Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 228 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  6:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard,

I'm with ya .... I'll finish the wood work as far as I can go while I wait for some parts to arrive. Then I will start a second box car. I am still planning to build 4.

Tom M.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  05:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Richard

ive been slowly adding plastic parts to a shopping list for this car (i plan to make a couple) i can pretty much get all the sizes as listed on the drawings, but i shall be making a couple changes here and there as i go.(to suit other cars, so they call have the same kind of home shop made look) i also have a gradtline set of boxcar hardware to hand whitch i'll try to use where i can.
and thank you for the details on the doors.

Ron Knepp
New Hire

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  6:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi my name is Ron Knepp and I live in Eastern Pennsylvania and want to thank Richard
for the project. I have been lurking a long time but this is my first post. Scratchbuilding and all of model railroading seems to be dying out.

I have been modeling in 3/4 inch scale to augment my collection of Franklin Mint and other cars and trucks. I use some parts and castings from both 1/20 and 7/8th scales.
I have started three boxcar frames and have been modifing trucks for them.

The trucks are Deton frames and AMS wheels. Even though the truck frames are 1/2 inch sale they are still slightly a little long. The wheels scale ou at 20 inches in 3/4 inch scale. I have an old Sears 8 inch table saw and use a hollow ground blade to cut the strip wood.

The figures are farm figures from the Foxfire Collection.

Ron Knepp

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  7:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron... you've entered the gold star club.

Awesome start! Can't wait to follow your progress.

Are you using G gauge? And if so, what does that scale out to be?

I see you have an old 8" Craftsman table saw. The late Russ Simpson was the first to alert me to this prize find. He used his to produce all of his strip wood for his kits. I finally found one a couple of years ago but have not restored it yet. Russ replaced the worn out sintered bronze bearings to improve blade accuracy. Depending on how much it was used in it's former life, I'm hoping to not have to do that.

Sharp eyes will notice that you've accomplished some fancy mortise work on the frame members. Looks good in that scale. I also see you have your own fan club to keep an eye on your progress...

Keep up the good work!

Richard...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  3:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally made my MacLeod Western order for the door details.

I will finish box car #1 as far as I am can until the details arrive. In the mean time I will move onto box car #2.

Tom M.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  4:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, welcome to the forums.
Excellent first post.
Hope you'll treat us with more progress pictures in the future.

Ron Knepp
New Hire

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  08:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for the kind comments!! I plan on using G Gauge - 1 3/4 inches which gives me prototype
gauge of 28 inches. I really like modeling something that could have been.This is close enough to 30 inches for me. One of the problems I had was trying to be too exact to pure scale and got little done since there is all was questions about the other side of something. Another problem is very common. There is always a new project and maybe with someone looking over my shoulder I will finish these.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  10:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
I just want to thank Richard again, for the time and effort he has put into posting this build and Sharing all his information and drawings at "NO COST" to us. Knowing from own experience how time consuming it is to post a build and knowing he is not a professional writer, It has been and excellent tutorial. Sourcing parts is the fun part of scratch building and different countries have different sources. Freelancing allows one to modify something to ones own likings.
Mike M

Ron Knepp
New Hire

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  1:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi All,

It is time for an update on my three boxcars.
I have added the truss rods and some of the planking. The truss rods are aluminum that has been blackened. The black is not very stable but the aluminum is roughened up enough to give something for the paint to hold on to.

The planking is Western Cedar that I cut to shiplap shape. They are close to 2x6 inches in the 3/4 inch scale.

More updates to come.
Ron Knepp

Ron Knepp
New Hire

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  1:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try again.

Edited by - Ron Knepp on 11/03/2011 1:26:50 PM

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  1:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron...

Absolutely stunning! I love the special joinery on the decking and needle beams. It looks like you used real nails to attach the decking? I'm going to guess that the truss rods are threaded and bolted at the ends too? Great progress!

Richard

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  2:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

Very good and very interesting. Please continue to share your progress and building techniques with us.

Tom M.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  2:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, your craftsmanship is top notch.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, welcome aboard.

I echo Rick- your craftsmanship is really good. I think this is the first time I've seen tongue and groove joinery in MRR modeling.

Arthur

Arthur

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  4:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard: The door for the O.F. box car; are the outside measurements the same as the opening on the box car?

Tom M.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000