Railroad Line Forums - New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 224 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 New 18'-0" boxcar Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7
Page: of 38

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  12:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard, my codolences to you and your family, I have been through this situation before and it is always tough.

Mark

W,L,&E

shayman
Section Hand

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  12:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard,
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know you'll miss her and have some solice in believing she's in a better place now. Take care.

Mike Reuter

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard sorry to hear of your loss. My mother was 91 on October 10 and doesn't recall that we joined her for dinner and birthday cup cakes. We had our youngest son's wedding on 10/15 in Washington DC a two hour drive away but she could not attend -- far easier for all of us -- and today she didn't know a thing about it. My brother lives with her so he has the primary duty and it is HARD!

Hitting the end of the slide of life is different for everyone but somehow the survivors work through it -- a distraction like model railroading helps.

Bill Uffelman
Overlooking San Antonio TX from the 20th floor most of this week

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  5:46:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Built the jig for the frame:

The wood in the frame:

The first completed frame:

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  6:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what a good color for the underside of the box car would be? Brown with a wash of black to give that dirty road soiled look ....

Tom M.

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  10:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking frame Tom. Most new cars were painted the samee as thew rest of the car, weathering would be A&I wash to give a gray weathered look and some rust on the metal parts.

Mark

W,L,&E

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  11:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tommatthews

I wonder what a good color for the underside of the box car would be? Brown with a wash of black to give that dirty road soiled look ....

Tom... first let me say that you get a gold star as the first to respond to this build with pictures.

As for the color of the underside of a boxcar, Mark is correct as well as six other answers you may receive that would also be correct. Meaning there is no consensus. So, if you see a prototype scheme that strikes your fantasy, by all means go for it.

I tend to use the western railroads (SPC, NCO and WSLCo for instance) for my inspiration and often they left the undersides unpainted. They would paint the ends of the needle beams and bolsters the car color but "only as far as they could reach" quoting the late Russ Simpson. That would leave the underside a weathered wood with copious amounts of your local road grime using the technique of choice.

One of the attractions of On30 is that we can pretty much do what we fancy. And that's OK with me. After all, it's only make believe.

On another note, thank you all for your condolences. It seems that some of you have gone through similar periods in your life and know what I'm going through. I'll be just fine...

Richard

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2011 :  11:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pass on my condolences too.

Regards,

Arthur

Arthur

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  08:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, nice work on the frame and the jig.
I would probably give it an A&I wash and dust it up with some weathering powders to make it look dirty.

BTW, I added this thread to the On30 Reference thread.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  09:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments. I give this one a coat of A/I and weather and grime it when I have completed the build.

I will be building at least 4 - O.F box cars so I should get the last one right.

Today I'll build the roof jig ....

Tom M.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  12:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built the roof jig this morning ...

Roof ribs and wood strips ...

Finished roof frame ....

Richard's plans, measurements and instructions on this forum are clear and have helped me get to this point in the build.

Tom M.

Richard Gardner
Section Hand

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  2:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're on a roll Tom, I'll try and keep up with you...

Richard

n6nvr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  9:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
different trucks and different size wheels as long as within a reasonable range to get a close bolster and coupler height match should be ok to go with. After all many railroads got their cars and trucks from various sources. Some new, some used and some, very used. Why shouldn't a shop foreman swap what ever he had on hand that more or less fitted on to the car to get it out of the chop? Since it sounds like you are talking cars that have been in service for a while (weathered and grimy underframes) why not have a minor mismatch or two. It's not like it's going to be on the Pennsy as a standard of the world.

Don't push me bureaucrat, I've got a bit of hangover

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  1:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the roof jig Tom.....I will be watching the
mail for a set of them.....;-) LOL! Just kidding.....

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  3:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Richard, thanks for your continued updates...please accept my condolences as well. Having lost two members of the family last year, I can agree that the hobby is good therapy for grief.

Tom, congratulations, two gold stars! And a great start on construction!

Page: of 38 Previous Topic: 1/48, 1/43, 1/50 - 25, 28, 32, 40 mm, figure ref. Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol 7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000