Railroad Line Forums - DCC in a B-Mann 0-4-0 Porter
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 DCC in a B-Mann 0-4-0 Porter
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Paint/Decal Remover Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol. 3  

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  6:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All
I had had a really crap day at work on Monday so I needed a release. I was staring at the 3 Porters and decided I needed to get some DCC in one of them. I've seen a few installations here and thought I'd try it a different way.
I did not want the light in the cab or the Head light on this model so they were removed. I also did not want the decoder under the loco or having to paint over any exposed wires. I spent about an hour looking at alternatives and came up with this. I think the decoder is a TCS M-1. It's small. I removed the shrink, desoldered the white, blue and yellow wires.
You can see from the pictures that I drilled a #33 hole through the wall that divided the casting into the boiler and the fire box. I removed the spring contacts from the cab for the interior light so the wire now could snake through the small space and end up in the cab, low towards the floor. I than was able to slip the decoder between the fire box and cab wall all the way forward , basically almost completely hidden. It shows up in the pictures due to the flash and the angle of view, but in regular lighting and with an engineer standing in front there is no way to see the decoder.

There is more than enough room for wires to run along side the motor and still be out of the way of the Saddletank

Foam Tape to mount the decoder to the cab wall.

Saddle Tank installed. Wireing all hidden, no painting required.

In normal lighting , it's visible a little. If I were to paint everything black, it will never show..

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2011 :  10:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking install. I will be putting a Lenz gold with power 1 module in a 0-4-2 Porter soon and hope I can hide it as well. I had to paint wires when I put a tsunami in a porter.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  08:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin
Where did you hide the speaker? Under the cab roof?
Mike M

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  10:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike
Its stuck to the roof with double sided tape. Its not visible at normal viewing angles. I used a 1/2" speaker and it sounds pretty good for its small size.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  1:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Glad to see another way to install a decoder in a Porter. Nice work.

Kevin,

Looking forward to reading about your install.

Tom M.

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2011 :  5:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, pictures of my Porter are on page two of this topic. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27377&whichpage=2

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

Previous Topic: Paint/Decal Remover Topic Next Topic: Coast Line RR vol. 3  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000