Railroad Line Forums - SWSM "O" Wood Cutter's Shack -duel builds
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 258 ]  [ Total: 263 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SWSM "O" Wood Cutter's Shack -duel builds
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Soldering Topic Next Topic: scratchbuilt Ghost Town Structure
Page: of 11

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  2:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris ( hon3 rr) and also known as KP suggested we do a thread together building Brett’s O scale Wood Cutters Shack. Although there is a thread already running we felt that since they were far along on their builds it might be more fun to do a separate one so we can banter and tease each other without attracting attention away from the other builds. Kris's build will be part of his Mine scene and I will be adding to the tool and rigging builds to make a new diorama incorporating the three of them.

So, here it is - another super build from the guys who brought you A tale of Two Mines and Dueling Builds - ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, Sierra West’s O scale Wood Cutter’s Shack by Elliott and KP. Ta da!
Elliott

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  3:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fun, fun, fun!!!

Brett

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  4:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What took you so long to get organized Elliott??

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  4:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I can see what I missed.....;-)
Looking forward to following along.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  5:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry... you should see how clean Elliott's work area is... really scary!! I know... I've seen it.

I'm going to be doing some 'double duty' modeling wise this summer as I will complete this build, the cabin and main ore bin in the Mine thread. On this thread I'm not going to do my usual detailed documentation as Brett's instructions are excellent and there have already been some really outstanding work shown on creating other effects for the weathering associated with this structure, as well as what can be achieved by simply following Brett's instructions. I also suspect that Elliott will have a surprise or two... he usually does.

I do plan on using this structure on the Mine diorama as noted by Elliott, but it will be lightly modified to represent a pump house to supply compressed air to the mines on the diorama. I'll also have a steam input pipe from the large boiler from the future Hoist House (SWSM Engine and Boiler House) which will be elevated over the tracks and going into the pump house.

As I'm starting to get a few structures sitting around, I'm going to mount a few of them on very small bases and do some detailing of immediate area around the structures and then blend these mini-diorama's into the overall diorama. This will be the first structure I'm going to try this with. The main reason here is due to the pipes leading into the pump house and from the pump house to the mines. I'll be leaving connection points to the pipes.

I'm looking forward to teasing Elliott a bit later in the build when he starts his usual mini-scenes... well, actually teasing just started as now Elliott has now been set-up. I also going to keep a clean bib handy...

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 06/06/2011 5:20:51 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  5:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be looking forward to following along with these builds guys.

It should be a great journey with lots of cool stuff to see along the way.

Karl.A

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  6:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As one of the old masters of early TV was so apt to say, “…and awaaey we go!“

First - thanks to those who posted encouraging words and to Kris for his introductory verbiage - always know you are going to get the big picture when he opines - lol. I would like to encourage folks to comment, especially those who are newer members, so we can improve the dialog and get to know you better through your comments and observations. I started that way when I joined back in 2004.

The first exercise in the instructions is to prepare the tarpaper - this was a first for me, a technique Mic Greenberg developed. You are supplied a piece of newsprint and you are required to secure your own Kleenex. Then you separate the layers of Kleenex and then place one of them squarely on the newsprint. Then you are to asked to use a craft sponge - another tool!!! - which I did not possess. A little searching and I found a hunk of cosmetic sponge - lopped off an end and secured it in a pair of surgical forceps. Then you dab Floquil grime on the layers - slowly rotating around the axis and avoiding large creases until you have covered the whole mess - wow, what a smell, and there goes half a bottle of the stuff. Here is the end result - did not go to the very edges since they were embossed with Kleenex’s handling equipment and that resulted in a bit of curling of them but looks like a great texture for a roof. On to casting prep.

Elliott

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  9:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

It is always a joy to watch two masters at work. This is gonna be fun. I know I'll pick up some new techniques.

Michael

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  10:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ive got a feeling im going to enjoy following this. With a few of Bretts kits on the way ive been going over the other dueling builds and other topics taking notes.

