Railroad Line Forums - Little House on the Slough.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 62 ]  [ Newest Member: Skymaster ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Little House on the Slough.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: D. K. Retterer Collection Topic Next Topic: Early Rail : Cars Youve Built
Page: of 7

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  10:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work continues on planing this little house.
I thought I would share with you my crazy method of planning.
Here's a side view of the house;

I don't know which of the two views are a mirror image but obviously one is.

I used SketchUp to do a depth study so I know how deep to make the porch, etc:

I then took measurements from the first photo in this tread and drew out a working drawing with Cadrail;

Notice that the roof angles are now all the same? I'm using this drawing to plan windows. As nobody makes like the prototypes compromise is called for.

Comments always welcomed

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  10:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found a big error in my Cadrail drawing ignore it please and the erroneous conclusion I drew from it.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  1:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ignoring as instructed ... anybuddy want some coffee & donuts while we wait?

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  2:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dallas_m

Ignoring as instructed ... anybuddy want some coffee & donuts while we wait?

You better eat more than that. You'll starve waiting for me!

Here's the corrected drawing;

The porch doesn't look quite wide enough.
But the different roof angles are showing up now.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  2:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great little home, any more pics?

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 17th 2014

spyder62
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit spyder62's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Here's the corrected drawing;

The porch doesn't look quite wide enough.
But the different roof angles are showing up now.
[/quote]

Looks much better now the roof line look right to me. As for the porch don't know but looks ok.
rich
rslaserkits

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and three or more is a congress.
--John Adams

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  10:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rotated about 0.6 degrees clockwise ... a little closer to "straight" ... lens distortion notwithstanding ...

Looks like house is about 5 units wide, addition is slightly under 3 units wide and porch is about 2-3/4 units wide.

Maybe this will help ... or, I'll just shut up and go get more donuts. Kinda favor the cruellers and or the sour-cream ones myself, but maybe I'll get a variety ... some chocolate cake donuts perhaps ... definitely more coffee. Maybe it is pronounced "slow".

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Edited by - dallas_m on 09/02/2011 10:38:55 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  12:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dallas,
That's a neat program you got there. Your measurements agree with mine. when I printed this picture out in came out surprisingly in O scale. So I was able to scale it directly but thanks for the help. I'm sloW guys, in addition I'm going through a period were I need more sleep so progress has been limited. Next is some color testing. Though I'm gratified in the interest in my project. More well come, Thanks!!!

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  11:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a test!
No actual models were hurt in the process of making this presentation.

a color test;

I started by coloring the drawing using color pencils to get a general idea of what it will look like. The swatches on the right are the actual paints I plan to use. You will notice that I spotted the actual paint in the center of the drawing. There is more difference in the density of the Leaf and Kelly green colors than appears in this scan. Since nobody makes windows like these I'm going have to compromise and use multiple plane windows. I think it will look better if I use the Barn Red instead of Black in the drawing and picture.

Now you know I want to hear comments on this!

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  11:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be careful with the two green colors. You don't want them too bright, particularly the kelly green trim color. The general recommendation I've read is to tone down bright colors with about 10% white (but in the case of the trim color, it might also work to add some neutral gray, instead - perhaps Troels can provide some expert opinion here.)

dave (who learned the hard way with red trim on a "Silver Plume Store' kit that ended up looking toy-like when the kit was done.)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  08:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little work done. A little plastic surgery
to get windows closer to the prototype. Still trying to get the colors right. They still need new head caps but here are the windows;

They are reworked Campbell's windows.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  08:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes, DO keep the greens toned way down, both to weather and to simulate scale distance and powerful lighting. Too heavy a green can be "killed" by adding something in the red neighbor hood, from rust browns to orange. Lighten with white PLUS a warm yellow-orange color to avoid the ice-colors. A very good solution for lightening and killing at the same time is mixing the green with a naples yellow RED (not the usual naples yellow) or a warm flesh color (not too pink). The house in the photo doesn't to me look like it was green base... rather a cream white or light yellow perhaps, and perhaps with a rainbow's colors above?. At that time people were celebrating the new synthetic pigments by cheerful coloring of their houses, but all in small quantities to keep it less expensive, so a lot of light and airy pastel hues were common. A barn red would look almost black in comparison.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden
http://coastline.no13.se

Edited by - kirk on 09/12/2011 08:38:43 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  08:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Troels,
You think maybe the base colors were something like these?

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  09:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, great project and I am enjoying the opportunity of watching as you sketch and plan.

quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Do you think those are wood or slate shingles?

dave

I live near the slate region of PA and have seen plenty of examples of fish scale slates installed on vertical surfaces like the front of this house. This pump house is just one of many examples that I have in my collection.

Having said that, I agree that the shingle on this house are wood.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  3:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Troels comments are supported by the historical information I can find. There are lots of pictures of beautifully painted Victorian houses but it's hard to know which of these are historically accurate. Depending on the guidance of sites that say they are for restorers I came up with this 2nd trail which reflects the era's nickname: the brown era: two shade of brown unite the black and orange-red;

I have always liked earth tones. I once used a similar color scheme on my house. So I do like this scheme but I have my reservations about it as it doesn't seem to be in harmony with what we now know about how the railroads painted their equipment during this era. so I'm thinking about it a while. Here how the scheme looks on the windows;

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: D. K. Retterer Collection Topic Next Topic: Early Rail : Cars Youve Built  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000