Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark:

I really like the brewery. Ingenious use of the little Woodland Scenics kit. Can't wait to see you progress.

Karl S.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  09:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  6:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the design of this brewery. I'll be watching with pleasure your finished model of it.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  7:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Sharp looking brewery.
The stack could be taller. Swap out a taller one and see if you like it. Historically they were much higher and often used to advertise the product.

It's only make-believe

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  12:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your module is rapidly growing into a real beauty! I love the steepnes, the constant changing of angles and levels...

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  06:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking module, second Troels !

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  10:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Sorry its been so long - I have been busy, but attempting to multi-task (still am!).

Firstly, thank you for all the great comments Karl S, Philip, Frederic, Bob, Troels and Martin. Its always good to get positive feedback. Bob - thanks for your input regards the height of that stack - you'll notice it is now taller.

I've been off on a tangent over the last few weeks, but found out three weeks ago that I was to display my diorama at the local train show last weekend. I had tried to find out about this a long while ago with the intention of chipping away at it in the meantime, but when I heard nothing back decieded to have a little break. So, with vertually no time left, I decided to try to get a little more done for the show.

So, here is the last big kitbashing project for the Tellynott corner diorama...

Heres a view from the back showing the bracing etc. It always amazes me just how big of a structure you can give the apparence of in a very small space.

Two roads disappear from view into this building. The bottom road going into the n-scale tunnel entrance goes around a 22.5 degree corner and then there will be a mirror. The chimney of Domain brewery should prevent unwanted reflections and not give the secret away.

I managed to get the last large kitbash pretty close to finished for the show - painted, weathered, some signage and a large billboard. The show went very well, with very few incidents. One pair of small hands picked up, dropped on the floor and broke one of my vehicles - but that was it for damage. I added blocks of timber under the base of the diorama, drilled holes, and poked through electric fence pigtails which I threaded rope through to keep little hands away - not completely successful, but close. There was a lot of interest, and on sunday it was pretty much non stop. A lot of people commented that from a distance the diorama looked like a flat screen TV. I must say, I am very pleased with how the lighting has turned out, and the cool white suits the Tellynott colour pallet perfectly. Many of the men were interested in the back of the curved wall. I worked on one of the unfinished structures while I was there (very little progress as I had to answer many questions), but people were also very interested in watching this. I also think having the diorama not fully finished didn't hurt at all. It let people see the materials used, the layers of the build, and I think made the end result look more achievable for those who had never tried anything like it (most of the viewers). I had sketches of the uncompleated, or unstarted structures pinned in place, and people were also very interested in this. Most comments from small kids was something along the lines of "where are the trains? Why aren't there any trains?" I had a plan of my layout showing where the corner diorama fit into it, and that it was the start of something much bigger, and this too many were interested in (it also gave the parents of the small kids the information needed to explain why there weren't any trains). I think the most common comment by those who lingered for a long while was about how much depth I had created in my scene in a not very deep area. Nice to hear, as this is certainly one of my main aims. Altogether a very sucessful and enjoyable weekend - and I even managed to sneak off and find a few bargins!

Here is a pic of the diorama set up.

I'll post a few shots of the structure in a sec.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  11:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi again!

Right - well here is an overall view of the structure in place. It is made from two design presivation M. T. Arms hotel back walls, City Classics Iron Front side and back walls, a locally made n-scale plaster tunnel entrance, part of a bridge support and other scrap materials.

here's a closer view of the bricks.

Even closer!

And a close up of the two tunnels.

There is still a bit to do - some seams to hide and other details, roads to put in etc. I was going for a very weathered look with this one.

Its back to a bit of a rest on this diorama though I think. The easter convention in Wellington is only 6 months away and I'd like to enter something in the structure part of the compitition. I've got two things on the go - my airated water diorama which is on hold while I wait for my order with Walthers to arrive, and MC Fanny Schwanh's Confectionary which I started yesterday (although I've been thinking about it for a while). I'd love to take My Tellynott Corner Diorama up to wellington, but it is about 6 hours driving and three hours on the Cook Straight ferry - thats two days of travel with lots of potential damage on the way (although my wife pointed out to me thats probably about the equivalent of fifteen minutes driving on post earthquake Christchurch roads!).

Thanks for checking in on my progress,
Cheers, mark.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  04:35:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This big building is a terrific model, Mark. It closes the left side in a great manner.
A six hour drive on good roads would not be a major problem, the three hours on the ferry can be another matter if the sea is not nice.

Mr Lucky
Section Hand

Posted - 10/15/2011 :  09:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Lucky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is really cool! Being new to the building scene...where did you get those great looking pipes for the footwear shop? The finish on those looks fantastic! The whole thing looks fantastic, but the detail with the drains really looks good. I love the hillside road you put in.
The weathering on your latest update looks really nice. The foundation is really looking good too.

Mr Lucky....Erik
http://public.fotki.com/MrLucky/
http://erikrdavis.com/

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  05:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Frederic - you are right. The car trip is not too bad, and I haven't ruled it out completely yet. I see our nations are to play off next week for the rugby world cup! Good luck (and go the all blacks!)

Mr Lucky - thanks for your complements. The drainage is just parts from a Walthers tank car loading platform, cut and glued together as needed. I had intentions of an entire hotel side wall on an ealier kibash - I had drawn up the plans etc but ran out of time. Here is a pic of my inspiration - a hotel side wall in Melbourne. I will do a slightly simpler version of this one day. It seems to be such a cool detail, but one very seldomly modelled.

Cheers, mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 10/18/2011 3:15:57 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2011 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing a lot of external draining pipes in Hong Kong. Someone told me that's because the climate causes problems with even tile pipes, and it's a lot easier to maintain/replace them if they're on the outside. Seeing this on a Melbourne building is a bit of a surprise, though.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Mr Lucky
Section Hand

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Lucky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark - again this is looking great. Thanks also for the info on the drain pipes. I found a set yesterday and got them ordered, thanks for taking the time to pass that along, I do appreciate it. The pipes on the outside really give the buildings that extra pop of detail and interest, now I need to build something taller than a one story garage to try it.

Mr Lucky....Erik

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  3:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mr Lucky - I sent you a private message.

Mr Lucky
Section Hand

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  3:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Lucky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark - reply sent. 8-)

Mr Lucky....Erik

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000