Ill be following along with the rest of the guys here.

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  12:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael for the high praise... I am truly humbled. Now if you could see the mess I have made with this tarpaper I think your opinion may change...

For me, this has been one of the techniques I have fought with over the years and have never ever been able to produce a quality product. I have tried this technique many times in the past using an old article from the Gazette (I think it was the Gazette) and I again have tried it a few times using Mic Greenberg's Tip Sheet Volume I Number 6 - Scale Model Tarpapers ( http://www.micgreenberg.com/crankcase.html ) without success.

I must complement Elliott on how nice he got everything.. and with only a half a bottle of paint! I went through a full bottle plus of Grime-Black paint and 5 sheets of paper (I used the packing newsprint in addition to the sheet provided by Brett) and still don't have something usable.

After seeing what Elliott produced, I'm going to pull out some craft paints in a light gray color and give it another shot. Mic's Tip Sheet has backing stock options of Newsprint at 0.004 and newspaper at 0.003 for 1/4 inch and larger models. Telephone stock at 0.0015 is suggested for smaller scales like HO and N.

My best attempts are shown below. I'm sure this is a end-user screw-up, and it is probably a 29-cent error, but I always get this or worse when trying to use this technique. As Brett is using the process, it has to be something I'm doing wrong.

Plan "B" is to use the same roofing technique as I used for the SWSM O-Scale Tool Shed or go to a corrg. metal roof.

-- KP --

Edited by - hon3_rr on 06/07/2011 01:49:06 AM

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  02:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you two at it. As always it will be interesting to follow.

Elliott is your picture before or after you applied the Floquil Grime?

Kp the sheet on the rigth doesnt look too bad. Once you start cutting it into smaller sheets, you should get some nice variation across the whole roof.

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  06:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris.....JMO - I think the first sheet would
be cool for roofing the shed.....I like the
discoloration and weathered effect......

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the comments and support on the roofing material. I tried 3 more sheets last night with all of the results this morning being unacceptable. It does not really show in the pictures, but the creases and folds are just way to big, even for O-scale. As for the sheet on the right, over half of the sheet has the Kleenex gone and is just the paper colored by the paint. Even the very lightest touch rips the Kleenex when I use this technique. The problem has to be in how I try to 'paint' the tissue. I can only get very small sections to work.

I will also note that I think it is important to use the Folquil paints as a water base acrylic destroys the texture of the Kleenex due to the latex component.

Well, it's on to plan "B" for me.

-- KP --

Edited by - hon3_rr on 06/07/2011 12:08:48 PM

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  12:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is after the grime has been applied and dried. Kris - try dabbing lightly with less paint and go in circular motion around the center of the kleenex slowly working your creases out of the product.

Elliott

MorganHillRR
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  12:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to following along...Joe in Morgan Hill, CA

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh... yeah... That's what I have been doing this go-around, as well as past attempts. I find that with a dryer/less paint in the sponge (or brush) the Kleenex rips when I try to pull the sponge/brush away from the Kleenex. With a bit more paint the Kleenex rips when trying to smooth or pull the creases out of the tissue, or even when just keeping the tissue taunt as the paint is applied. I try to use the lightest touch I can in most cases. I have also tried to use a stippling motion with both the dryer and a full sponge, always the same ripping effect. Just not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it is something unique to the way I'm trying to do it as I have seen several people have outstanding success with this technique, and everyone says "... it's simple". I for sure see how it in necessary to work from the center out in the circular motion... I think that is one of the central principals of this technique. I have probably spent 10 plus hours playing with this technique over the years and have never produced anything of real value except in very small sections, like a 4th or 5th of a sheet, which I have used on some projects.

But I do want to thank you Elliott for the 'hints'.

-- KP --

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: Soldering Topic Next Topic: scratchbuilt Ghost Town Structure  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000