Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 227 ]  [ Total: 228 ]  [ Newest Member: SceneryTime ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coming up Tom, get a few cartridges this week. Jerry did nothing special just a trick they told me once to print on tissue paper. Just print the first time on regular print/copy paper so you can allign the veneer. Just tape it with masking tape to the paper and run it again. Makes me wonder if you can do some touch ups with the car color around the lettering ?

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morganhillmodels

[quote]
Bill,
Not sure what you mean, you did seem a bit annoyed, not sure why. Quite a few of us cut our teeth on On3 where just about every kit, loco and detail part was almost exact prototype. I suppose more than a few of us continue to want [create] products to make our On30 models as close to prototypical in appearance i.e. having the brake shoes correctly positioned behind the wheels. I believe when Richard started this thread he was outlining his techniques for fine scale model building in On30. This subject has drawn the interest of fine scale modelers such as Jim and Jerry and others to follow along and share their thoughts.

Jon,

I think his annoyance was with the snide remark that Jerry made that on30 modelers aren't too attentive to detail, and I have to agree with Geezer- that in itself isn't accurate, there are all kinds of on30 modelers in here, and some, like Ed Traxx pay very careful attention to prototypical details, and there are other modelers, like me, who are in the gray area- paying attention to some details, but completely ignoring other prototypical details.

In short, as with the other flare up over re-naming this forum, I guess the general sentiment is that on30 modelers don't particularly enjoy being categorized, and that's part of the appeal here. There isn't a standard around here that people are held by or accountable to, except to have fun, be nice, and don't be judgmental.

Regards,

Arthur

Arthur

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too am interested by the printing technique, Martin. The result is really excellent and exciting.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I had missed the last current page and your answer, Martin. Thanks.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Frederic, forgot to mention you need to set the printer settings on the heavier kinda photo paper when veneer is used. Same technique can be used to print signs on thin or tissue paper.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Martin.
How thick is that veneer and what kind is it?

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  6:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,

What is the make and model of your printer or one you might suggest for this kind of work. I have to spend $200.00 + on print cartridges, I might just consider a new printer.

Tom M.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rick

Nice work Martin.
How thick is that veneer and what kind is it?

It's veneer used for sides, in this case I used limba cause it's already grained, come on rolls and are 0.4 / 0.5mm thick, would be a scale inch

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  7:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

Martin,

What is the make and model of your printer or one you might suggest for this kind of work. I have to spend $200.00 + on print cartridges, I might just consider a new printer.

Using a HP photosmart B109-n, model's no longer availabel. Chose it because it has wifi and seperate cardridges and XL versions. Payed around 99 euro's for it for the normal cardridges 9,95 and the XL 17,50.
Started with Epson, but I like HP more, the never fail on me (printing wise not on the windows sh**ware).
But I think any photo printer will work because they handle thicker paper.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  03:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whilst putting together stuff for my next post which will include some painting finally, plus some new detail parts that I find of interest. First is those elusive BackShop 18" grab iron castings that I've been searching for. Keith Wiseman [sp?] finally responded to my whining about his tardiness in getting them out. I don't think they are on his site yet. I'll have some pictures and prices when I download the camera. The thickness of the grab is .020" which is the same as the Tichy pre-formed wire grabs. Not quite scale but certainly better than the grabs on B'mann's stuff.

The other detail part that caught my attention is extended knuckle parts for Kadee and McHenry couplers...

I found this on FMW's home page. I went there to check on McLW's detail parts (between them and Kappler, it's a wonder I have rent money) and there was this long description about this detail that will help alleviate the common problem of mismatched coupler heights. Jerry snuck this one in on me. The picture above is just a teaser. or trailer as I've been known to say... Yeah yeah Tom, we're still talking about couplers :-)

The patterns were made by Dave Squire who is apparently a well known pattern maker with a resume that includes work for Precision Scale and the BackShop. Who knew?

Somebody always asks the question of where I go to get this stuff...

Wiseman's web site is: <http://www.locopainter.com/>

and FMW's is: <http://www.foothillmodelworks.com/>

One more thing... y'all are giving Tom way too much help, you're going to spoil him :-)

Richard...

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a little work done before leaving for the holidays.

I plan on getting some more work done today. Adding grab irons and door details. Perhaps before the weekend is out, I will get a coat of paint on the car and stop fighting photographing a mostly white car.

Jerry
Diamond Springs and Fiddletown Ry.

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  02:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hung in there blowing my nose and adding details to the car.

Not too bad for a sickly old poop. It looks decent in a train and has the feel I was looking for. I will give it a color coat and see if we still have the feel or not. My roof pitch is maybe 2 or 3 degrees too steep, the side braces are 4 x 4 and they should be 3 x 4. I should have used .060 x .080 stock instead of .080 x .080. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I had the car coupled between two equally white box cars, one was 28 feet long and they other 24 feet long and the 20 foot car did not look goofy.

I still have to do the underbody brake rigging, I should get to that before splashing some paint about.

Jerry

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  02:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps someone can help me.

I posted the second set of photos today, and they came out smaller than the first post.

The first post the photos are 10 inches wide and 45 dpi and the second post the photos are 12 inches wide and 35 dpi and they came out smaller. Richard post the coupler photo and it fills my whole screen. How is that done?

When I get some color and lettering on the box car I would like it to be bigger on the screen.

Jerry

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  05:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerrry, it's because 12" x 35 dots per inch = 420 dots = 420 pixels, while 10" x 45 dpi = 450 pixels, which is wider.
You can easily go to 800 pixels wide images. What software do you use to process the images?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking car Jerry.
I would never have noticed the issued you mentioned and still don't see a problem after reading them.

Frederic's got it right.
Use pixels as a measurement and go 800 on the longest side.
When you go to save the picture, not sure what software you're using, but it will probably ask you what resolution to save it at.
Save at a medium resolution.
This will reduce the file size so that you can post a larger picture.
Any questions or problems please ask.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000