)

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:47:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Jerry and thanks for the photos, very helpful.

Ron Knepp
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  11:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Happy New Years Everyone

With then renewed interest in the thread I got the camera out and took some photos of my 3/4 inch versions of the boxcar. I the first photo I have the 3 laid out in my shop.

In the second and third I have 1 boxcar displayed on a building board. The board is necessary to protect the underbody detail.In front I have a 1 foot ruler to show size.

Ron Knepp

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  1:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice bodies, Ron.
And while I answered on the photo size aspect of Jerry's post, I forgot to mention how fine I found the car.

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  2:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another try at a larger photo.

OK I went to the 800 pixels across and reduced the file size by saving in a medium format. I use PhotoShop and have no problem with huge pictures, its getting them into this group seems to have been my problem. Now to get the break rigging done so I can squirt some paint at the car and stop fighting the white on white stuff.

It was interesting to see the large scale box cars and wonder what I could do in that scale? Actually nothing for me. I would enjoy the building very much, but fencing in our yard to keep the turkeys and deer out is an expensive proposition. We don't live in town and we have all sorts of critters roam through the yard. The turkeys are most destructive. What the turkeys don't dig up the deer eat.

Jerry
Diamond Springs and Fiddletown Ry.

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  12:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have gotten more done today, but two naps, some football, and a lot of nose blowing took up the afternoon, still some paint was flung.

At long last you can see the horizontal boards I milled into the sheet styrene and some other details that did not show up when the car was just white styrene. The lower resolution photos seem a little off on my screen.

I use True-Color paint which is a solvent based paint. It was completely dry in an hour. I I am modeling pre-1900 and there are a lot of ochre painted cars still on the line, I will weather the car so that the ocher cars look older than the cars painted oxide red.

This was my inspiration for the ocher paint job. It too looks off on the color. Don't know what is happening this evening.

Jerry
Diamond Springs and Fiddletown Ry.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  9:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron and Jerry, excellent craftsmanship!
Thanks for the pictures.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  9:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing how the detail stands out on the builds the grabs are so file.
Ron and Jerry I am impressed.
Larry

azflyer2001
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  5:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of great information here. Thanks.

Travis in Tempe

Travis Handschug
Gilbert, Arizona

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What ever happened to Richard.....the thread just sorta faded out.....
I hope he is alright.....

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  2:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

What ever happened to Richard.....the thread just sorta faded out.....
I hope he is alright.....

You're right Geezer, I really enjoyed this thread.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  7:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Mark Twain once said: "Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated".

I'm still kicking around. Thanks for the concern from all. while 'tis true that I've become the ultimate slacker on this thread, I have been somewhat busy in other areas of model railroading but mostly I've been busy trying to resurrect what could be the remainder of my working career. Go to:

http://RichardLGardner.com

To see what I've been up to there.

I've not felt a pressing need to close out the thread as several of you have shown that there is already enough information here to complete your projects. Case in point, I understand that Jerry Kitts took his completed cars to the O Scale West convention and exhibited them as pilot models for future kits to be released. As you may recall, this was his intention from the start. Turns out that they were the most well received products he'd ever presented and garnered more pre-orders than ever. Makes me proud! Can't wait for the kits to come out as I'll be the first to order!

Don't count me out just yet. I still get a request now and then for the drawings and do send them out. If anyone has a question or just a comment (kinda like the above "are you still around"?) I'll be here to respond.

In the meantime, keep up the good work!

Richard L. Gardner
rlgardner@cox.net

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  7:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear from you, Richard.

Jeff S.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  04:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, glad to hear from you richard, i still have your drawings printed and filed away waiting till i have more time to scratch build stuff.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Richard. Glad to see you are about.

This is a great thread. Your drawings and coaching kept me busy last winter. I have three box cars and two work cars mostly completed. Some details need to be added.

I enjoyed the pictures and input from Jerry Kitts, Ron Knepp and many others.

Perhaps this fall "we all" can build a different style car, sharing our thoughts and ideas.

Tom M.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000