Railroad Line Forums - Torres y Prietas mining narrow gauge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 174 ]  [ Total: 176 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Torres y Prietas mining narrow gauge
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module Topic Next Topic: Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Durango
Page: of 28

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  04:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These views demonstrate once more how the addition of verticality dramatically enhances the strength of a scene. Fantastic work, Duane.
A range of very small trees could be an idea for a transition with the background suggesting distance. There's also the progressive decrease of the road width, plus having it turn behing something (boulder, small structure) if it is possible.

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  04:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i agree the lighting is naff, but the models and newer photos liik great, i love the hight and builds sitting right on the edges. very interesting

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love what you've done! I don't see anything wrong with it.

how did you construct your road? The dirt looks really smooth!

Arthur

Arthur

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm ... potential for huge eruption here ... oh my!

While the placement of the business district might not be "realistic" ... it reminds me ... oh no, here it is ... yes, it reminds me of Malcolm Furlow's San Juan Central ... where, um, let's see ... there's a bit of "character" or "caricature" or whatever one might choose to call it. I happen to like the effects that he achieved. You've got realistic tones and contours in your scenery ... if you want to head in that direction and instill a little "character", I think you can pull it off. So, there, I've said it!

Meanwhile, safe thing to say: the lower camera angle is a big step in the right direction.

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

OregonOn30
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  7:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Duane

I see you've really been busy. Nice landforms and coloring in these scenes. Look forward to seeing this in person someday.

Rick

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  7:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the depth of the scenes, please keep the pictures coming.
Larry

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  7:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like these last pics, lot more drama and character...great scene!

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  12:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, will try to incorporate many of them.
Im enjoying the challenging of trying to get the composition "right," although there are clearly many possible solutions. If there was just one angle to photograph this section from, it would be failry straightforward, but everytime I move a structure to make one angle better, it affects the other angle. Kinda like one of those pesky Rubics Cubes that I could only get one side of...

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  12:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, didnt answer some of the questions:
Arthur-the road and almost everything in the scene is carved plaster. Its a miracle product that has lost popularity because it is heavy (Rick can attest that the T y P is very heavy) In fact, the only items purchased in a hobby shop is a few Grandt Line windows, corrugated roof material and dimensional wood. Everything else is recycled (foam, cardboard etc) or hardware store items, i.e. paint. Im cheap. I think I have less in the entire layout than a single brass loco.

Dallas-interesting that you bring up Mr. Furlow, despite all of the mud that has been slung in his direction he is a great artist who understood composition etc. Few would argue that his models were accurate representations of Rocky Mountain mining towns, but they captured a certain feel. I think you nailed it on the head when you used the word "caricature." To a degree all modellers are caricaturists in that we are forced to focus on the elements that make the scene. Worked pretty good for Picasso and Van Gogh, who were both basically cartoonists (but really good cartoonists!)

Frederick-will use some foliage to hide the backdrop after everything else is set up and painted. Im hoping that will tie everything together.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  12:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only second what Dallas and you say of Malcolm Furlow. He broke a lot of the "rules" that somehow is supposed to exist. It is almost as if there is a secret jury out there that people are afraid of... I don't get that. There is a reason why he still isn't forgotten!

I think your steep scenery works very well, and since you have your attention to the composition aspect, I'm sure you'll get it right! Fred's thoughts of letting the road dissapear around a bend or behind bushes are very efficient solutions...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

wslco
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  9:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The interesdting thing about Malcolm Furlow and Thomas Yorke and Lane Stewart and John Olsen is that they all came out of the Walt Disney "Factory" where they were trained to create and build in a certain style. A style that has served all of them very well in their modeling and other endevours.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  10:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I "third" what Troels and Dallas have said. I too, receive my primary inspiration from Malcolm Furlow and John Olson, and let's not forget the original Master of caricature, John Allen, himself!

Arthur

Arthur

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  12:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I drooled over the John Allen book when Kalmbach released it. I think what all of my favorite modelers (add Kirk and Dave Frary to the list) is that they create the feel of a specific time and place with carefully chosen structures and details. I can often understand why some of those on that list chose to leave the hobby though...

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  10:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I had the paint/masonite out to paint the backdrop behind the town I finished a new section of backdrop for the flat desert area, (then promptly dropped it after taking the pic):

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2011 :  11:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I like your work Duane. It reminded me of Virginia City, Nevada, where the commercial district was up on the hill from the railroad facilities that served the mines. Though Tombstone, AZ. is about as flat as a pancake the railroad branch that served it skirted around the town. So I don't know where these "rules" are coming from or what's all the fuss is about here myself.
I was never a fan of Malcolm Furlow's modeling. I found it too dark. It was to much over the line to fantasy for me too, but it was the darkness that bothered me the most.
I did like Olson and Allen, They were more balanced to my eye.

But that's my 2cts this early morning.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module Topic Next Topic: Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Durango  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000