Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 211 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: SceneryTime ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  6:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my progress to date:

Roof and floor

Sides

Ends

Tomorrow: The roof shouldn't be to bad to figure out. The doors could prove to be interesting.

Tom M.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  7:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent thread showing typical boxcar construction.

Please use any photos ( by Ken Hughes ) regarding Popeye village

Richard, sorry to hear about your lose.

best wishes

"M"

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  10:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k27rgs

Excellent thread showing typical boxcar construction.

Please use any photos ( by Ken Hughes ) regarding Popeye village

Richard, sorry to hear about your lose.

best wishes

"M"

Mario, thanks for the kind words and best wishes. And also, thanks for the permission to use Ken's photos. Credit will be given.

Oh yes, Tom... you're up to three stars now. I'll try and catch up to you soon...

Richard...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  6:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received my T-2 archbar trucks from Dallas (BVM). Put one set together.

I A/I the floor of the box car. Should do the inside walls. I have not decided if the doors should be open or closed.

Richard: How do "you" build the box car doors?

Tom M.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  10:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

Received my T-2 archbar trucks from Dallas (BVM). Put one set together.

I A/I the floor of the box car. Should do the inside walls. I have not decided if the doors should be open or closed.

Richard: How do "you" build the box car doors?

Question well asked, Tom.

There has to be a thousand ways to handle the doors. I've been refining mine for some time, hence the missing addendum 5. First decision for me was the look. I think outside sheathed doors blend in with the car sides too much. For me, it's all about texture. The more stuph you can put on a model, the more interesting it seems to be. The outside framed doors add another layer of texture to the car sides. I use the same door for both cars, the o.f. car door is applied directly to the frame, the boxcar door is applied to the outer sheathing.

Addendum 5 is shown in the jpeg below. Subscribers will be receiving the pdf's as soon as I finish this. BTW, there are 35 members signed up for the drawings.

Details:

The top guides are pretty simple. Many railroads used a board of some sort to protect the hardware from the weather. Others left the hardware exposed. I chose the first option for simplicity. The bottom guides were the most perplexing. The guides affixed to the door itself come from the McLeod Western sprue R-6. The bottom track is the most difficult. I am looking for the kind of hardware found on some of the earlier Carter cars, which consists of a metal strap supported by these elegant castings. To my knowledge, no one makes these castings so I just chop some styrene blocking for the texture I'm looking for. I may make them a little more complicated than shown in the addendum, but we'll see. I can talk the talk...

Sprue R-6 is pretty useful. There are some items I hadn't designed for but since they come with the parts I wanted, I might as well use them. The wonderful photo that Jerry provided explains what each part does and where it goes. We will be using most of them. BTW there are two actual sprues in package R-6, enough to do one car.

Tom, this should keep you busy for a couple of hours at least.

Richard...

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  09:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard,

Thank you for the door details. The problem I have is where to purchase MacLeod Western parts.

I'll try to have the sides glued together today and build a door or two. And, yes, I'll post pictures.

Tom M.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
Jerry Kits has the parts.
http://www.foothillmodelworks.com/MLWestern.html

Richard, thanks for the door drawings/parts list.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  1:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ellis

Richard,

I use Grandt Line door runner part #28 along with the McCW part you listed for the bottom door guide on my boxcars. They are a good match, allowing the door to work. I'd show a photo of my installation but for some reason my picture will not attach.

Jim Ellis

Thanks for the lead Jim... I went to the Grandt site and looked up part #28 and the photo provided looks like it is upside down? If that's true, it looks as if this might be just the answer I'm looking for. I don't know how I missed this one before. I suppose I thought it was just another top guide, certainly judging from the photo.

I would be glad to try and post your pictures (I have gobs of software) if you'll be so kind as to E-mail me at:

rlgardner@cox.net

Richard

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  1:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Richard,

The Grandt door runner IS a top guide. I just turned it upside down and used it on the bottom and cut off one end stop.

I'll email my photo to you separately.

Jim Ellis

Jim, check your PM inbox

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  1:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

Richard,

The Grandt door runner IS a top guide. I just turned it upside down and used it on the bottom and cut off one end stop.

I'll email my photo to you separately.

Jim Ellis

Jim, thanks for the photo attached below...

BTW Jim, that's some excellent modeling there. The door runner as you have it certainly looks plausible and has the detail without all the work.

I'm going to do some research to see if there's anything out there to support this detail...

Richard

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  4:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The detailed parts list is a bit confusing as it is scattered through the thread. Perhaps we will have to create a master detail list and scale lumber list at the end of this build.

I have to order all parts and that can take as much as 4 weeks for delivery. I am sure others are in the same boat. That is how projects get put up on a shelf to be forgotten. That is what we do not want to happen.

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  5:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sides have been glued together ....

The box ends are about 1/16" to wide. You can see it in the roof ribs. I'll fix that on the next car(s).

The floor was washed with A/I "Sepia"

This is a fun project although at times tedious.

Tom M.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  5:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good Tom !

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  5:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

The detailed parts list is a bit confusing as it is scattered through the thread. Perhaps we will have to create a master detail list and scale lumber list at the end of this build.

I have to order all parts and that can take as much as 4 weeks for delivery. I am sure others are in the same boat. That is how projects get put up on a shelf to be forgotten. That is what we do not want to happen.

I appreciate your frustration Tom. I sense that you are a very organized and methodical person as is shown by your rapid progress. Unfortunately, as I've stated earlier, this is a build in progress. I haven't settled on all the detail parts I want to use myself as is evident with the recent bottom door guide exchange.

BTW as I'm writing this, I see that you've given us an up-date on your progress, looks great.

The other issue is that I've encouraged members to use the methods and details that they are familiar with. And they seem to be doing that. Some of the forum followers have indicated that they are building their own version in On3, 2 1/2" gauge live steam, HOn3 and 3/4" scale. Of the 35 members on the pdf list, you are the only one yet to provide progress photos, a few have indicated that they have started, a few more have indicated that they will start soon and the rest are either just following along or acquiring research information for future projects. For instance, not all the modelers will be using the same trucks and will benefit from the findings that Dave Mason and I will compile soon... I promise.

So... the bottom line is, you're right, WE should publish a list of parts, material and methods used. I'm sure. in the end, I will have used different parts than you or the next person. I will list the things I did, things that worked, things that didn't work and things I would do differently the next time. I encourage you and others that finish the build with me to tell about your trials, what y'all did differently and why. The why part is most interesting to me as I'm constantly re-evaluating my own perceptions. Jerry Kitts calls me an impressionable young man.

Tom, hang in there with me, I believe you said you were having fun despite the tedium, and to me, that's what it's all about.

Richard

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  6:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Richard wanna thank you for all the updates, still a short of time to follow along on this build, will drop in some time..

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000