Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - RailRoad Camp... in 'O'
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 12 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 63 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: josefarr71 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - RailRoad Camp... in 'O'
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Printing color signs at Staples? Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Deer Creek Machine Shop?
Page: of 11

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  10:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it doesnt matter how many other projects you are working on at the bench and trying to get finished...... the excitement and anticipation of a new SWSM box arriving seems to take precedence.

Perfectly packaged, as is usual for a SierraWest kit, the initial content inspections reveal nothing less than the highest quality, as expected.

Detailed content pics tomorrow hopefully.

Unfortunately I won't be able to unpack this gem completely until then when I clear the desk (somewhat) and make some space....

With all these ongoing projects I'm starting to think I may need to build 'another' modeling bench !!

Hickory's still a long way away.... right?

Karl.A

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  10:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes!!!
I've been looking forward to this! The 4 teaser pics on the SW site look truly stellar! Grab a leaf blower, clear off that bench and let's get to gettin'.

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  10:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,

I'll be following along closely with your build. This is one of my favorite group of structures from SWSMs.

Hickory . . . heck you have plenty of time, and you might even get in a few hours of shut-eye.

Michael

TRAINS1941
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  10:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Quote"
With all these ongoing projects I'm starting to think I may need to build 'another' modeling bench !!

Or maybe finish one of the ones you started!!!

Looking forward to your progress on this one Karl.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  12:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gents...

quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Or maybe finish one of the ones you started!!!
Jerry

I dont know what you mean Jerry, I've finished all the benches that I've started.....

Karl.A

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl, looking forward to this build and to see how you do the work on the stone walls. I can hardly wait for the truck shop to come out. I have been saving my pennies for these kits.

Mark

W,L,&E

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  09:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this build Karl, still a lot to learn from one of the masters. Desk looks a lot cleaner as mine..

Grtz Martin..
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark & Marty...

Stone walls will be first on the 'to-do' list Mark, gotta go to work for a few hours now though. More later.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  2:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillMichaels

Grab a leaf blower, clear off that bench and let's get to gettin'.

The leaf blower/vac is reserved for use in the den, not enough room in here .......

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  2:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, got home from work as planned and rushed to 'unpack'...

I thought I was good at packing but Brett sure can cram ALOT of goodies into his boxes...

'Most' of the contents laid out for inspection.. Tons of stripwood, lasercut subwalls roofs and floor. A plethera of Bretts innovative cutting jigs to make life(modeling) easy and enjoyable. Full sized templates, spiral manual and all the other stuff to get to...

Casting box full of resin and metal details....

The fantastic interlocking stone walls mastered by Nick O. They really are incredible to look at, size, style and texture. Nick did an amazing job on these beauties.

An excellent fit straight from the wrapper, just propped together..

This is where I'll be starting, getting the stone walls together and painted....

Karl.A

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  2:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this will be fun to watch!!!

brett

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  2:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing I noticed about Nick's stone work is that it has a "stone-by-stone" feel--stones with irregular shapes that had to be fit into place. I've seen some stone castings where you can tell the designer took a ruler and scribed rows, then came back and added the verticle cuts.

What's the reason for the one window that isn't open all the way through?

Edited by - BillMichaels on 08/20/2011 2:52:26 PM

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  3:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillMichaels

The first thing I noticed about Nick's stone work is that it has a "stone-by-stone" feel--stones with irregular shapes that had to be fit into place. I've seen some stone castings where you can tell the designer took a ruler and scribed rows, then came back and added the verticle cuts.

What's the reason for the one window that isn't open all the way through?

Bill ,

The reason it has got a "stone-by-stone" feel about it is because it was constructed "stone-by-stone" , or near as dammit . When the subject first came up a couple of years ago with Brett about releasing The Railroad Camp in O Scale I foolishly said that I would do the master for the stone work as I dislike the way most other stone buildings in this scale end up and I was convinced that there was a better way than having the corners butt jointed . Therefore , I set myself the task of constructing the stonewalls with interlocking corners . And , by and large , it seems to have worked out . Brett had to do quite a bit of "fettling" to make them work for him but I am just pleased he was able to use them at all .

The reason for the blocked in window is that the way Brett has constructed the buildings it will be hidden from view by the warehouse . However , I also wanted to make the walls adaptable so that if the modeller wanted to do something different he could open up the window and have that elevation exposed . This means that it could be a stand alone building with a completely different top storey if the modeller wanted it . I would be interested to see if anyone does actually do anything different .
I really only produced the sort of thing that I would want to see in a kit .

NickO

BillMichaels
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  4:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I foolishly said that I would do the master for the stone work

So, the lesson is, don't talk to Brett?

Seriously, it's great work and the extra effort was noticable right away. The interlocking stonework is something I bet will beome the industry standard (hopefully). After all, how many ways are there to disguise a seam?

Again, well done and I know Karl's gonna put his masterful spin on it!

Bill

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the confidence vote Bill!!

Gotta love those corners... Awesome!
And I havent even filled them yet....

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  9:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just lucky we have the guy from across the pond, you know NickO Sir Nick!!!!

Well Karl you got started now will all be looking forward to this thread.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Printing color signs at Staples? Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Deer Creek Machine Shop?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-13 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000