Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  09:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, impressive. The brick colors look very convincing. What did you use to paint the brick?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/22/2019 09:21:04 AM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  1:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, that's a unique way to paint large wall surfaces.
It's like a sort of camouflage technique... brickflage!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  7:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great to see so many comments! Thanks for all your interest Michael, Robert, Bill, Carl, Jerry, Rich, Frank and Greg! Very much appreciated!

Michael - I was getting that first coat on at My friend, Neil's, house on Thursday and every time he walked past he said 'that's a huge building!'

Robert - yes - and there are about 15 different sorts. It took ages to find the right number of different ones - especially as one of my lists had 114 and another 113. It took me about an hour and 3 tries to find the discrepancy!

Carl - I went to find my box of Slaters plasticard to answer your questions to discover it is actually Wills! They are OO scale but with the brick and stonework (which comes in different sizes in the prototype anyway) I find the difference unnoticeable. The brick comes in several different bonds and has great detail. Below is a photo of some of their products and one of my side walls painted up using their brick plasticard. The only thing is the pieces are quite small.

Thanks Jerry and Rich. Its only all the outside stuff that is stopping my from getting things done faster!

Bill, Frank and Greg - I read about this technique somewhere on line years ago. There is still more steps to go in the process. I took some progress shots to give a little tutorial but unfortunately I had forgotten to put my memory card back in the camera. There are about 10 photos in the cameras memory, but I cant get them off as the connection from the camera is broken (hence why I now remove the card to transfer the photos to the camera). I used 'Fas' burnt sienna acrylic as the base colour, applied with a sponge. I work on smallish areas at a time. Once this is on and I have tended to any missed sections (around positive detail protrusions) with a stiff brush, I then dabbed and smudged on 'Kaisercolour' raw sienna, and then black. I do this while the first colour is still wet (hence the working on small areas at a time). I then went back over with the burnt sienna without reapplying more paint to the sponge. This helped blend the colours. Using a sponge is done to try to keep paint thin in the mortar lines so the mortar will take better. Next is to pick out some individual bricks, a contrast colour on the detail brickwork (raw sienna) and grey for the concrete details.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  8:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Outstanding, I'm going to have to try that the next time I do brick. Looking forward to the finished product.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/23/2019 8:24:45 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  9:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mark!

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  07:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never heard of the "Wills" product.

Thanks for the info Mark....

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  2:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If anyone is keen to try out some of the Wills products I normally buy anything in the UK through Hattons. Here is a link to the different Wills plasticard pieces.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000485/1000588/1000799/0/wills_kits_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_construction_materials_plastic/prodlist.aspx

Cheers, Mark.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/25/2019 :  01:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark. I've used Will products, and although smaller than say Evergreen sheets its is very nice quality. Slaters is another English brand I like too, and they have the larger sheets.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  02:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the info, Robert.

Sorry about the delay. I've been multi tasking, working on my backstory, overall plan and chipping away at this project. It is big and everything takes a long time. The painting of all the sills and other concrete details was fiddly and time consuming and I needed to do it in several sittings. It was then on to grouting which I did with chalk and fixative. I have just started on glazing and installing the windows.

Overall of the painted and grouted hospital.

In slightly closer.

A close up of the underground section with windows installed and glazed. I was pleased with how the colour of the windows turned out - I think very hospital like.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  07:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lot of raised eyebrows to paint. Well done. The windows and mortar look good. The hospital has mass and weight.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  09:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your hospital building is shaping up rather well, and looks impressive!

Greg Shinnie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  10:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That is ridiculous, but I love it.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  10:50:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOW!!
The eight story hospital is impressive!

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  11:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It has a Victorian look with the varied brick color, which places it out of the ordinary. Nicely done.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2019 :  11:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outstanding work on the brick, Mark.

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000