Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  3:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, those are some very fine drawings and a lot of great research info too.
Nice looking builds.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  4:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, thanks the plan drawings arrived nicely. I'll have to make an effort to make some boxcars real soon.

I liked the comparison photos, really gets you thinking about different couplers.

Mark

W,L,&E

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  4:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice looking builds Richard. And thanks for the plans...

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  4:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have sent a email, thanks for showing us those coupleings, as i said in my email, got me thinking

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  10:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking cars. I have been installing the SJC Evolution couplers on my On3 rolling stock, most of the time I have been either using the Kadee boxes or I scratch built my own, however I have modified the coupler to fit Kadee #5 box. Here is a link to a post I did on modifying the coupler to fit a #26 box, which is the same as a #5 box without the ears. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27229&whichpage=4

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  12:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi coaltrain...

Sanctuary much...

Most impressive work on the Mogul. Thanks for the heads-up on the Kadee coupler box conversion. This solves an issue I have with locos that have limited room for a coupler mount. The San Juans look great on your equipment.

Richard...

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  06:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
found your email this morning, many thanks richard! the drawings look great!

Dustymalaymann
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  08:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Dustymalaymann a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, Many thanks for the drawings they are excellent
Keith Miller

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  08:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tks Richard....Fred says "Thanks" as well......lol!

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  10:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard if you could send me the drawings as well, it would be really appreciated.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  10:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also forgot to add that you photos showing your build are great. I really appreciate seeing the comparison of the couplers.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  10:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The management of the Torres & Prietas RR would like to place an order for a couple of your boxcars! Really nice work,even under close scrutiny.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  11:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chuck, I'm not sure where to send the plans... If you would be so kind as to E-mail a request to: rlgardner@cox.net I'll shoot some out to you.

And to the management of the Torres & Prietas Railroad Company, what a nice compliment. Unfortunately, at my present rate of construction, I don't anticipate extras anytime soon. That may change as I settle in the program here...

It's going to be a busy Friday around these parts, but I might get an update out tonight or in the morning... still working on the sides and ends...

Regards, Richard...

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  12:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard,

Again thanks for the plans, wanted to ask if you had a list of detail parts you used? I saw some notes on the desk and was almost able to read a couple of them. A list would be great.

thanks
John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  2:57:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John...

Good question. I try to keep the number of detail parts to a minimum, mostly in keeping with the railroads budget, not to mention, mine.

1) grab irons. Backshop used to make these really great cast brass grabs with the n.b.w. cast on. I liked them as you only had to drill two holes per grab. You can see them on the really old boxcar (20 years?) that shows up in the coupler photos as well as the photo below. It's kinda beat up but the grabs still look good. Kieth Wiseman has acquired the line and promises to have them available "in the next couple of weeks". That was several weeks ago. Don't have a part number for them yet. As a back-up, I have some Tichy 18" straight grabs in .002" phosphor bronze wire (# 2002 / 50 @ $.95) that I can use with MacLeod Western grab iron NBW (#N-46 / bunches @ #3.00) These look really good too, just have to drill 4 holes. 16 grabs req'd per car.

2) corner steps. Grandt (#90 / 20 @ #3.00) 4 req'd per car.

3) roof walk supports. McLeod Western 21" catwalk ribs (#R-43 / 48 @ #3.00) 8 req'd per car.

4) trucks and couplers, your choice. I'm using the Kadee / NWSL combo for the trucks as listed on the plans. They have a .350" bolster height off the top of the rail. This was used to determine bolster thickness and coupler mount. If you use a higher or lower truck, you'll have to adjust accordingly. The mounting surface for the different couplers discussed are about the same, or close enough.

5) brake gear. The Sweet Haven RR does not use air brakes but usually just stick their foot out. Seriously, though, the brake levers and rods can be cobbled up from Grandt parts depending on the complexity you desire. I'm having some levers and clevises custom etched in brass and will discuss that at a later date, I haven't received them yet so do not know if my grand plans will work yet.

6) brake staff. There are a couple from Grandt you can use, your choice mostly. I'm going for the #129 C&S/RGS hand brake fittings combo, it seems to have all the parts I need whether it be a box, flat, caboose or passenger car. 1 @ $3.00. 1 req'd per car.

7) door hardware. Make it as complicated as you want. I'm scratch-building the upper and lower runners and using latches from Grandt. Don't have a p.n. off hand.

8) miscellaneous stuff. You can add as many n.b.w.'s as you like. I'll show a couple of photos of that ancient boxcar in it's prime to see how much I'm going to include. The larger truss rod end n.b.w.'s I'm having etched. Will let you know if that works too. The cut levers are brass wire and Detail Associates #2222 eye bolts. 20 @ $4.25? I think they're hard to find now days, I picked some up on E-bay. There are some grabs on the roof corners, I'll use a couple of the Backshop grabs or Tichy's corner grabs #2003, 25 @ $4.95. Use the McLW n.b.w.'s with them. Just use one on the opposite corners, that would be 2 req'd per car...

I thinks that about sums it up...

These photos are of a car I built a zillion years ago before I lost my way and was seduced by the evil Bachmann. I'm so much happier now that I've returned to my roots. OK, OK, I like the Porter, OK?

That's it for now, I have a boxcar or two to build...

Richard...

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000