Railroad Line Forums - Torres y Prietas mining narrow gauge
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Torres y Prietas mining narrow gauge
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module Topic Next Topic: Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Durango
Page: of 28

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i haven't posted on RRL for a while, so I thought Id post progress of the mining railroad as Im working on it-as a footnote, it is located in the garage, which has horrible lighting for pics, particularly for a sun-baked desert. It is on wheels and rolls outside when Im ready to take better pics, so bear with:
The railroad is a copper mining railroad set down near the Arizona/Sonora border circa 1940. Currently Im struggling with a mining town: When I started the layout, I didn't plan it with photography in mind, but lately that part of the hobby is starting to appeal to me.

The mining town shows some of the challenges: From this angle the dirt road leads the eye directly to where the backdrop ends: Another problem in this photo angle is that the track is too close to the edge of the layout for pics. Ideas? Suggestions?

This angle shows still under construction town from the other side. I had originally planned to build a row of businesses on the lower left, but after mocking it up realized that it blocked the train from operators and photographers: May do a low profile station instead, but looking for other ideas as well...

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  12:36:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elminero67

Currently Im struggling with a mining town: When I started the layout, I didn't plan it with photography in mind, but lately that part of the hobby is starting to appeal to me.

The mining town shows some of the challenges: From this angle the dirt road leads the eye directly to where the backdrop ends

First reaction: Don't shoot it from that angle! (Patient: It hurts when I do this. Doctor: Don't do that.)

Second reaction: You've got some really cool stuff going on there with lots of potential. On that scene mentioned, try setting the self-timer on the camera and place it on the track just in front of that turnout ... let it cut off the top of the hill ... pretend you're a railfan visiting this railroad and focusing on the trains ... the background/scenery all becomes "setting" ...

Lots of opportunities here ... probably just need to change some of your thinking about holding and placing the camera ... experiment and "discover" what works. At some point, you may wish to get into PhotoShop, etc and look at "painting in" the missing backdrop digitally. There's a tutorial about that somewhere on the forum.

Also, from these shots, you're standing over the layout and pointing down with the camera ... think like a railfan ... get down to track level, play with placing the camera on the layout and letting it shoot pix on the timer, etc.

Really like what I see so far ... neat stuff and very convincing environment!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  03:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the angles and gradients in the scene but I think photos would benefit from a removable backdrop section where the gap in the backdrop is.

I really like the cabins on the hill but I think the side wall for the building on the extreme right is too high and makes the scene unbalanced.

Neil

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  04:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice layout, great coloring. Try to shoot a some on a lower angle. Lookin up for more!

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  07:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duane-

I like this scene ... especially like the arrangement of the houses at the top of the hill. Great coloring and texture. An immediate impression is that the tipple scene could use more elbow room. Maybe some of the business district could be moved up on the hill to serve as a destination for the road that leads up and out of the scene. A little more space around the tipple would allow more development of the mine scene. But it looks great the way you have it.

Just a thought,

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  07:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with others, the scene is good, just need to change the camera angle to "eye level". If I am seeing it right, the commercial business on the front edge has its back to the track implying another street out in the aisle so expansion of the commercial district will only be in your mind and not block anything.

Have we seen a track plan and overall photos of your RR? It looks very interesting.

Bill Uffelman
In Ocean View DE for most of the summer

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  08:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have got some great suggestions there. Your scenery is very nice.

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  09:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead of a row of businesses on the left, try just two or three with visibility of the tracks between the buildings.

Really nice layout so far and should offer some great photos following the advice above.

Dustymalaymann
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Dustymalaymann a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well I love the dirt road going up the hill & the overall scene gives the impression of a mining town stuffed into a very small space in a narrow valley with not much flat land about except that which has been created. Looking good.

Keith Miller

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  8:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the good tips.

I will try to get a "railfan's perspective," and lower the camera angle and see what happens. I know that the buildings are not well detailed, maybe thats why I try to keep the camera at length.

Neil-will lower the building at far right, it does look out of sorts, but fortunately is just a mock-up at this point.

wslco
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  8:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good looking work. But the row of stores are out of place. Having lived in a copper mining camp in ht e1940's, I can tell you that there would only be a general store/gas station (owned by the company and/or run by a contractor).

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wslco

I can tell you that there would only be a general store/gas station (owned by the company and/or run by a contractor).

That occurred to me, also. Why would such a small town have a commercial district at all? But it could be the Sonora equivalent of Thurmond, West Virginia. Banks and businesses in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I guess it could happen.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it happened more than many of us realize, as boom periods of mining caused speculation about a town's future to run rampant. The successful mines, and their surrounding towns, measured their prosperity in decades. The ones that went bust measured it in months or years.

Mining towns often built in haphazard and random patterns, without the logical layout of a town that formed over decades of gradual growth. Perhaps because of the rugged terrain, everything is on different levels and scattered about the mining activity to create a unique look. The only parallel I can think of is larger logging camps.

I think Duane is well on his way to capturing that look, and fine tuning the structure locations and sightlines will make the scene even better. The camera's perspective has a way of making all of our modeling better by giving us a new way of seeing the little worlds we create. There are a lot of great suggestions above, and I look forward to watching progress on the Torres y Prietas!

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
moved the camera to a lower angle put an old piece of backdrop behing the buildings. Fortunately I used the same shade of blue so I should be able to paint them to match. None of the buildings or details are finished and the lighting is still dreadful, but the composition seems to work from a lower angle with some of the deatils removed:

In the last couple of years Ive become interested in 20th Century mining camp architecture, All of the buildings are based on prototypes found in mining camps in Arizona, New Mexico or Sonora.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  01:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great scenery in the last two pics.
There's a lot going on with the contours intergrated with height.
Love the curved road.
All dramatic in a small compressed footprint

" Stay Motivated in Life "
http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_mario_rapinett.html

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  02:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love what you have going on there, keep it up and keep taking pics

John

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

Page: of 28 Previous Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module Topic Next Topic: Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Durango  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000