Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  03:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well I have made some progress on my magnuson shop kitbash. Please bare in mind that this kit was bought second hand, assembled, and rather untidy! I pulled it appart, sawed the front and back walls into the different shop components, and then reassembled them to suit my needs, splicing walls together as necessary. The original kit is a large rectangle all on the same level. The glue reminants are not mine! I also prized off the glazing as necessary for painting.

The individual shops are quite small and my fingers will not fit in when fully assembled from underneth (as is my usual practice) so I will leave the back off until after I have painted and finished the interiors. The shops are reasonably close to the front of the layout, so I think some interior detail would be nice. The two end shops have hip roofs and are rectangular in shape, while the middle shop is a wedge with a shorter back than front, and so I have made this roof flat with a slight slope to the back. The hip roofs with be clad in Campbells corrigated iron, with central gutters beside the parapette walls. I have blocked in some of the windows (where they were too damaged, and where I cut through the middle of one to fit my new shape). The seams are puttied and I have added foundation stonework to the fronts. I will prime the structure and then re-examine to see what glue residue is still too visible, and then devise ways of hidding this (stucco with bricks showing through in places, outside stairways, signage, downpipes and exterior wiring, veranders, ivy etc will all hide the previous errors). I cut out the door at the far right of the structure and recessed it back into the building, adding steps down to suite the footpath. The central door in the middle structure has been replaced with a Tichy shopfront door.

Here are some pics.

view from the front.

view looking up the road showing the different roof planes.

view looking down the road.

view showing the interior from the back.

view of the back.

a view showing the shops on the diorama.

and here's a pic of the plaster viaduct I carved, in position on the diorama.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  03:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is looking fabulous. I really like all the angles and differences in height. Your weathering on the finished structures is very nice too.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  05:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good job Mark!

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  08:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The interesting arrangement of the buildings makes all that cutting and fitting worth while. Looking good, Mark.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  08:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I've been away for a while, man I have a ton of catching up to do. This is looking just incredible.

Danny Head
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great carved stone!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  12:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work on arranging the building into your sloped street scape Mark.
And equally excellent work carving the stone work on that culvert.

Greg Shinne

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  5:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys. Thanks for all the comments Neil, Bob, George, Frank, Danny and Greg - they are much appreciated.

A little progress so thought I would upload a couple of shots. The shops primed up quite well, and there weren't that many nasty blemishes left behind. I have painted the brickwork, but not the trim yet. I went for quite an orange brickwork this time - I can't use my favourite colour all the time! The two hip roofs have been put together, although the corrugated iron roof still needs the ridge capping. I think the stone building looks good with a tile roof, and it is in keeping. The middle roof will be painted sand paper.

view of the back

shops from the front

view up street

I'm thinking a grocer (middle), a butcher (stone building), and a bookshop (closest).

If anyone knows of any good sites with colour pics of shop fronts from the 1930's (or a bit ealier or later) I would love to take a look.

More soon, cheers Mark.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  2:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice line of buildings Mark ! Love al these angles on the modules..

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  04:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the compliment Martin - it is much appreciated.

Just a quick update. I got some paint on my shops so here's a pic.

Colours are engine black and reefer white, roof brown and antique white, and reefer grey and dark green - all Floquil. The stone work and cut stone on the end shop are Woodland Scenics slate grey (I think? - it was really a bit of a mix from their 8 piece paint set)

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  12:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Well the shops have moved on a bit, but I'm stuck on signage at the moment. I need to get into the library and have a look at some old newspapers from 1932. I want lots of pricings of grocerys and the like (pounds, not dollars). Librarys are tricky here. Our main one was munted in the earthquake and they have only recently reclaimed everything. And then a couple of weeks ago our local (and only a few years old) library was deemed well under earthquake code, dangerous, and closed (I've been going there weekly since feb 2011).

Anyway, not wanting to slow progress, I moved onto my next structure.

This one is a flipped, reworked, low relief version of E. L. Moore's VC fertilizer works from the August 1970 MRR, spliced with the front wall of Hinkle milling co. from January 1982 RMC.

I thought I'd share my technique for getting internal corners on weather board structures nice and tight. I don't like the way you can see the little gaps where the cut edge of the wall butts in against the undutaling texture of the other wall. So I firstly mark where the walls will meet, run a sharp knive down the wall, making several passes, but only cutting a small way through the wall. I then chisel the weatherboards off flat up to the cut line, and then chisel in the oppisite direction to make a flat surface for the bracing, cutting another line to form a flat groove.

I then hold the second wall in place, nice and tight, and mark the back side of it with a sharp pencil. I glue a straight piece of bracing wood right up to the line.

Here are the two pieces, unglued, just sitting in position.

In other news - we had our annual Trainz weekend the weekend just gone, and I gave my first talk and first workshop. I was nervous about the talk, but had spent considerable time putting together a power point presentation, and so had a very clear path of ideas. I think that helped emensly. I broke my talk into two sections - 1: designing from the outside in - where I talked about using mockups as part of the working process, leading lines and 'chunking' (ie the corner diorama), the most important point being to create your terrain first and then fit your structures. 2: making your structures unique - kit-bashing, kit-mingling and scratch-building. Here we touched on things such as trying to get the essence of a prototype structure, using low and half relief to get the most from your building sites, and bringing a structure to life and giving it your own personality with details.

The workshop was a hands on, painting and weathering brickwork and wood weatherboard. I spent a large part of the rest of the weekend helping an 11 year old turn his workshop achievements into a low relief structure for his layout. Its nice to get the next generation enthused about this great hobby!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  07:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice clean corner, Mark. Thanks for the tip.

George

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  08:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Impressive row of buildings you're building !

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  08:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,I really like that technique for internal corners!
Seems to work perfectly and most important it looks great!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2012 :  02:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for your comments George, Martin and Greg, they are always appreciated.

I've been chipping away at the new factory so thought I'd share a couple of shots of where I'm up to.

Walls are all finished and mostly assembled (the front extention is still just sitting in place, as is the addition to the right). Windows and door are not fixed in yet. Brickwork is painted up for the stack to sit on and the foundation to the left, but not yet assembled. Had to think a bit about how to make the right end addition rubust and stay straight when it is only about 1/4" thick. I'll reveal how I did it when the structure is fully assembled. The colours are more of a contrast than in the pics. Main colour is Floquil earth, trim is Floquil roof brown. Lots of rafter tails coming up!

More soon!
Cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 08/18/2012 02:52:58 AM

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000