Railroad Line Forums - Coast Line RR Vol. 4
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 198 ]  [ Total: 201 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Coast Line RR Vol. 4
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Sub road bed Topic Next Topic: David Myrick, railroad historian
Page: of 101

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  05:35:30 AM  Show Profile

" Stay Motivated in Life "
http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_mario_rapinett.html

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile
Reading all of these imaginative stories makes me think how well this entire layout would fit into a novel.
Imagine reading a book where you could actually see the figures and buildings in a scale setting.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  09:30:22 AM  Show Profile
Dave, the thought has crossed my mind! Wasn't it John Allen who spoke of a litterary quality of modeling? Whenever I paint a figure I can't help making up stories about them. And all my structures have a history somewhere inside my head... would be fun, when/if the layout were ever finished, to write a fictional tour of the coast line RR...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Edited by - kirk on 03/09/2011 2:20:05 PM

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  09:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage
We once had a wonderful Model railroad author here in Sweden named Krister Brandt.
He had a railroad (wich lives on even today, he passed away a few years ago...) it was named "WNJ", the "Westergötland Nerikes Järnvägar" in Swedish.
He wrote a yearbook back in -92 (or -93..), where he told the entire history of the WNJ company from the fictive beginning in the late 1600´s where the steel foundrys began to evolve, and to the end of the railroad companys existence in the 1960´s when it would have been acquired by the Swedish state railroads.
It is so well written that there is no way of telling if it is real or not (wich it of course isn´t).
He had a sense of humor and described the characters in such a way that they really came alive!
Some of the memorable stories was about the "Soda company" that made "Strong sodas with an adult flavor".
Or the story about the time the Foreman decided it was easier to steal the weighing shed from the rivaling company than to build their own, and wich ended in a big spectacle at the railroads yard, all described with wonderful pictures from the railroad and illustrations and maps!

I wish that there was an English translation of that book!

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

Edited by - Graffen on 03/09/2011 1:27:11 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  10:21:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kirk

Whenever I paint a figure I can't help making up stories about them.

Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Methinks Leo is onto something.

I agree that it is very unusual that a ship should have that type of radio direction finder, and a powerful one at that.

Regarding the business of the raincoat fellow, I counsel Kirk not to dismiss the man outside Lucky's bar so lightly. He may have fooled you into the belief that he lives with his mother and sells stamps.

Observe and compare:

I do not think that there is a coincidence that there are not one but TWO raincoat men; one in each pictures, and that the picture-taking is but a cover for sinister activities.

If you will, you may want to compare this ship to the ship that allegedly calls itself the SS Odin, and observe the similarities:

Thereby leading one to consider the possibility that what appears to be an innocuous trawler may be nothing more than a nefarious conversion or disguise.

I do not want to raise any alarm, but I propose the theory that the peaceful tranquility of the Coast Line may indeed have been infiltrated by agents of an unfriendly nation, and that subterfuge is at hand!

Arthur

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:44:40 AM  Show Profile
These discussions remind me of the novels of Alan Furst, set before or in the early days of WWII. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=alan+furst&x=0&y=0 ) These novels are great, they have a real sense of time and place. There's more boats than trains in them, though.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message
Just beautiful Troels.

Who needs an expensive kit when all it takes is a bit of foam and a few odds and ends! (Oh, thats right - I do!)

The dry brushing has works wonders on those rivets. I think my favourite model of yours to date (but I do love boats, so probably somewhat prejudice).

Cheers, Mark.

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  2:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Man, you guys speculate!! Just re-visited the movie "Conspiracy Theory", and you guys seemed peculiarly familiar ;-) RDF's of that kind were quite common in the days before Decca. I was taught to use one for my yachtmaster exam. Heck, my first yacht had an old one, not as big, but still.... There must have been radio beacons in many lighthouses along the Maine coast back then, with all that fog. I'll begin digging into that...

Graff, I loved the stories from Krister Brandt... his characters were imaginative and quirky.

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Dodgezilla04
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  3:09:27 PM  Show Profile
WoW..........

Chris.

MT Hopper
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Very nice ship. Found this data in my files for the S/S Odin. Built in 1908 by Trondheims Mekaniske Versted for Trondheim Lighter Company. Refitted 1925 and 1935. Length 108 ft Beam 18 ft 3 in Draught 12 ft with 179 g.r.t. Had a triple expansion Scotch Boiler. Used as a passenger ship and a tug. later sold.
The S/S Viking ended up here in NewFoundLand in 1904 as a sealing ship.

Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

Edited by - MT Hopper on 03/09/2011 4:36:52 PM

DHM
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile
Hold the intrigue...I got a question:...on the tarp over the hold on the Odin are bright white strips...they look like scraps of paper siding...in fact thats what I thought they were until I noticed the tools....what is that?....they look quite bright next to the rather subdued earthy colors everwhere else......but maybe thats a trick of photography and/or my monitor setting...also...would the low end of the gangplank be placed on the canvas cover?...wouldnt they put it down on the deck itself?...Id hate to bounce on the tarp coming down the ramp with a keg of grog for the midnight watch...

Of course Im a landlubber and know virtually zip about seamanship...

Don
Anchorage AK

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  01:07:52 AM  Show Profile
Don, the white strips are balsa planks, and are slightly weathered in real life, to simulate new planks. There is a hammer and a saw lying by them.

The tarp does not bounce at all... underneath is a deck of quite sturdy planks (don't know their english term) covering the cargo hold. Your bouncing tarp and grog reminded me rather painfully of a night spent drinking very heavily aboard a finnish owned giant racing trimaran (finns have a way...)... the worst part was leaving, walking on the big net trampoline wing, climbing the tyre fenders on the quay, then down on our own liveaboard catamaran, where I according to my wife spent several hours clinging desperately to the root of the mast inside the cabin ;o)

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

DHM
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  12:43:41 PM  Show Profile
OK I get it..I saw the tarp as a tent like structure...but its covering a firm deck..

I lived in Kodiak for a while so I got the grog-boat connection down..but that was the extent of my nautical experience...enough grog even solid ground tends to bounce...I hung out for a while with a guy and his wife..Canadians, lived on a sailboat and did contracting in Kodiak and they would go to Samoa on contract for the USGS periodically and do depth soundings to keep the charts updated...loved to drink beer too...

Don

Anchorage AK

Ollie
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  1:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ollie's Homepage
Hmmm... I guess our captain is a wise guy not to order the loading off those goods untill the strange man in the trensh coat has dissappeared from the docks... or he might find a way to discuise those wooded barrels tucked away in that corner his load. BTW, is the customs having an office in town? If not, once the mysterious man in trench coat left the town or turned in to shark bate, it is OK to send a box car right next to the ship. That is bymy humble opinion a more descrete way to deliver the goods, than having a few trucks in the middle of the night... All this might explain why there has been sightings of some rather luxurious expensive cars parked in town... I guess the boys in Chicago dealing with liguer have branched out a bit.

www.olaviahokas.com/trainstuff

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Sub road bed Topic Next Topic: David Myrick, railroad historian  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000