Railroad Line Forums - Railroad Vacation Destinations
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 65 ]  [ Newest Member: lewisoliver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Railroad Photography Forum
 Railroad Vacation Destinations
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Gallery: July 2011 Engine Facilities Topic Next Topic: Winthrop, Washington. Lots of pictures!  

gregnarrowgauge
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  06:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello.
I am Starting to plan a vacation to the USA to ride some trains. I know about Cass and Colorado,...but surely there are more than that.
Please post links and pictures to any that you know of or have enjoyed.

Thanks
Greg

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  06:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Greg,
There are several ways to solve your issue. One is a book called the Guide to North Americas Tourist Railways and Museums. You can find it at hobbyshops, bookstores and probably online. It lists places by state. You can also google, tourist railroads or scenic railroads (that is the best term) and start there. When I travel for work I do just that, search the state and town where I will be map it out and go.

Les

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  09:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There sure are many more. Western Maryland or Strasburg, PA; one in North Carolina or Conway, NH just to mention a few.

NGPhil
New Hire

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  3:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the East Broad Top in PA if you're interested in NG.

Phil Light

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  4:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Take a look at this web site. It's has some good information on it.

http://gsrj.com/railroads-usa.html

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

fireman93514
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  11:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

we have the Virginia and Truckee out here in nevada. Carson City to Virginia City. In Felton CA you can ride a shay into the redwoods.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  11:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2-3 hours from Boston, MA you've got Clark's Trading Post (Shay, Climax & Heisler), Conway Scenic (mountain railroading in Crawford Notch), Seashore Trolley Museum and the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum (2-foot).

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  8:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A must see is the White Pass and Yukon out of Skagway Alaska. I have made the trip twice now and will go many more times. http://www.wpyr.com

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Edited by - BigLars on 07/20/2011 8:53:13 PM

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  8:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dont forget the Skunk RailRoad in Fort Bragg California, Centralia RR, and Mount Raineer Scenic RR. If you are still in Colorado, do the museum at Golden, then up the canyon to enjoy the other mining adventures and to Georgetown RR.

Les

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  8:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steam town in PA
http://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  9:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two kinds of attractions to consider:
1. train rides: Cumbres & Toltec is the tops in my view. Cass probably is #2, and I'm very fond of the Georgetown Loop. In New Hampshire, besides those that James mentioned, there's the Mt Washington cog railway.
2. museums: I'd rate the big 3 as California RR Museum, Sacramento; Colorado RR Museum, Golden; PA RR Museum, Strasburg. I was just at Steamtown and thought it was disappointing (but that's because I'm more interested in 19th century stuff and Steamtown's better for 'big steam' railroading.)

But I'm sure you'll get as many opinions as posters on this thread!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Previous Topic: The Gallery: July 2011 Engine Facilities Topic Next Topic: Winthrop, Washington. Lots of pictures!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000