Railroad Line Forums - Log Bronc
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Log Bronc
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: bachmann rail busses Topic Next Topic: MDC Shay conversion.
Page: of 5

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  8:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All,
A while back I introduced this project in the lounge to get some feedback. I want share this effort with you all here rather than in the lounge where the food gets spilled all over it and because its so small it ends up being a door stop.

First a thank you to Bill Roy of Timberbeast fame, Bill is number one on my research list for drawings and provided these drawings to me. I have some of Bill's castings and kits.

The starting point for this is the scale plans provided by Bill and a short description along with some other pictures. there might be other pics but I haven't run across them.

The build as you see is not simple, mostly scratch built and designed so I can mold and make resin castings for the 2 versions. First will be a "in the water" version for the pond with log bronc driver. Second will be the version which will be up on blocks or saw horses to show off the underside, both will use the same resin base.

Starting point...

The initial base build...

Status to date...

I think this picture is close to the one I am building ...

Les

anubis51
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  8:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Les,

A curious looking contraption....

Thanks for the post.

John

Time is the Gauge of Existence

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  9:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is what a Log Bronc looks like.....
Did you make the castings Les?
Waaaaay cool! Will be looking fwd to more updates......
Thanks for sharing!

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  9:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bill
I will be making the castings, the gray ring is a rim from a 1/35 scale truck that became a rail vehicle. I hope to mold and cast this weekend.

I had orginally planned to build the last one pictured, I might well do that, the piece I have could easily be done that way.

Les

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  11:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Bill
I will be making the castings, the gray ring is a rim from a 1/35 scale truck that became a rail vehicle. I hope to mold and cast this weekend.

I had orginally planned to build the last one pictured, I might well do that, the piece I have could easily be done that way.

Les

Someone here posted a link to youtube featuring one of those in action a wayyy while back. Nice project Les!

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 07/20/2011 11:48:49 PM

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  11:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Les, that has the makings of a very cool model. It will be interesting to follow your progress! Perhaps you could expose the engine compartment with an old 2-cylinder marine engine onboard.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  05:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les, that's a cutie one.
I had asked for plans for this kind of boat for my brother-in-law, Pierre, here :
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21554
and there's a link to the video showing the little thing in action in the first post.
Here is a shot of a model Pierre built :

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  06:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good Morning All,
Thanks for the comments. Indeed this one will have an exposed outboard motor with a wheel to turn the bronc. Bill Roy replied to my update, that the earlier versions were almost awash with water while doing their business.

Later versions had a stronger more in-board motor driving the bronc as Frederic shows. Infact the pic that I posted last looks to be the same version as he posted.

Yeah a fun little model that has been on my must build list for some reason.

Les

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what a bizzare little thing, look forward to seeing a fineshed model

milocomarty
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  09:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit milocomarty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking thingie, bit strange tho....follow you along on this build Les..

http://martinwelberg.wordpress.com/
http://cardiganbaycoastalrailroad.wordpress.com/

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  09:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Martin, Andy, et al,
Yeah a bit strange, but those who model logging and log ponds need some way to get those log things to the chute for cutting. yes there are log rafts, and log monkeys..the guys in the pond who walk the logs...this is pretty small, and unique, after all thats what I am all about.

Les

dmunseyjr
New Hire

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  12:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a pond boat & log raft that appeared in the Jan 1984 issue of The Journal of Forestry.

http://myflyertrains.org/gallery/album149/logging_tug_joforestry_jan1984pg19

Enjoy!

dmunseyjr
New Hire

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  12:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a pic of a Hull-Oakes pond boat.

http://myflyertrains.org/gallery/album149/hull_oakes_pondboat1

dmunseyjr
New Hire

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  12:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this is a pond-boat or a recreational tug. but the feel is right.

http://myflyertrains.org/gallery/album149/tugboat_tiny_spike

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frederic Testard

Les, that's a cutie one.
I had asked for plans for this kind of boat for my brother-in-law, Pierre, here :
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21554
and there's a link to the video showing the little thing in action in the first post.

I remember that post Frederic!
Les, thanks for sharing and posting your build for us. That is a unique and very interesting logging water vehicle. Looking forward to your progress.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  5:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All,
Thanks again for the links, Frederic the video is very good, and the like to the drawing is even better, wish I had one dimension to work from. I suspect the newer log bronc, log boom...that shows a metal hull and the lucky guy getting to sit on a seat is about the same size or just a bit bigger. It also has inboard motor but notice the protected area below...thats where he prop is, so you have the motor mounted backward with the prop in the basket. Maybe I will build that one too...Was there dimensions for the new version?

Les

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: bachmann rail busses Topic Next Topic: MDC Shay conversion.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000