Railroad Line Forums - BTS McCabe Slatyfork Sawmill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 66 ]  [ Total: 69 ]  [ Newest Member: Billett-man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 BTS McCabe Slatyfork Sawmill
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RED STAG - day 1 Topic Next Topic: Narrow gauge + explosives = fun stuff!
Page: of 3

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  4:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little background...
Over a year ago I began planning an HO scale museum-style diorama based on several East Texas lumber mill operations of the early-to-mid 20th. century. The diorama is 3' wide and 12' in length and is designed to be freestanding and viewed from 360 deg. The two primary subject areas are the lumber mill complex and railroad shops. After a good bit of local and web-based research, not to mention several false starts and a substantial amount of waste basket material, I decided to go with Bill Wade's B.T.S. McCabe Lumber Co. Series of laser kits for the majority of the structures. To sort of get my feet wet and learn what laser kit building was all about, I began with the Sawdust Shed and Drying Kiln.

The idea is to complete the basic structure and add details, weathering, etc. when I get ready to put the complex together.

I recently began the Power House and am about 2/3rds of the way through it.

So that brings us to the sawmill. I mulled this over for almost a year - scratchbuild? kit-bash? laser kit? . . . Finally it was "bite the bullet" time.

Egads! There sure are a lot of pieces parts in that box!

I don't know if this will qualify as a "build thread," but I will try to post progress updates from time to time. And although standard gauge and more "lumber" than "logging," I'm posting here in hopes this is the appropriate forum.

Thanks for looking and your comments and critique are always welcome.

Len
http://escry.blogspot.com/

TRAINS1941
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  4:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Len

Looks like your off to a good start with the first two buildings. Nice work.
Will enjoy watching you tackle the sawmill.

I'm sure you will get a lot of followers.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  5:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great project, Len. Your sawdust shed is a fine piece.

Frederic Testard

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  7:43:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerry and Frederic!
Here's what's in the box.

The parts list says 1,680 pieces. I didn't count 'em - I'll take Bill's word on that...

Len

TRAINS1941
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  8:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Len

Just was on your site very nice. Great start.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  8:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thatís going to be a large diorama, Len. Do you plan to display it when you are finished?

Those first three buildings are a good start. Iím looking forward to watching your progress.

George

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2011 :  9:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!
George, the long term goal is public display - one of those museum/library/college lobby type things...

Len

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  5:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does your kit have the interior advertised by BTS in the mags?

Frederic Testard

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  7:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
No it doesn't, but I have the Keystone Locomotive Works interior detail set that came in their Bandsaw Mill kit. It was an older kit and the castings are real nice. The kits haven't been available for several years except old stock on eBay. The one I have was in a lot of several KLW kits and packages of detail parts I bought last year.

Len

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  7:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome - nice info on your webpages - looking forward to your build - always curious about this kit maker and his products - keep the pics coming - thanks

Elliott

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  01:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answer, Len. I'll be interested in seeing how the Keystone details assemble.

Frederic Testard

Excarknocker
New Hire

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  10:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Len,
Your off to a great start, the sawmill is a great kit. I built the entire complex for our club layout about 5 years ago, BTS makes great kits and I enjoyed building these. Have fun, I will be watching your progress along with everyone else here.
Mike

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Len, you have done a great job so far and I will be watching your progress. If you think the HO sawmill has lots of parts you need to check out the O scale version. I saw the completed shell at a show several years ago and it was fantastic, but huge.

Mark

W,L,&E

lostcanyonrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  4:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit lostcanyonrr's Homepage  Send lostcanyonrr an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do. I've got the whole complex and have been working on it on and off for years. I'm actually pretty close to finishing the interior with all the Keystone kits. I've added a lot of lights too. I won't "hijack" your thread but here's a picture of the table I recently built for my complex with folding legs.

I spent some time rearranging the layout so the log dump trestle goes under the jackslip like I've seen in some old pictures. You can also see the special 3-way turnout I've made with mixed gauge HO/HOn3 to access the log dump and storage racks for both gauges. The link to the video showing it in action is: http://jamestowntrains.com/gallery

I have some progress shots at: http://jim.wanlass.com/mr/jt/craftsmen/LPsawmillcomplex It hasn't been updated for a long time but I've made a lot progress on the sawmill and other buildings.

I have a feeling you'll be finished way before me but I've had a lot of fun over the years with it. Also, Bill from BTS is great to work with and I'd recommend any of his kits to anyone!

-Jim.

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  8:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the interest and the comments everyone!
Jim, I've been to your site a number of times. In fact that was where I first discovered the BTS kit! Also, I really like the table you built. Very nice work!
Mark, I don't even want to think about doing this in O scale...

Len

Len Turner
Section Hand

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  9:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spent all last week on the road, so not much progress this week. But, did get most of the wood parts pre-stained and painted.

Len

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: RED STAG - day 1 Topic Next Topic: Narrow gauge + explosives = fun stuff!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000