Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 228 ]  [ Total: 230 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  12:01:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Second Dave in using GIMP, free and easy to use. I'm used to photoshop and illustrator but can imagine it's not that easy and user friendly..Can help you out if you want to Tom, if you could send me a scan of a colored wall..

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  12:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,

Message sent with my email address. Please reply and I will send the attachments.

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  12:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a sample of the siding ..

Tom M.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  2:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Already fooled a bit around in photoshop..mail send Tom

just have to adjust a line and insert a bit of peeling weathered paint into the lettering..

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  2:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin,

I am impressed. Looking forward to next copy.

Tom M.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  3:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's one thing i like to know Tom, would they use just one single board or two for the roadname. And what size would the be ?
like to play a bit and add the board ends on the left also on the right..

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  4:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom:

I find in freelancing a railroad that it helps a great deal if you pick lettering that is used by prototype railroads. Also like the build we are following is to use a car that looks like a prototype that you have seen before. The point is when someone looks at your work, they might in the their mind think that they have seen a picture of that car before. If they say it out loud were other guests can hear it so much the better, you have pulled off a great freelance model, or as I like to say Proto-Freelance.

Here is an example using the outside framed box car.

My thought here is if you can print in color. You could print on label paper which has a sticky back and past it to the board on the side of the car. You could play around with back ground color until you get a close enough match. The board might have been repainted and look a bit cleaner than the car siding for example.

Label paper that fits your type of printer would be a lot cheaper than dry transfer lettering. Some times as they say you have to think outside of the box.

I put some different color samples on the drawing as just a small sample of what can be done.

Jerry
Diamond Springs and Fiddletown Ry.

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  4:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys,

I had to move the box car file so many times to make it into a jpg file to down load here that the color suffered a lot. The yellow color should have come out the same as my logo under my name in the left hand column.

If anyone wants a copy that is much larger and has true colors just let me know and I will send a pdf file that opens in Acrobat.

Jerry

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jerry, what did proto railroads use for fonds ??

Jerry Kitts
New Hire

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  5:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prototype railroads were given some guide lines for lettering. Even a style of lettering which I can copy later this evening for you. Most railroads only followed the guide lines for lettering size for different sets of lettering. Reporting marks off the top of my head were to be 6 inches high and some items like car built date and weight were only 3 to 4 inches high.

I will make a copy of the ruling and post this evening, it is a good guide for making your own lettering, especially if you get into all the required lettering on cars.

Making the different railroad fonts like the Rio Grande used is a very time consuming job and needs a program to do this work. We got very involved with it when we were making decals.

Jerry

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  7:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry,

What font did you use for your example lettering?

Jeff S.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  7:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boards on my box car are 6" high.
6 x 2 = 12" Letters and numbers about 9" - 10" high will work for me. A font of RR roman or something similar is fine by me.

Tom M.

morganhillmodels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  7:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit morganhillmodels's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another thought, may be to print the photoshop board like martin did on white decal paper. It would be thinner than paper or a sticky label.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  9:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pff finaly found the RR roman stuff

Now I just have to scale it to the boxcar drawings.
Do think the board ends, bit battered aren't that visible. But could give it a try. Suggest if it's wanted on 2 boards just print it on cardstock, paint the back and sides, score the line between the boards and weather it a bit with A/I

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  9:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So now I catch some sleep first...3.31 AM over here..

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000