Railroad Line Forums - Gauley & Panther Creek Rwy
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 2 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Gauley & Panther Creek Rwy
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Backmann 3 Truck Shay & Climax  stalling problems Topic Next Topic: NZR prototype photos
Page: of 4

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  1:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is a test message.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  2:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought I would start a thread strictly on my West Virginia logging and mining layout.
As you know, I model in On30 using a Digitrax system with sound equipped locos. Some of the structures were built many years ago when I was modeling in On3, some were given to me by friends over the years and some have been recently built.
My main focus in modeling in On30 was the release of the Bachmann line of locomotives due to their running qualities and as appropriate to my interests....2 cylinder shay, a beautiful small climax and others. I have also a fondness for smooth running diesel critters and will run ops sessions in two distinct periods...the 1920's and the 1950's.
The layout is now largely built and I'm getting the paperwork and car cards ready for upcoming operation session.
Here is the main yard at Marybill, WV (a real place along the Gauley River). The G&PC engine house and shops are located here. There will also be an interchange with the B&O and will have a large flooring mill located behind the B&O boxcar. (there always seems to be a bright red "beano" boxcar in most of the photos taken in and around the Richwood, WV yard of the Cherry River Boom & Lumber Co. Having this particular boxcar helps "set the stage" for visitors who will realize that the G&PC is physically located on the map, in B&O coal country.

Trains enter the scene from a staging yard in my shop. The staging yard is called Gauley Mills, a small spot on the B&O.

The main is running along the front edge of layout (along the Gauley River), a three track yard gives me plenty of space for lumber flats coming from the mill, coal and coke gons coming from further up the switchback, (the notorious, hot closet!). At the far left end of the yard are the G&PC's warehouses where everything the log camps need on a daily basis. Supply trains to each of the camps will be run nightly on the rwy.

This is a "big" critter on the G&PC! Bringing in a train of empty flats into Marybill yard.

Next up will be the area around the switchback up the mountain. Both log trains and coal/coke trains will use the switchback to access those areas "in the woods".

Thanks for taking a "ride" through the yard with me.....tom

Edited by - Sully on 09/01/2011 2:17:40 PM

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  3:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool

Elliott

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  3:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom,

Look'n good. Post more, more, more..........

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  6:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, nice idea to gather postings and pictures of your nice layout in a dedicated thread. First pics are good, next ones are expected...

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  05:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks good tom, look forward to more photos.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  06:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  2:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom, keep the pics and comentary coming. I hope to get down to your layout this fall.

Mark

W,L,&E

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  02:20:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom, a great start, I will be watching this thread with interest...I really like how the terrain naturally slopes down toward the viewer in some scenes. Very nice!

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  3:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gauley Lumber Co......"the cream of eastern hardwoods"......

Just completed the big, flooring mill of the Gauley River Lumber Company. This structure is the main component of the my lumber operation. The sawmill produces cants that are re-sawn into hardwood flooring. The finished flooring product goes out via the B&O.

The mill was constructed from foam core with Grandt windows and doors. I sheathed it with corrugated siding. I was trying to model something along the lines of the large mill seen in pictures of the Cherry River Lumber Co. in Richwood, W Va. As you can see, it's basically a false front structure and will be placed against the back wall in the yard. A std. gauge B&O boxcar will be loading on some dual gauge trackage. This scene will help visitors understand what narrow gauge vs std. gauge is all about.
The signs were made on my computer, thinned by a good rubbing with sandpaper and glued to the siding. I used a stiff bristle brush to "push" the sign into the corrugations as much as I dared without tearing the sign.

I "borrowed" the slogan from the Meadow River Lumber Co. in Rainelle which advertised their products as "the cream of Appalachian hardwoods"

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  3:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sully,

Very nice building. Lots of work went into her for sure.

Tom M.

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, Tom! Looking forward to seeing more.

Len
http://escry.blogspot.com/

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  11:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking building, Tom. How big is it?

George

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  12:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good looking building Tom, as does the layout !!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  1:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking building Tom!

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments guys. This industry is going to be seeing a lot in inbound loads from the sawmill. (outbound will be the "forever loading" B&O boxcar that will never move!

George, the building is 24" across the front, 6" wide and about 18" height. It's big....and it really "anchors" the scene in the yard.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Backmann 3 Truck Shay & Climax  stalling problems Topic Next Topic: NZR prototype photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000