Railroad Line Forums - HVCC Coke Oven Bank
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 138 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: emmetshouse ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 HVCC Coke Oven Bank
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Table Top Topic Next Topic: False Front Store
Page: of 13

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting work on a major structure for my modules/layout - the Coke Ovens. Before I get started, let me give an overview of my plans here ..

Edited by - eTraxx on 03/18/2011 3:33:39 PM

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  3:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the photo below, I have labeled the various structures and items ....

[1] This is a cliff running along the back of the modules. It is about 8" above the level of the On30 track. That translates to 32 feet. At the far end there will be a water tank on this level. The tank will be filled by the Pump House that I have another thread on.
[2] On18 track. This (theoretically) connects with the On18 track coming from the coal mine on a friend's module. This is actually HOn30 Peco track. HOn30 is N gauge track but uses HO mechanisms (and scale). Like On30, HOn30 represents 30" gauge track. Using the HOn30 track in O scale though .. represents 18 inch gauge. This gives the opportunity for building various 'critters'.
[3] This is the Raw Coal Tipple/Bin. The On18 coal cars will dump the coal from the mines here. Not shown or labeled is the breaker which will sit below the Bin. That will break/crush the coal for further processing.
[4] This is the Washery. The crushed coal will enter the Washery at the very top .. that's a small bin just below the label [4] .. and be processed. In short what happens is that the coal has shale mixed it with it. The Washery runs this crushed coal/shale mix through agitation in water. The heavier rock will sink to the bottom of the agitation tank and the coal which is lighter will float to one side. This provides two sources for detailing/operation on the modules .. the washed coal and the 'trash' shale. The shale will be dumped .. and picked up by trucks for use in things like road construction.
[5] This is the Coal Bin that supplies the larrys. There will be a conveyor belt from the Washery to this structure.
[6] A coke larry. This small piece of equipment will take on a load of coal from the 'larry bin' [5] and then take that load to each individual oven. On the top of the ovens is an opening for charging the ovens. The larry has a chute on the bottom that allows charging the ovens.
[7] The larry track. I found it interesting that it is wide gauge - 6 to 7 foot gauge. COOL! The drawing doesn't show it but the track will extend under the coal bin.
[8*] The Coke Oven bank (the structure this thread is about)
[9] The Warf. This is the work area. When the coke is pulled from the oven, it falls onto the warf. We would also find cinders and ash here. This gives an opportunity for a lot of individual points of interest .. workers pulling coke, leveling a new charge, mudding up an oven, moving coke in wheelbarrows to the coke cars, ash carts picking up the cinders and ash (a cart pulled by a mule) .. lots of interesting things can be done.
[10] This is the siding for the Coke Oven bank. Here will be whatever kind of railcars used for transporting the coke. They used both boxcars and various hoppers. I personally like the hoppers since that means we can see the coke ... using boxcars would hide this.
[11] The On30 mainline
[12] Switch for the siding

90% or more of the structures have been constructed in Sketchup (it generated the drawing).

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  3:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's an overall view of the coke ovens. This is an older version but pretty close to what I will be building.

I'm planning on building it out of styrene (more then planning as I've started). The stone will be made from Sculpey and applied as a veneer.

Here's the start on the front wall as of last night. Floppy as all heck but that will change once everything starts to assemble. The internal walls between each oven I think .. will create a strong rigid structure.

I posted up on the NWSL Duplicutter II .. the styrene in that thread being cut are for this structure. In the drawing below .. the blue represents the floppy piece I was holding in the prior photo. The red part with the ellipse section I have started working on. Once the front is finished I will cut out (one piece) the back wall.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  4:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, one of those Cricut or Gazelle craft cutters would work good for those arches.
Looks like an ambitious project but will certainly add to your layout.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  5:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, already cut out. The styrene face you see is really just a support shell. The parts of the oven you see .. the brickwork, arches, etc. will all be cast. The styrene shell will support a veneer of 'stone' I'm planning on making from Sculpey.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  5:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed

That is going to be one great project. You posting on both forums??

Not that it matters I follow your work on both.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  7:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judging from your other projects, this should really be something. Looking foward to lots of photos as work progresses.

Roland

Gary
New Hire

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  9:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
once again wow

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  08:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This has been sitting for a week as I was doing other things. With all the dividers and the back I am ready to glue in the horizontal bit within each oven section that the (to be) oven castings will sit on. Need to make a jig so they all sit at the same height.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  5:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Ed, your work is truely first class.

Roland

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, but Ed, where is Ms Kitty going to lay now with those ovens in the way?

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Edited by - mabloodhound on 04/06/2011 7:13:54 PM

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  7:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can only agree with others...really first rate job....looking forward to seeing the "bank" in action....

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  8:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Looks good, but Ed, where is Ms Kitty going to lay now with those ovens in the way?

My bed of course. In fact .. both she and Tigger are there now. :)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  8:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed

Starting to really take shape now. This should be a really good thread.

Jerry

Ps: I sent you two emails on your forum did you ever get them??????

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  8:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Ed

Starting to really take shape now. This should be a really good thread.

Jerry

Ps: I sent you two emails on your forum did you ever get them??????

Jerry. My forum email is broke .. and I can't get the 'powers that be' do do squat (one MORE reason to switch hosts). I will PM you my REAL email.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed-

The coke oven complex is interesting from both a historic and operational perspective. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

I also have a stretch of On18 track on one of my modules. Have you given any thought to the buckets/rolling stock you will be using? Will your tram have a locomotive? I have been over on the Gnatterbox forum fishing for ideas.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Visit my Piedmont & East Blue Ridge Railroad
http://www.eastblueridge.com

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Table Top Topic Next Topic: False Front Store  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000